Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats a recommended Tripod ?

Originally posted by xin
    Eh... Manfrotto 190 weighs 1.9kg.... but thats without the head....
    With the head.... can be about 3kg.....
    I wanted to get that initially... but after holding it.... I gave up the idea..... too heavy.....
    You mean the head weight 1kg ?
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Depends wat head U get.... the one I almost bought weighs about 1kg.....
    Think the head will weigh about 0.7kg or more.....

Originally posted by majere2sg
    Slik Sprint Pro or Manfrotto 190ProB
    I think I seen the Slik Print at Cathay Photo before, the legs look quite
    thin, Is it stable ?

I like the 190ProB for the fact that the centre column can be used both
    horizontally and vertically ( Are there any other tripods with this feature ?) but it is 1.9kg so I don't really know how heavy it will be to carry it all around.
    Thanks
    Stability is important, but weight is also another important factor in ur choice of tripod. Like wat fruitybix said, a tripod >> 2 kg can resemble a sackful of bricks after lugging it ard for a whole day. I feel that 190ProB should be good enuff for ur current needs, and will also serve u well if u intend to upgrade to DSLR in the future. The best way of course is to go down to CP or AP wif your gear and try it out on both tripods, with the ball or pan head of ur choice (for the Manfrotto, Sprint Pro comes wif its own head). Also try carrying both tripods w/ the head on and that way u can find out heavy each one is.

Actually best is still CF tripod...for e.g the Gitzo line...lightweight yet sturdy...but also damn pricey...sigh...

I think not everyone needs the horizontal mount feature of the 190/055 Pro models.

If you are willing to give up that feature, then the 190CL(Classic) or 190D(Basic) is almost 300grams lighter.

Be sure to check the combined weight of the tripod and head and the total bulk in relation to your shooting gear.

You mean the head weight 1kg ?
    141RC weighs 1kg....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

I agree with fruitybix, unless you are getting DSLR is very near future....then as well go for the better one like 190B or CF tripod. For a light setup like F717, Slik U-series is good enough

IMO...height is not really important (I am 1.8+), it is the weight, you may not feel the 1kg different when you are comparing it in the shop....but wait till u carry it for a day or two, then the 1kg really make a different...

the tripod head is another important factor too, especially for ball head, if the weight cannot support the weight, you will see the camera starts moving if you are using DSLR + long lens + flash. For me, i am using one of the cheapest and lightest CF tripod + a good ball head for smooth movement, i dun have problem shooting yesterday fireworks even i extend the center column all the way up

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    I think not everyone needs the horizontal mount feature of the 190/055 Pro models.

If you are willing to give up that feature, then the 190CL(Classic) or 190D(Basic) is almost 300grams lighter.

Be sure to check the combined weight of the tripod and head and the total bulk in relation to your shooting gear.
    I just checked the weight of the 190CL and 190D at the manfrotto website and it seem like they weight only 100g lighter than the 190Pro which is at 1.9kg.

Btw, how useful is the horizontal mount ? Good for taking close up shots ?

Slik sprint pro is light.. 0.8Kg but is it able to support F717 with the telephoto convertor plus the flash (around 1.4kg) ? The legs really look weak to me
    As for the U Series, the Slik website did not specify the minimum operating height, does it means they can't go as low as 20 to 30 cm ?
    Thanks guys for your inputs

Just tried my colleague's 055pro. The tripod very stable and good. Can reach to a comfortable height without extending out the centre column. Weight feel okay for the moment but think will become very heavy after holding it for long period of time.

Finally got the 190PROB and with the 486RC2 ballhead.
    Very good and stable and the height with the column extended out good and suitable for me
    But I haven't got any tripod bag. Was shown 2 types of manfrotto bags, one at $30 (quite thin) and another at $55 (thicker) but didn't buy them. Does anyone knows of any good quality tripod bags (suitable to hold the 190PROB) but not so expensive ($35 or less?) or must I really go for the manfrotto bag ?

use a tripod strap?

Very good and stable and the height with the column extended out good and suitable for me
    But I haven't got any tripod bag. Was shown 2 types of manfrotto bags, one at $30 (quite thin) and another at $55 (thicker) but didn't buy them. Does anyone knows of any good quality tripod bags (suitable to hold the 190PROB) but not so expensive ($35 or less?) or must I really go for the manfrotto bag ?
    So how much did u pay for the tripod and the ballhead?

Just wonder if u backpack? weight and size of the tripod are factors that u should consider. Ask urself how many pic with tripod?
    Last edited by alexlkk; 22nd June 2003 at 12:30 AM.

Congrats on your new purchases! Good choices for both tripod and head. Like KoolBlue, I'm also wondering how much u got the tripod for and where u got it. Hope u dun mind sharing.

Personally I think using a tripod strap is much better than a bag. Reason being u can unsling and set up ur tripod much faster, and more hassle-free without the bag (got to zip/unzip etc.) Also, I dun really like carrying the bag around w/ the rest of my gear...dunno why...doesn't feel comfortable on my shoulder. I'm also planning on getting a tripod strap soon...if u opt for the strap, get the Optech one....selling at about $30 at CP (tho I heard that its cheaper at AP but AP no stocks ) . Its well padded and thus more comfortable to use than the plain canvas strap used on the bag.

Just my 2 cts, as always, its best to "try b4 u buy".

Originally posted by Garion
    Congrats on your new purchases! Good choices for both tripod and head. Like KoolBlue, I'm also wondering how much u got the tripod for and where u got it. Hope u dun mind sharing.

Personally I think using a tripod strap is much better than a bag. Reason being u can unsling and set up ur tripod much faster, and more hassle-free without the bag (got to zip/unzip etc.) Also, I dun really like carrying the bag around w/ the rest of my gear...dunno why...doesn't feel comfortable on my shoulder. I'm also planning on getting a tripod strap soon...if u opt for the strap, get the Optech one....selling at about $30 at CP (tho I heard that its cheaper at AP but AP no stocks ) . Its well padded and thus more comfortable to use than the plain canvas strap used on the bag.

Just my 2 cts, as always, its best to "try b4 u buy".
    $150 for the tripod and $80 for the head. I think might be a bit over the normal prices ? Got them from mscolor. I tried using the normal bag strap and seem to work fine but haven't actually tried to carry it outside yet Maybe I will try and see how the optech one works

wah maj... so powerful tripod...

my slik U8000 only $45 but i think it's really really stable already.. and it's only 1.5kg so easy to carry around.. lol

does it make sense to get the manfrotto 190PRO and then use a cheapo head for long outdoor days?

I've got myself the Manfrotto 719BLK, and find it quite useful, although it is good for fixed position shots, and cannot be used with my video camera. Any comments on this tripod?

To put 5kg on a 190 is pushing it. I suggest you go with the 055 if you anticipate that kind of load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12