Thread: Places of interest in Shanghai

Default Places of interest in Shanghai

Hi, will be heading to Shanghai this May, so was wondering if anyone can recommend some "die die must go take photo" places of interest.

I am looking for places that are not too crowded with tourists..

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Places of interest in Shanghai

Quote Originally Posted by meukow View Post
    Hi, will be heading to Shanghai this May, so was wondering if anyone can recommend some "die die must go take photo" places of interest.

I am looking for places that are not too crowded with tourists..

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!
    (1) The Bund a.k.a 外滩, especially when it is lighted up at night. Remember to take your tripod along. However, the whole stretch of 中山路 is under major road construction. The bridge that has one of the best view to capture the splendor of The Bund was torn down to make way for underground road tunnels.

(2) Oriental Pearl Tower a.k.a 东方明珠, especially at night too when it is lighted up.

(3) 南京路, at night. The colourful neon lights lighted that street is nice.

If you are on a free-and-easy trip, book a day tour to 杭州. Places like 西湖, 雷锋塔 and 灵隐寺 offers many opportunities to shoot.
    Last edited by diCam; 20th April 2008 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    (1) The Bund a.k.a 外滩, especially when it is lighted up at night. Remember to take your tripod along. However, the whole stretch of 中山路 is under major road construction. The bridge that has one of the best view to capture the splendor of The Bund was torn down to make way for underground road tunnels.

(2) Oriental Pearl Tower a.k.a 东方明珠, especially at night too when it is lighted up.

(3) 南京路, at night. The colourful neon lights lighted that street is nice.

If you are on a free-and-easy trip, book a day tour to 杭州. Places like 西湖, 雷锋塔 and 灵隐寺 offers many opportunities to shoot.
    thanks for the advice bro..

u happen to know if we can go up the pearl tower and take night shots from there?

u happen to know if we can go up the pearl tower and take night shots from there?
    Yes you can. Pay for the entrance fee. Can't remember how much though... It can get hazy during night time so make your decision wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    Yes you can. Pay for the entrance fee. Can't remember how much though... It can get hazy during night time so make your decision wisely.
    ah.. no free lunch in this world i guess.. haha..

will see the situation there before i decide.. thanks for the tips..

I think it's better off you go to Jin Mao Tower (Hyatt hotel) and take Pearl Oriental Tower. There's a nice viewing observatory thats less crowded and iirc 1/2 the price.

Other places you can go in Shanghai will be Cheng Huang Miao, including the Yuyuan. Some other places that i have not went but heard quite good are the Tourist Tunnel (guang Guang Sui Dao- basically is some laser-lighted tunnel where u take the MR across the river) and Under waterworld.

From Airport, you should try the Maglev train also.. 1/2 price with valid boarding pass. It's very nice and comfortable and fast. Helps cut down your taxi journey by 1/2 hr at least.

i'd give jin mao tower a try too..

thanks for the heads up..

ok another shanghai qns..

anyone knows of any camera equipment/accessories store there?

ok another shanghai qns..

anyone knows of any camera equipment/accessories store there?
    I think Shanghainese and Singaporean are very intriguely bonded, even pricing of camera about the same. As for accessories, never did any comparison.

take the maglev during the day. hits speeds over 300km/h and you wun feel a thing inside. prepare your camera as they will show the speed within the cabin.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    I think Shanghainese and Singaporean are very intriguely bonded, even pricing of camera about the same. As for accessories, never did any comparison.
    haha.. noted, but will go ask around and check the prices since i'm there..

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    take the maglev during the day. hits speeds over 300km/h and you wun feel a thing inside. prepare your camera as they will show the speed within the cabin.
    i'll definitely try that on my return..