Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think this is correct?

Default Re: Do you think this is correct?

On hindsight, it is always easier for someone to ask "Why wasn't it done the right way in the first place?" In construction, things move very fast and quick(sometimes hasty) decisions are made every now and then. While I don't condone wrong decisions, I also acknowledge that they are inevitable. Have you been able to avoid errors that don't cost you a single cent?

Based on current rates, anti-slip replacement tiles cost about $35 to $45 per m.sq. This is a small price to pay if it can save a few people from breaking bones, especially the seniors. Be thankful that the town council is doing something to correct a mistake. Its not like that somewhere else. Of course, I'm only speculating the reasons for changing the tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Interesting...

When it is raining and wet, people should be walking under covered walkway, right?
    he did mentioned wet tiles after the rain..

as a fireman, i personally was alerted that a woman fell after slipping off tiles similar to the pictures while in firepost. went to check it out. she suffered bruises on her chest and broke her leg i think. called the ambulance for her.

it wasnt even raining at that time.
    Last edited by anadivine; 20th April 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    On hindsight, it is always easier for someone to ask "Why wasn't it done the right way in the first place?" In construction, things move very fast and quick(sometimes hasty) decisions are made every now and then. While I don't condone wrong decisions, I also acknowledge that they are inevitable. Have you been able to avoid errors that don't cost you a single cent?

Based on current rates, anti-slip replacement tiles cost about $35 to $45 per m.sq. This is a small price to pay if it can save a few people from breaking bones, especially the seniors. Be thankful that the town council is doing something to correct a mistake. Its not like that somewhere else. Of course, I'm only speculating the reasons for changing the tiles.
    They got quite a few blocks to replace from what I see.
    They may even make the same mistake twice. They have just replaced the tiles in the water bay with one that is equally silppery.

Quote Originally Posted by anadivine View Post
    he did mentioned wet tiles after the rain..

as a fireman, i personally was alerted that a woman fell after slipping off tiles similar to the pictures while in firepost. went to check it out. she suffered bruises on her chest and broke her leg i think. called the ambulance for her.

it wasnt even raining at that time.
    That is very bad.
    Stair case is also a very dangerous place for the elderly.
    I hope lift upgarding comes first before covered walk way and landscaping in those matured estates. But it is alway the opposite, must look nice nice first.

They got quite a few blocks to replace from what I see.
    They may even make the same mistake twice. They have just replaced the tiles in the water bay with one that is equally silppery.
    If its within the vincinity and same kind of tiles, it probably stems from a single decision. For economy of scale, its likely they would lay the old tiles at one shot.

I hope lift upgarding comes first before covered walk way and landscaping in those matured estates. But it is alway the opposite, must look nice nice first.
    Well, I guess they can't make everyone happy can they? Much like they can't produce a tile to fulfil everybody's requirement. Message #4 accused them of not being green enough, then here we have a complaint about landscaping..... and since when were covered walk ways designed to look nice in the first place??

about 2 years ago, there was GE, and hence the MPs running for GE would promise to upgrade once they are elected.

and they would do upgrading works all over until the next GE and then promise you another round of upgrade where they could get more money from you and spend. =)

They don't do anything, people complain. They do something, people also complain......

The HDB builts hundreds of flats, are you saying they still don't know what tiles to choose? Assuming that the HDB made a wrong choice. This could also be a mistake of the contractor by the way, perhaps they didn't use the tiles that were chosen in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    The HDB builts hundreds of flats, are you saying they still don't know what tiles to choose? Assuming that the HDB made a wrong choice. This could also be a mistake of the contractor by the way, perhaps they didn't use the tiles that were chosen in the first place.

Ok and the speculation continues.....

Making the wrong choice in material selection happens all the time. Its nothing new. Just because you did something before doesn't necessarily means you won't go wrong subsequently. In this instance, the tile selection decision probably came from the town council, not HDB and the choice of less textured tiles is understandable from their point of view. Its easier to maintain and clean. The safety issue could have been overlooked.

If the contractor did not use the tiles that was chosen, then they would have to replace the tiles at their own cost and probably compensate the town council in some ways.

Ok and the speculation continues.....

Making the wrong choice in material selection happens all the time. Its nothing new. Just because you did something before doesn't necessarily means you won't go wrong subsequently. In this instance, the tile selection decision probably came from the town council, not HDB and the choice of less textured tiles is understandable from their point of view. Its easier to maintain and clean. The safety issue could have been overlooked.

If the contractor did not use the tiles that was chosen, then they would have to replace the tiles at their own cost and probably compensate the town council in some ways.
    I think we all can accept wrong decisons like wrong shape, wrong size and wrong colour.
    But when it comes to matters of safety, I do not think we can allow such mistake.
    Tiles should be an integral part of a building, maybe a civil engineer can advise is there any safety standards or guild lines when selecting tiles for coment areas.

You seems to know about the Town Council operations. Is it that when budget is allocated it must be spent within a period of time, no matter there are needs or not?

I am asking, because I saw them replaced the water bay area with similar tiles, just differ in color.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 21st April 2008 at 12:03 AM.

I think we all can accept wrong decisons like wrong shape, wrong size and wrong colour.
    But when it comes to matters of safety, I do not think we can allow such mistake.
    Tiles should be an integral part of a building, maybe a civil engineer can advise is there any safety standards or guild lines when selecting tiles for coment areas.

You seems to know about the Town Council operations. Is it that when budget is allocated it must be spent and within a period of time, no matter there are needs or not?

I am asking, because I saw them replaced the water bay area with similar tiles, just differ in color.
    Like I said, its easy to point fingers on hindsight. Some mistakes can have serious consequences but that doesn't mean they won't happen. If that's the case, then you won't see drunk drivers on the road anymore would you?

Wrong shape, wrong size and wrong colour are not mistakes. They are subjective. Tile selection does not come under the purview of a civil engineer. There are guidelines for tiles selection but sometimes, its not followed simply because people who make the decisions are not aware that they exist.

Contrary to what you think, I don't know how the town council is managed so I can't comment on their expenditures. My comments were based on experiences gained as a building professional and of course, with a little common sense added.

As to why they have decided to replace tiles of similar nature, you might have to take it to the town council. For all you know, the old tiles actually worked. They just change it to match the new tiles at other areas.

I suggest you educate yourself better before dishing out irresponsible comments.
    could u kindly enlightening me a little more? how did it come across as irresponsible?

dun jus look 1 step ahead den end up where u cant turn back. heard of e domino effect? slippery tiles can cause injury. waste $$, waste resources which could b betta used elsewhere.

ur prev posts downplayed such mistakes as if a kid was e decision maker, its perfectly alright- e sun will still rise tomorrow wad. tell me u r kidding...

unrelated to the tiles but did anyone notice any significant change to the supposed upgraded adam road hawker centre? don't know how many million...but still looks the same to me.
    flickr me here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Sorry but have you ever worked with HDB? I have been privy to this and can assure you that mistakes happen all the time and corrections are always to be made. Both HDB and contractors make these mistakes.

i also feel that it is easy to point fingers on hindsight. but anyway, i also do hope decision making can improve over with time, and the same mistakes not be repeated due to lack of communication between different projects or different units.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12