38 20.00%
  • Wait for the perfect shot

29 15.26%
  • A mixture of both (please specify)

123 64.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you shoot?

Default How do you shoot?

I was wondering how most people shoot. Do you take a lot of pictures, and hope for at least a few to be good?
    Or do you hold the camera and look through the viewfinder for up to a few minutes, waiting for the perfect shot.

Ive been advised both to 'fill up the CF card' and 'try not to take too many photos' before. Im not sure whether the person who advised the latter was afraid that i might waste the camera's shutter count.

Default Re: How do you shoot?

The advice has nothing to do with shutter count.

for the same scene and settings, i would try my best to take a perfect shot, then take 1 or 2 more and compare which is better then delete accordingly.
    Then for the same scene, i would take another setting and the whole cycle repeats just for that 1 scene only.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

it really depends on the context

for example, if i'm in italy, and the light is sucky, the light is flat, but there is something interesting, i won't be back in a long long time
    you tell me , you shoot or you don't shoot?

as compared to being at punggol, it's a cloudy, horrid day with no colour in the sky. i can more than afford to wait for another time.

that said, there is no such thing as the perfect shot. like roger hicks once said, "if there really were only one decisive moment, one would only ever take a single photograph of any subject." food for thought, perhaps, for those who go around telling you not to waste your shutter ccount. have they ever thought, sometimes, the right light never comes, and your moment there, even without the light would be lost forever?

let's assume u have hours to take just 1 picture around a certain place (maybe the size of a small park)

would you rather take many (30) pictures, then see which 1 is the best?
    or look around for interesting things, the best angle, lighting etc and take only 3-4 pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    let's assume u have hours to take just 1 picture around a certain place (maybe the size of a small park)

or look around for interesting things, the best angle, lighting etc and take only 3-4 pictures?
    hahahahaha you think it is play hitman ar.. if snipe get more points

why not both? i.e. look around for interesting things, the best angle and lighting, and take 30 pictures, see which is the best?

even in the old days of film, obviously you want to take more.. film users felt nothing when just using up 3 exposure for bracketing

for one frame, i can take up to 8 photos of the same thing, just waiting for the right thing that i have envisioned. it is especially so for rocks/seascape photos when there is water movement

i ask you, which one is more important? getting the shot you want, regardless of how much shots you have taken to get it, OR getting a shot that is near the shot you want, but not quite, but you took 3 or 4 shots? which do you think people care about ? what do you think YOU care more about? of course this has to do with your philosophy in life. would you rather have given all you could, and not leave any room for regret (i.e. why didn't i take more shots?).. or give what you think you should be giving.. and not do everything you can?

when i first took up photography, i told myself that i should start concentrating on "nailing the shot", one shot one kill. in the end, i realised that what i wanted to nail had changed, and what i thought was near nailing had narrowed down even more. at the start i dumped 8 or 9 shots out of 10 to get 1. now i can dump 30-40 without any heartpain.. last time i might not have dumped..
    Last edited by night86mare; 20th April 2008 at 07:00 PM.

I came from the old school of film photography so I tend to frame the shots more carefully and not machine gun my shots. However, with digital photography, I am trying to find a balance point as I understand with the camera capability, sometimes you will need to take more than one shot to try to capture the best moment. Plus, you really are not 'wasting' films when you are using digital cameras (other than maybe shutter counts) so the concern is much less.

For important events, I will normally shoot slow continuous (3fps) in order to make sure you don't get the "close eyes" shots since you might not have another chance to re-shoot.

But for still objects, I still tend to frame the shots carefully and maybe do some bracketing to compare.

I normally carry enough CF cards so I will wait until I return home and download to PC before making any deletion.

Why ppl vote for option 3 the most is because the why u shoot really depends on the situation u r in.

If shooting landscapes, or model studio shoots, the object will be there waiting for you to shoot, so normally we will take time to compose, to adjust lighting, and so on, until we can capture the perfect shots.

For events like sports or fashion shows, there's no time for us to take time, so take the generic and most suitable settings, take as many as we could, hoping there will be some usable or even perfect shots. Like in a soccer match, u will never know when there will be a goal, maybe when u r dialing to change the shutter speed, the goal happended already...

Correct me if wrong!

While there is some logic in what you say, I think it sidesteps the point. Which is, do you think carefully before shooting, or do you hope to capture a good shot thru sheer luck and use your fast frame rate and high volume as a substitute for ability?

Those who say one should strive for one shot one kill are really saying that one should think real hard before shooting.

It does not mean there is only one decisive moment in an entire shoot, nor that you should only return home with one shot.

It does mean you should be disciplined, and learn the craft well.

In the film days, cost was a main reason. Nowadays, lack of time and avoiding sensory overload is the more important reason. Apart from honing your skill as a photographer, that is.

Photography is after all about capturing a moment in time and preserving it for posterity. So knowing which moment to press the shutter is a very important capability of a photographer.

Yes, even for sports. How do you think the great film photographers of the past mastered their art? Certainly not by shooting continuously and hoping for some lucky shots!

In fact, the key to being a successful photographer is anticipation. To place yourself in the right spot, ahead of time. That means the photographer should either be an experienced player/ex-player or an avid fan. Because that's how they get the good shots-- they think ahead, they know where the action will be, and they place themselves there in advance.

It's no different from wedding day photographers-- if they are not familiar with the ceremonies and they are not able to place themselves in the right position before each item in the ceremony occurs, they are dead. Do you think the couple and the relatives going to wait for you in the heat of the moment? So if you can't anticipate the action, know what lens will be useful at which point in the ceremony, what good will having a 10 fps camera do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    For events like sports or fashion shows, there's no time for us to take time, so take the generic and most suitable settings, take as many as we could, hoping there will be some usable or even perfect shots. Like in a soccer match, u will never know when there will be a goal, maybe when u r dialing to change the shutter speed, the goal happended already...

Correct me if wrong!
    Last edited by waileong; 22nd April 2008 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post

Hours? 30 photos? 3-4? Either someone is thinking slowly or their camera works slowly.

I've seen people who had no clue about a sport just hold the shutter release and get 30 meaningless shots in just a couple of minutes while I was waiting for the shot that counted and I still end up with 200 shots in such a situation.

Being in the situation you describe, I'm likely going to spend no more than an hour and take 20-25 careful shots until I'm bored with it.

For me, using burst mode or a motor drive on a film camera has an application: races or other fast-moving events that you'll never get again but even then, it should be used sparingly. If you want to get a continuous sequence, buy a video camera.

Take alot of the perfect picture

don't take alot at once-save memory space. wait for the perfect shots-sometimes it doesn't come
    IF

Depending on subject..... time.... & place.....

Scuba & Father... For Life

whack first, talk later

i think you can never be sure when the perfect shot will be, especially if you're shooting a moving object. wait for the right moment, then take a few. the good thing about technology is with digital photography, we can take tons of pictures without having to worry about additional costs. i guess those who shoot in film will be shooting more sparingly which, in my opinion, should be the way to shoot. guess it comes with experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by emirates View Post
    don't take alot at once-save memory space. wait for the perfect shots-sometimes it doesn't come
    mmm... but thats the thing abt DSLRs... their memory space (with a good card of course) is HUGE compared to film cameras. I'd rather shoot slightly more shots than i would with a film camera, since i'm not a pro and can't guarantee every shot i capture will be flawless

Of course, snapping like mad at 6-8fps will make post-procesing one hell of a job ><''

As far as possible, one shot, one kill. Maybe as insurance for critical scenes, I'd shoot a few more, but typically not more than 3 or 4 shots of the same thing. And to train myself further, I am trying to go back to film photography where every shot has to be considered, and considered quickly.

I don't believe in the GPMG (press and hold shutter button, max fps all the way) approach in most cases, unless I'm shooting blind and cannot guarantee a good shot, I try my luck.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Depending on what I shoot:
    Portraits - look for the right angle, the pose and the light, etc and take a few shots to get the best expressions, mood, feel from the model.

Sports, reportage - for example, in the recent Airshow08, I fired off almost 1000shots during the hour or so of the flying display. I dun machine gun, but, my finger could be clicking more than 1 shot a sec at times.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

moving targets - multifire
    landscape, portraits, powerful flash settings - one shot

One Shot,one Kill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast