Thread: Difference btwn CFI & CF II??

Question Difference btwn CFI & CF II??

Hi, what's the difference between the CF I and CF II cards?? anyone knows??

CF I - thinner, limited memory capacity (up to 256Mb or 512Mb).
    CF II - thicker andused for higher capacity memory (512Mb and above, IBM Micro-Drives, etc...).

This used to be the case with the older technology cards but with the current "progress" in memory capacities these statements may no longer hold true!

heh

i went to the twinmos head office at burlington square to get a 512mb CFI card..

did ya know they are selling 2GB CFI card at $1399...
    or was it $1349?

anyway...
    a 2GB type I card...
    woah...
    D700 / 14-24 f2.8 / 24-70 f2.8
    D80 / 17-50 f2.8 / 70-300 f3.5-5.6 / 80-200 f2.8

hi, thanks. But both CFI and CFII cards can be used in the digital camera right?? It doesn't necessary have to be used in the microdrives, etc??

Originally posted by aloe
    hi, thanks. But both CFI and CFII cards can be used in the digital camera right?? It doesn't necessary have to be used in the microdrives, etc??
    microdrives itself is a Type II card. Digital Cameras uses a lot media. The diff nowsadays are the form factor. They both have the same LxW. the only diff is the H. Type II is abt 20mm taller.

Always make sure that the right ones are used. Refer to user manual for the correct type of storage media.

Twinmos 2GB so ex? A Lexar 2GB 40x Pro CF card cost only US$600 (nia :P), together with the recovery software.

Originally posted by matoriv
    heh

i went to the twinmos head office at burlington square to get a 512mb CFI card..

did ya know they are selling 2GB CFI card at $1399...
    or was it $1349?

anyway...
    a 2GB type I card...
    woah...

Originally posted by Bluestrike
    microdrives itself is a Type II card. Digital Cameras uses a lot media. The diff nowsadays are the form factor. They both have the same LxW. the only diff is the H. Type II is abt 20mm taller.

Always make sure that the right ones are used. Refer to user manual for the correct type of storage media.
    20 mm? 20 mm is 2 cm you know.

Getting more blurred by the minute....
    Think u meant 2mm?? but they can fit in the same slot for the digital cams? cham... think I better study more...

Originally posted by ahbeng
    20 mm? 20 mm is 2 cm you know.
    hehehhahaaa..
    yeah !

Typo....

The length and the width of both TypeI and II are the same. It the Height that is diff.. TypeII is taller/thicker by abt 2cm.

Originally posted by aloe
    Getting more blurred by the minute....
    Think u meant 2mm?? but they can fit in the same slot for the digital cams? cham... think I better study more...
    actually don't have to bother much about CF type I or CF type II, you're ariming for S45, and S45/50 supports both format.

And most CF in the market now is CF type I.

S45 Specs

hehehhahaaa..
    yeah !

Typo....

The length and the width of both TypeI and II are the same. It the Height that is diff.. TypeII is taller/thicker by abt 2cm.
    typo again, its 2 mm.

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
    CF II - thicker andused for higher capacity memory (512Mb and above, IBM Micro-Drives, etc...).

This used to be the case with the older technology cards but with the current "progress" in memory capacities these statements may no longer hold true!
    Type I - up to 1GB
    Type II - up to 1GB

There are actually 2/4GB CF cards out already, but I believe the pricing will hold many back. So not many shops will have them.

technology has become so advance. The CF cad now comes in capacity that is more than a hard disk many years back.

Originally posted by caseytan
    actually don't have to bother much about CF type I or CF type II, you're ariming for S45, and S45/50 supports both format.

And most CF in the market now is CF type I.

S45 Specs
    Not quite.. type I has no moving parts.. type II are typically mini hard disks with moving parts and suffers the same pitfalls like non shockproof.

I can confidently throw my CFI around but not the CFII

someone has recently out up a type II 2.4GB for sale. pricewise it's less than $500!
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by willyfoo
    Not quite.. type I has no moving parts.. type II are typically mini hard disks with moving parts and suffers the same pitfalls like non shockproof.

I can confidently throw my CFI around but not the CFII
    are you saying cf2 must always be a mini hard disk?

Originally posted by ahbeng
    are you saying cf2 must always be a mini hard disk?
    no. the easily available ones (at least in Singapore) are usually/typically mini harddisks.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

hmm... juz to confirm, normally when we buy cf card for our digicam is type one ar?? as in if i go AP and tell the uncle" uncle ar, gimme one 128 cf card!"
    the one that he gimme without questioning is normally a type one???
    if so... sob sob....

Default Re: Difference btwn CFI & CF II??

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy

CF I goes up to 2GB and supports only FAT16.

CF II card are above 2GB and supports FAT32.

Cards above 2GB need to be formated in FAT32 due to FAT16 2GB limitation. So if you intend to use cards above 2GB you need a FAT32 compliant camera.
    Last edited by smtan24; 30th March 2006 at 02:28 PM.