Thread: Does anyone know why sky images appear pixelated?

psyche
    Guests

Default Does anyone know why sky images appear pixelated?

I've noticed that if I take digital images involving a plain or single colour eg, blue sky, a white table top, etc it looks pixelated. How should I describe it... For eg, in an image with a blue sky I get these concentric lines appearing across the sky with slightly different gradients of blue.

Hope I make sense above. I don't think it's bcos of the resolution (It's quite high anyway) bcos the other subjects within the same image appear acceptable.

Is it bcos of the screen resolution? Even if so, how come it only affects uniform colours but not others?

Try increasing your screen display to 32 bit colour instead of 16 bit colour and see if it gets better.

or it could be the display card problem. lower end display cards might not be able to display colors properly.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Deregistered

show us an example, we'll see if the problem is located in your hardware or ours

sounds more like a monitor problem than anything else.

Sounds like lack of colour graduation. I'd check that the desktop colour depth is set to 24/32bit.

psyche
    Guests

Originally posted by sfhuang
    sounds more like a monitor problem than anything else.
    Huh, no lar...I don' think so. It happens to the monitors I see at work as well. I suspct it's more of what Streetshooter and Zerstorer said. Thanks guys, will try this out...

Default Re: Does anyone know why sky images appear pixelated?

Originally posted by psyche
    How should I describe it... For eg, in an image with a blue sky I get these concentric lines appearing across the sky with slightly different gradients of blue.
    Sound like "banding" issue

ya increase the display color (to 32 bits) should solve the problem
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by psyche
    Huh, no lar...I don' think so. It happens to the monitors I see at work as well. I suspct it's more of what Streetshooter and Zerstorer said. Thanks guys, will try this out...
    Are you using LCD monitors both at work and home? Some LCDs do exhibit more grain and banding due to their reduced gamut. I have seen this on some economy model LCDs.

Erm?

You JPG compression is too high.

Which camera are you using, what resolution are you shooting at, and what level of compression are you using?

i think Jed's identified the problem. If possible try changing e jpg resn and see if the problem improves or goes away. Otherwise, you have to post an *original* (not downsized) picture for everyone to assess.