Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepal trip: Anyone interested?

Default checking with sis

will tell you as soon as i can confirm. will be meeting michael for further details.

thats great...

its always good to meet new people before/during/after the trip... (all the time should be a more appropriate word)

oh yeah... talking about buying stuff... there is still a 2 months to go .... maybe we should organise a pre-nepal shopping trip too ...

Cheers

I will meet joanne tonight , pass on the info to her, and brief her again on our itinerary. She can make up her mind with her sister then.

Will inform kingpin for ticketing issues, if she decides to join us

Alex, i think we need to build up our musle as priority over the shopping items. Btw, I only need a trekking boots. I think it should be cheaper to buy from Thamel. We would have half a day for shopping when arriving Kathmandu Day1.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 7th July 2003 at 02:39 PM.

Well, this is quite a bonus. Hey guys, now we have two models... Or else we pose for them also no problem.

ah ... yes fitness...

been jogging for the past mth now... but.. errm.. recently got an infected toe... nothing .. the doctor cannot rectify....

oh on the subject of modelling ... we gotta get some exotic wear for tomshen to pose in the mountains .. too .. hehee

just kidding... :P

ah .. .how about a yeti costume....

cheers

alex, since u carry G2, and i carry s602. I dun think we need to worry about the weight of our backpack during trekking.

david, equipped with a medium format ....!!!???

i reckon u start practicing now with all your equipment (including tripod) and complete a full circuit of MacRitchie Resevoir (nature trek)

I think David's med format will be lighter than my 35 mm stuff.
    Yes good to start training.
    Michael / or anyone who's been to Nepal - any idea about prices of hiking equipment in Thamel?

Default Oooh this is so exciting

Yeah...i want to photograph tom shen in his birthday suit. Looks like joanne and sister are in for a treat....haha.

Yes, the more i think about it...the more my trusty fuji will see the nepal sun. Thinking now if i want to bring my 42 yr old rollei tlr.

Kingpin, you are right....both my medium cams will weigh less than your 35mm. I dunno what monster lens you have...

yeah...we need to sit down to finalize our equipment. Just in case you guys are keen, there is also travel insurance that covers your equipment and failure of travel agent. For our trip, 10 days would cost about $60 per trip. I am trying to negotiate with principal if it can go lower. Will show you guys the comprehensive coverage when we meet up next.

So much for now...pls lets meet again to discuss equipment at the final end of this month....

looking forward to seeing you guys again. Welcome Joanne and sister if they are coming along..

david

wah ... seems like you guys bringing alot of stuff....

gotta get an all terrain push cart too ... hahaa

anyway... if you guys/gals ... want to organize any meeting at the end of the month ... i won't be around ... from 19 July till 2 Aug ...

just keep me in the loop will do ...

Dlock: ... cold weather will not flatter mr tom shen's birthday suit ... medium format or otherwise...

have a good week everyone

cheers

Default You cheeky sputnik

Right you are....i almost forgot....things shrivel when cold...

oh dear...tomshen..you will prob. bash us when u see us next...butting you like dat. Look it this way, we all nominate you to be GQ model ...that means something doesn't it????

Sputnik...you are so notti!!

Haha....... erh GQ model???

David - yes they will be lighter, I'm thinking of not bringing long lens just the med range and short range zooms with another camera.
    Michael - confirm porters or transport???
    Tomshen - looks like u are already in demand as a model.

huh?!?! wait I spoil all your film...

Originally posted by kingpin
    Michael - confirm porters or transport???
    This is very important. I just went hiking with the gears I wanted to bring over to Nepal. The bag was so heavy and badly squeezed that there is only space left for a sweater and two small bottles of drink. If we are on the six hour hike, I believe we'll need either the porter or transport to get the rest of our stuff over the next town first

I am still wondering if I should bring the Manfrotto 190 or just the lighter Slik Sprint Pro along.

Hi All,

I know u are all waiting for me desperately to confirm on the luggage transportation while we go on trekking.

No worries, I have been trying my best to gather all the info and making necessary arrangement with the agent. Currently, 1.50pm, I am still in the final negotiation process with the agent on the pricing.

I will very soon (hopefully latest by late noon today) come back to u on all the outststanding issues. Have faith with me. Won't let u down.

What we need most at this time is the confirmed status for the departing flight.

PS: had meet up with Joanne last night and brief her through the session together with the notes, she will have to discuss with her sister. Kingpin, she may contact u for the ticket booking if she decides to join us.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 8th July 2003 at 02:15 PM.

As promised, I never let u down.

Here come the answer for almost all of the outstandings issue.

1) Instead of spending 3 nights in Hotel Vaishali (4 star) in Kathmandu, we will lower our accomodation preference to Hotel Center Point (3 star). And the total cost for the tour is USD280 (including the water rafting)

2) We will be staying overnight at Hotel Plaza Annapurna in Lake Side, Pokhara.

3) If we are rafting with 6 people, we will be sharing 1 boat with the guide. For safety reason, it is always better to split the group into 2. Ideally, Joanne and her sister can join us and we will have 8 people. If not, we will invite strangers to make each boat to have 4-5 persons and the guide. Rafting in 2 boats together can help each other a lot in case there is an emergency.

4) We only need to carry our important stuff, ie. cash, passport etc. and the camera equipment during trekking. We can leave behind our heavy luggage, ie. cloth with the agent. They will arrange the transport to pick up our heavy luggage from Dhulikhel (Dhulikhel Lodge Resort) to Nagarkot (Hotel View Point) with no additional charges. Is everyone happy to hear that ?

5) I have written an email each to Tourism Board of Nepal and Nepal Tourist Center to ensure the business integrity of the Nepalese Agent that we are dealing with. Kai Su being cheated by Nepalese and Kia Si being killed by all of you. Waiting for their reply.

6) The tour guide will fetch us from the airport when arriving. He will accompany with us during the entire stay in Nepal.

7) There will be a guide for the horse riding as to lead u and control the horse (USD4 per hour). Of course, u can choose not to have one and enjoy the free ride yourself. Our tour guide will also be with us during the horse riding trip, as to ensure that we can manage to find our way back.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 8th July 2003 at 03:37 PM.

Final Itinerary

Day 01 (D)
    Arrival at Trivuban International Airport at 12.40pm & transfer to hotel. After check-in, visit Boudha Stupa at Tibet Town, Charumati Shrine at Chabahil and Pasupati-Nath Temple at Devpattan by the pure Bagmati River. Evening: Cultural program and welcomed dinner.
    Hotel : Hotel Center Point

Day 02 (B/L)
    Drive from Kathmandu to Raft starting point, Charaudi, 82 km. After briefing by your raft guide, the raft trip commences around 11 a.m. After a short while we hit class 3 rapid called "Twin Rock" and other rapids and then stop for lunch. After lunch, we resume our river trip and hit rapids called "Upset" and "Surprise" which are of Class 3 & 4. At around 3 to 3.30 p.m. we conclude our day trip and hot drink will be served at the ending point and drive to Pokhara and stay overnight.
    Hotel : Plaza Annapurna

Day 03 (B)
    Morning drive to Sarangkot hill (about 30 minutes) to view sunrise over the Himalayan range. Sightseeing tour to old Pokhara city and Davi's falls . Evening boating on Phewa Lake Overnight at hotel in Pokhara.
    Hotel : Plaza Annapurna

Day 04 (B/L/D)
    Drive to Chitwan National Park (136 km.) for about 3 and half hours, south East of Pokhara. Upon arrival briefing on
    Jungle activities. After lunch, starts jungle activities as per resorts program. Dinner and overnight at jungle resort.
    Hotel : Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency

Day 05 (B/L/D)
    Observing the wild lives at Royal Chitwan National Park with activities ie, elephant back safari, jungle walk, canoeing, bird watching, village visit, cultural program.
    Hotel : Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency

Day 06 (B)
    Morning: Wildlife seeing, boating in the river for the reptiles, wood walk, etc. Lunch break. Drive 4-5 hour back to Dhulikhel
    Hotel : Dhulikhel Lodge Resort

Day 07 (B)
    One way trekking for 6 hours from Dhulikhel to Nagarkot. Late noon, walk around the village surroundings to see the Nepalese daily activities. At night, horse riding to explore the village surroundings.
    Hotel : Hotel View Point

Day 08 (B)
    Early wake up for the sunrise view (photo shooting), walk down to Changu Narayan Temple, it is one of the oldest temple from 6th centuries. It takes about 3 hours drive journey to visit Bhaktapur - one of the Queen Cities & drive 1hour back to Kathmandu and over night.

Day 09 (B/D)
    Full day sightseeing of 2 queen cities of the Great Valley including Kantipur, Lalitpur.
    After lunch, proceed to Kirtipur---the City of Glory atop a hill famous for Buddhist monasteries, Hindu temples and cottage industries, Trivuban University---the first university of the kingdom, Chovar Gorge, etc. Night : Farewell dinner.

Day 10 (B)
    Final check out & last minute shopping. Transfer to Trivuban Airport for the international departure. Flight at 1.35pm.

Price:
    6 - 8 Pax Basis US$ 280.00 Per Person.
    PRICE INCLUDES : :
    - Transfers airport - Hotel - Airport
    - Transport by private car during sight seeing.
    - Accommodation in Kathmandu in Hotel Center Point.
    - Accommodation in Pokhara in Hotel Plaza Annapurna
    - Accommodation in Chitwan in Baghmara Wildlife Resort or Rhino Regency.
    - Accommodation in Dhulikhel in Dhulikhel Lodge Resort.
    - Accommodation in Nagarkot at Hotel View Point.
    - Full board basis in Chitwan with activities (elephant Back safari, jungle walk, canoeing, bird watching, village visit, cultural program)
    - Full board basis during rafting.
    - Guide for whole trip
    - Entrance fees

PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE : :
    - Bar bills (any alcohol drinks, mineral water, cold drinks, cigarettes, etc)
    - Lunch and dinner at Kathmandu, Pokhra, Dhulikhel, Nagarkot.
    - Personal clothing
    - Personal insurance
    - Any unseen expenses, etc

Note: Luggage transfer from Dhulikhel (Dhulikhel Lodge Resort) to Nagarkot (Hotel View Point), welcome & farewell dinner, cultural program are all inclusive.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 10th July 2003 at 02:00 PM.

Originally posted by wong_se
    4) We only need to carry our important stuff, ie. cash, passport etc. and the camera equipment during trekking. We can leave behind our heavy luggage, ie. cloth with the agent. They will arrange the transport to pick up our heavy luggage from Dhulikhel (Dhulikhel Lodge Resort) to Nagarkot (Hotel View Point) with no additional charges. Is everyone happy to hear that ?
    Now got hope bringing my 190 for the trip
    Who else bringing tripod?

I am going to bring my Silk Sprint Pro tripod for the trip ...

so if anyone wants to use a tripod ... no worries...
    i doubt i'll be using it all the time...

very tempted to bring/buy a flim SLR too ...

hhehehe

oh yah .. jason .. if u need a 75-300mm (non IS) lens .. i have one lying around ... next to brand new...

Cheers

No I don't need a 75-300, I want to have a new film body without lens

what i meant was if u need a 75-300 during the trip .. or anyone else for the matter ... i'll bring it along lah ...

so what new "body" are u planning to get?

eos3 ?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast