Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepal trip: Anyone interested?

Wah so nice one the accomodation. I stayed at Kathmandu Guest House when i was there...

Hi Klipsch, willing to share your experience in Nepal ??

ie,

die die must go kinda places ?
    die die must not go kinda places ?
    die die must eat kinda food ?
    die die must not eat kinda food ?
    die die must try kinda activities ?
    die die must not try kinda activities ?

The dates are fine with me. But I need to find out more, esp on the cost side of things (eg what are the extra costs I must get ready for besides the USD280?), before I can commit. Also need to sit down with you guys to discuss and know more about the travel plans, so that I can answer to my wife's questions.

cheers,
    sfhuang

Basic cost will be USD280 for Nepalese Agent.

Visa = USD30
    Makan = read from the itinerary, despite of Day 1 welcome dinner and full board services in Chitwan National Park, the 3meal per day is not included. The cost will be pending whether u want buffet in hotel or bread with Nepalese vegatable soup.
    Air ticket = SGD680, airport tax + flight insurance may be additional SGD50-SGD80.

Stop by Bangkok ?? aha , your wife may want to know about the detail of your THB spending there.

that will probably mean 2k will cover most of the expenses over in Nepal... plus the makan n all

Do we have 15 ppl to make the trip yet? ...

it'll be good if we can meet up and see the bunch who is going ...
    to get a feel of each others' presence .. and of course .. some pre-trip briefing ...

cheers

Originally posted by Sputnik

Do we have 15 ppl to make the trip yet? ...

Think 15 is too big a group.
    Wong Se - wat's min no to go? Also better state cost of meals, suggest use the more expensive option for budget purpose. Buffet in hotel ex?
    Do include a sum for tips. Nepal is a tipping country.

There is no minimum to go. If I can't get anyone to accompany, I will go there alone. Going in odd number will have to pay extra USD60-80 . (Room is double sharing)

Estimated cost, I will budget SGD1500 & SGD500 for buffer. Dun think I will need to use up all. SDG500 buffer is meant for unexpected/extra spending, ie. unanticiapted shopping, hiring a Nepalese to carry your backpack and camera equipment during trekking.

Pls read again on my earlier message on how many meals are actually included in the USD280 for the nepalese agent.

Also better state cost of meals
    Kingpin, Your question is too broad for me to answer. May be I could just give u some indication.

At 4 & 5 star hotel
    Indian Breakfast Us $6
    Continental Breakfast Us $6
    American Breakfast Us $7
    Lunch Us $10
    Dinner Us $12
    BBQ Us $14

Pls note that this price range is indeed near the very top end. May be u would like to read what is on Lonely Planet ....
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...epal/money.htm

In fact, we are staying at 4 star hotel. To have the top end range of meal selection, it makes us almost a 5 star luxury Nepal trip. I am not sure whether this is what u want.

Tipping ?? If I buy a bread and a bowl of local breed vegatable soup for USD0.50, I would not bother too much on tipping.

It depends where do u eat ? If we have dinner at hotel, the bills are subjected to 10% Vat & 2% Tsf.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 23rd June 2003 at 11:00 PM.

Great job so far, Wong Se.

Thanks wong_se. Can we meet up to discuss, prob at the next SEED (next Wed)? Any idea how long is the flight to Nepal from Singapore.

cheers,
    sfhuang

Any idea how long is the flight to Nepal from Singapore
    So Pei Seh to miss out the flight detail.

We will be taking Thai AirWay flight. Schedule as follows,

11-Oct-2003
    Singapore 08:20 -- Bangkok 09:40 (Non-stop, Boeing777)
    Bangkok 10:30 -- Kathmandu 12:35 (Non-stop, AirBus)

19-Oct-2003
    Kathmandu 13:40 -- Bangkok 18:10 (Non-stop, Boeing777)
    Bangkok 19:15 -- Singapore 22:35 (Non-stop, AirBus)

Time difference bewteen Singapore and Nepal is 2.15hours, ie Singapore time is 2.15pm, Nepal local time will be 12.00pm. Singapore is also leading Thailand by 1hour (FYI if u wish to stop by Bangkok)
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 24th June 2003 at 02:09 PM.

well if no one else is going .. i will still be going with you lah .. mr wong ...

the fun part about travelling is to able to experience the unexpected... if we know every little detail ... will sort of dilute the experience...

of course the necessary details are needed.... but the nitty gritty stuff like makan ... n all .. i don't think we'll eat till we don't have enough money to get home ...

btw... i read a travel book ... they didn't really say if we should use the nepalese currency Rp ... or the USD ...

cheers... be happy don't worry

btw... i read a travel book ... they didn't really say if we should use the nepalese currency Rp ... or the USD ...
    They always prefer to be settled in USD.
    If u walk in a hotel for a night stay, settling the bill in USD will have better rate. But I am doubt what conversion they would apply.

For the Nepalese agent fee, we would have to settle 25% of the USD280 3 weeks in advance for reservation. And pay the remaining 75% of USD280 on arrival. The bill is settled in USD.

For personal usage in Nepal, I will convert my SGD to USD in Singapore. When arriving, go to black market to buy Nepalese Rupee (USD1 = RP57.03, SGD1= 32.77).

Dun ever think of exchanging your SGD to Rupee via Nepal bank/ money changer in Kathmandu airport. The rate is too low to tolerate.

Default Nepal Trip - A full detail Final Itinerary

Final Itinerary

Day 01 (D)
    Arrival at Trivuban International Airport & transfer to hotel. After check-in, wandering around Kathmandu city and shopping. Evening: Cultural program and welcomed dinner.
    Hotel : Hotel Vaishali

Day 02 (B)
    Full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley--- tours of the 3 queen cities of the Great Valley including Kantipur, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur. Drive 1 hour to Nagarkot and over night.
    Hotel : Hotel View Point

Day 03 (B)
    Early wake up for the sunrise view (photo shooting) and walk around the village surroundings to see the Nepalese daily activities. After lunch, hike to Changu Narayan Temple, it is one of the oldest temple from 6th centuries, and retun by car. At night, horse riding to explore the village surroundings.
    Hotel : Hotel Hotel View Point

Day 04 (B)
    One way trekking for 6 hours from Nagarkot to Dhulikhel, one of Newari old town .
    Hotel : Dhulikhel Lodge Resort

Day 05 (B/L/D)
    Drive 3 hour from Dhulikhel to Trisuli River for 3 hour white water rafting. After lunch, drive from rafting ending point to Chitwan National Park
    Hotel : Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency (Pls note that both hotels are just located next to the ridverside, of which the river is designed as the park boundary. Though it only takes about 5 - 10min walk to the park, it is a safe zone)

Day 06 (B/L/D)
    Observing the wild lives at Royal Chitwan National Park with activities ie, elephant back safari, jungle walk, canoeing, bird watching, village visit, cultural program.
    Hotel : Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency

Day 07 (B)
    Morning: Wildlife seeing, boating in the river for the reptiles, wood walk, etc. Lunch break.
    Drive 4-5 hour back to Kathmandu City

Day 08 (B/D)
    Full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley. And a farewell dinner.

Day 09 (B)
    Final check out & last minute shopping. Transfer to Trivuban Airport for the international departure.

B= Hotel breakfast, L=lunch, D=Dinner
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 25th June 2003 at 01:58 PM.

Default Nepal Trip - A full detail Final Itinerary (continued)

Final Itinerary

For hotel info, pls click on the address

Kathmandu - Hotel Vaishali
    http://www.vaishalihotel.com/

Nagarkot - Hotel View Point
    http://www.acharyahotels.com/nagarkot.htm

Dhulikhel - Dhulikhel Lodge Resort
    http://www.dhulikhellodgeresort.com/

Chitwan - Baghmara Wildlife Camp or Rhino Regency
    http://www.baghmara.com.np/facilities.html
    http://www.acharyahotels.com/chitwan-rhino-lodge.htm

For more info on River Trisuli Rafting, pls click on the address
    http://www.raftnepal.com/trishuli_fact_sheet.htm

For more info on Chitwan national Park, pls click on the address
    http://www.nepalinformation.com/machan/macroyal.htm

Estimated Budget per person
    1) Tour - USD280
    2) Horse Riding - USD4 per hour
    3) Water Rafting - USD15
    4) Visa - USD 30
    5) 10meals (that are not included in the tour package)
    - Budget: US$2-3
    - Mid-range: US$3-10
    - Top-end: US$10 & above
    6) Air ticket - Thai Airway. Just find out yesterday Oct is high season, the price will go up. Estimated by SGD850 (inclusive airport tax & flight insurance)

PS :
    1) All entrance fees, transfort & activity fees in Chitwan National Park are included.

2) The guide will always be with us during the entire trip.

3) There is electricity supply during the entire stay of all the hotels. However, power cut sometimes, might be happened. At most the cut will not be more than 2 - 3 hours.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 25th June 2003 at 10:43 AM.

Default Nepal Trip - A full detail Final Itinerary (continued)

Final Itinerary

Important Notes :

1)25% of USD280 is to be money transfered to the Nepalese agent 3 week in advance. 75% paid on arrival.

2) Flight Itinerary
    11-Oct-2003
    Singapore 08:20 -- Bangkok 09:40 (Non-stop, Boeing777)
    Bangkok 10:30 -- Kathmandu 12:35 (Non-stop, AirBus)

19-Oct-2003
    Kathmandu 13:40 -- Bangkok 18:10 (Non-stop, Boeing777)
    Bangkok 19:15 -- Singapore 22:35 (Non-stop, AirBus)

3) USD1 = RP57.03, SGD1= 32.77

4) Time difference bewteen Singapore and Nepal is 2.15hours, ie Singapore time is 2.15pm, Nepal local time will be 12.00pm. Singapore is also leading Thailand by 1hour (FYI if u wish to stop by Bangkok)
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 25th June 2003 at 02:02 PM.

Confirm I am in. The schedule looks just nice for me.

Pls raise your question had I missed out anything during the meet up.

Default When is the deadline?

Wong..

I am still finalising my plans for Sep and Oct..
    Things could change totally and I am not sure if I can go of cause my heart wants to go with fellow photographers who are in it for the passion of travelling and photography.

So when is the preferred deadline for booking?
    Even if a person last minute book a ticket as long as it is available, it should be fine right? Pls advse a preferred deadline.. and contingency plans for latecomers who can join after the deadline.

Rgds
    cheers

For late comer, final deadline is 3 weeks before arrival as to transfer the money to Nepalese agent for reservation and to make necessary arrangment.

As long as u can book the flight, u have no problem to come along with us.

But pls bear in mind, going in odd numbers, ie 1, 3, 5 perosn will have to pay additional USD60-USD80 as single supplement. But then, u will have the hotel room all by your yourself.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 25th June 2003 at 11:30 AM.

Wong se - when do u intend to finalise this? Can I ask that u consider leaving on Sun 12/10? I'll probably be in BKK earlier and want to capture the weekend market which begins on Sat. Let me know which agent u arranging air tickets so that I can coord.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast