View Poll Results: Bundle with AppleCare Protection Plan ?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy

27 79.41%
  • Dont buy

7 20.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy AppleCare Protection Plan ?

Default Do you buy AppleCare Protection Plan ?

to Mac owner, Macbook, to be specific....

normally do you buy the extended 2 more years warranty?

buying a Macbook, but need to decide on this warranty plan first before paying...

thank you.

Default Re: Do you buy AppleCare Protection Plan ?

I wouldn't go without it, especially when an LCD is involved. Thankfully, I had it when I was having trouble with the fans on this PowerBook. I had zero problems getting help and having the repairs done.

i would. it can be a very expensive affair if your macbook breaks down after the 1st year. i rather buy applecare for some peace of mind for 3 years. btw you can get applecare for macbook for as low as $340.

Its a must. Unless you plan to buy a new one after the first year.

wow, from the poll so far it's a no brainer to buy...

madmacs,
    may I know where can I buy it at $340 (w/GST?) ?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    i would. it can be a very expensive affair if your macbook breaks down after the 1st year. i rather buy applecare for some peace of mind for 3 years. btw you can get applecare for macbook for as low as $340.

Quote Originally Posted by i120D View Post
    wow, from the poll so far it's a no brainer to buy...

madmacs,
    may I know where can I buy it at $340 (w/GST?) ?
    pm'd you.

must buy must buy.

lesson learned from not buying when I had my Titanium back than. Logicboard problem can cause you nearly a thousands. Back then to buy a new powerbook can cost you nearly 3k or more. So had to changed the logicboard due to work commitment. Hard pain. now titanium still running smoothly but too slow for my needs so get Powerbook 15" to replace with Applecare.

And it happen again to my Alu 15" Powerbook when it reaches near to the 3rd yr. Just change the logicboard twice. Now with new logicboard and superdrive all cover under Applecare with add 90days warranty.

Btw with Applecare your value is higher if you decide to sell and upgrade. Macbook applecare is not as expensive as Macbook Pro. So buy lah...

Quote Originally Posted by zan82 View Post
    Its a must. Unless you plan to buy a new one after the first year.
    almost certain cannot survive after first year? is macbook quality so bad?

you never knows what is going to happen ..

i changed my HDD during the 1st month, since then has been working fine till now applecare expired > 3 years 4 months liao ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

The problem with my fans occurred almost 2 months before the end of AppleCare.

All the machines are susceptible to some problem. That's why I buy refurbished machines. The factory workers who were assembling the original MacBook and MacBook Pro models apparently werenn't trained correctly and there were breakdowns with quality assurance, so that many problematic machines got out.

You hope that you don't have to use AppleCare but sometimes, you need it.

Default Re: Do you buy AppleCare Protection Plan ?!

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    The problem with my fans occurred almost 2 months before the end of AppleCare.

All the machines are susceptible to some problem. That's why I buy refurbished machines. The factory workers who were assembling the original MacBook and MacBook Pro models apparently werenn't trained correctly and there were breakdowns with quality assurance, so that many problematic machines got out.

You hope that you don't have to use AppleCare but sometimes, you need it.
    I dont think its fair to blame apple factory for a bad assembly line with incompetent crew.

From my knowledge, most failures are due to parts reliability and user themselves. And, most parts inside a mac system are similar to that of a PC. Also, most parts come from china these days. So during a bulk purchase in a certain batch, a critical component may have faults and hence it can affect most users of a certain batch of brand new mac.

As for applecare, it is good to have if one can afford it. But do note it does not cover theft, fire and accidents. I had a brand new mbp and because of an accident is spoilt. the repair would have cost me $2.5k. I said i pass on that bill. Fortunately i had not bought the apple care yet or it would have gone down the drain.

quality is good. but dont forget it still comprises of electronic parts. such parts can fail any time even in a high quality product. the thing is repairs can get very expensive and if you dont have APP, you could be better off buying a new set.

If buy, chances are the mac will be fine for 3 years.
    If don't buy, wait after 12 months kenna then you know.

Better to have it but not needing it, than to not have it when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    I dont think its fair to blame apple factory for a bad assembly line with incompetent crew.

From my knowledge, most failures are due to parts reliability and user themselves. And, most parts inside a mac system are similar to that of a PC. Also, most parts come from china these days. So during a bulk purchase in a certain batch, a critical component may have faults and hence it can affect most users of a certain batch of brand new mac.
    I understand what you're saying but it wasn't a problem with parts so it is fair to blame them. They mis-applied the thermal grease onto the CPUs in many machines and it's been well-documented. Besides, it's not an Apple factory since they don't seem to run their own any more. It was a Hon Hai Precision factory, if I remember correctly.

It ends up Apple's fault in that they didn't check the machines more closely and it hasn't happened since then. I'm hoping that the new machines due any month now will work well.

I bought it and I'm glad I did. The harddisk on my macbook broke down after 3-4 months of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I understand what you're saying but it wasn't a problem with parts so it is fair to blame them. They mis-applied the thermal grease onto the CPUs in many machines and it's been well-documented. Besides, it's not an Apple factory since they don't seem to run their own any more. It was a Hon Hai Precision factory, if I remember correctly.

It ends up Apple's fault in that they didn't check the machines more closely and it hasn't happened since then. I'm hoping that the new machines due any month now will work well.
    Guess its all about batch faults. Hence good manufacturers do recall their units for free repair. So far most of my comp lasted me 4 to 7yrs. No DOA and i had been lucky. The only unlucky incident was on an MBP when it was almost brand new. Still, I twist it back in shape and use it thru external monitor connection.

Nothing is that bad. Nothing except some unknown brands or Packard Bell of the past i reckon.

Hardware failure is all about luck regardless of brand.

certain that the quality is rather bad. I'll think its better to buy the insurance as the breakdown will cost more.

Since my first Mac I have never bought this!

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Hardware failure is all about luck regardless of brand.
    I think I am very lucky then! Never have any hardware failure since my first Mac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast