Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I forget: What is the meaning of MINT again?

Default Re: I forget: What is the meaning of MINT again?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    In this digital time, why can't we simply classify all little used (as in the shutter count, say below 50?) cam as simply "mint" condition?
    Because little or much use, it is still used, no matter how nice the outer appearance is.

Make sense? It's like how you drive a car so carefully so your car's outer appearance and even inner finish is still like new, but you already have clocked a certain amount of mileage that translates to a certain amount of engine wear.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Because little or much use, it is still used, no matter how nice the outer appearance is.
    that's why i said ppl who are still having problem not been able to accept such little difference has some mental block problem.
    In the real life examples, book buyers open up wrapping and read a chapter and then ask the salesgirl to get an "unwrapped" book ...
    ppl tried on a wrapped up shirt and then proceed to get a "new" "wrapped up" shirt when making payment .....
    someone told me that he bought a Lowepro bag wrapped and after unwrapping, he tried to sell at $20 lesser as a new bag coz he find it too small for his lens. The buyer came, like everything but didnt buy coz he minded that the bag was not in the original "plastic" bag!

what i am feeling is that ..... this is all in the mind
    like, if one loves a girl so much and after marriage, he found out that she got a ex-bf, and though she was technically a virgin wife you married, and yet, he suffers for years of mental torture because he felt that his wife was not in a MINT condition!
    Life is very short, dont be too petty .... buy the cam and enjoy and worry less about such classification.
    always the Light, .... always.

shutter count a bit is ok what, i ask you, if seller give you camera, outside swee swee, shutter count 0, but he's dropped it on the floor twice, just that you cannot tell that something is wrong.. he also give you inside box, then how?

whatever it is, buying second-hand always has risks like this; if you choose to accept the risk, then go for it, if you cannot accept the risk then don't buy in the first place, end up make seller and buyer have very bad experience especially if one side is picky. if you want to quibble about this, then you can always quibble about what i've mentioned. i rememberl ast time got a few cases people complain about "brand new sets" from shops having pictures inside the camera, hahaha. even first-hand already got such problem ,let alone second hand?

that said, mint condition just means "like brand new". there is probably a distinction between mint and condition 10 in b&s, but once again, you cannot really expect the mods to enforce these to a t. i do miss the itrader rating though, which is probably why i've stopped buying anything from people i do not know, which means i never patronise b&s already unless i have something to sell. we should bring it back, it is a much better system than feeling naked and blind everytime you try to buy something in that section.
    Last edited by night86mare; 18th April 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Ppl who still classify and place difference monetary value on the condition of a new cam into what Mint, New, 10, etc... is either having mental block problem or still living in the Ice-age
    Many many years ago, ppl classify a virgin as someone who has never seen or dream of another person of the difference sex, and whether it is a physical, psychological, or spiritual state.
    Then many years later, the term includes as someone who has never touch another person of another sex, physically.
    Then years later, the "virgin" include someone who doesnt have an attached partner of the different sex.....
    In modern defination, virgin is simply the unbroken hymen ....

In this digital time, why can't we simply classify all little used (as in the shutter count, say below 50?) cam as simply "mint" condition?
    from mint camera equipment to mint virgins with hymens intact...

Make sense? It's like how you drive a car so carefully so your car's outer appearance and even inner finish is still like new, but you already have clocked a certain amount of mileage that translates to a certain amount of engine wear.
    btw..your brand new car is already be considered used by the time you take possession of it

- drive from manufacturing line to holding area
    - maybe drive from holding area to whatever you call that monster that transports cars
    - drive from the monster onto ship
    - once arrive at destination port drive from ship to holding area
    - if you lucky, drive from holding area to another monster. if not maybe some contract worker will drive from holding area all the way to agent's workshop. btw...my father and his staff used to do this for alpha romeo
    - drive from workshop to delivery area

there you go....a used car!

like, if one loves a girl so much and after marriage, he found out that she got a ex-bf, and though she was technically a virgin wife you married, and yet, he suffers for years of mental torture because he felt that his wife was not in a MINT condition!
    Life is very short, dont be too petty .... buy the cam and enjoy and worry less about such classification.
    actually you have to take her word for it that she is in MINT condition anyway cos nowadays hymens can get torn thru exercise so cant use that as verification

Member/Tangshooter

Quoting the CS guideline on mint again..

Condition: Mint
    Description: Like new. Not used since it left the shop. No signs of use.
    Also known as: Mint

"Like new" and "No sign of use" is oso categorize as mint..so its still ethically right for a seller to put a camera body without scratches and looks brand new as mint condition..regardless of its shutter count..it is up to the buyer to seek for more information on the usage like shutter count..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Quoting the CS guideline on mint again..

Condition: Mint
    Description: Like new. Not used since it left the shop. No signs of use.
    Also known as: Mint

"Like new" and "No sign of use" is oso categorize as mint..so its still ethically right for a seller to put a camera body without scratches and looks brand new as mint condition..regardless of its shutter count..it is up to the buyer to seek for more information on the usage like shutter count..
    but "Not used since it left the shop." seems to override "like new" and "no signs of use".

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    actually you have to take her word for it that she is in MINT condition anyway cos nowadays hymens can get torn thru exercise so cant use that as verification
    that's what i am trying to say ..... some ppl can still do a "virgin" wrapped with a new plastic bag, new box, etc....

that's what i am trying to say ..... some ppl can still do a "virgin" wrapped with a new plastic bag, new box, etc....
    hehe..ok

"the deceptive virgin"

Member/Tangshooter

that's y japan got hymen recovery ops..

but "Not used since it left the shop." seems to override "like new" and "no signs of use".
    but i think most seller will mask that..

really???

That's also because of the high incidences of schoolgirl rape... Those gangs of guys who drive by in vans and drag a girl off the street... Sad.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That's also because of the high incidences of schoolgirl rape... Those gangs of guys who drive by in vans and drag a girl off the street... Sad.

Technically speaking, all cameras will have been loaded with battery, and the shutter would have been triggered many times during the QC and final stage of the production process BEFORE they are wrapped and put into box.
    Are they still, technically "Mint" then, based on your "virgin" theory?
    The testing process is part of the manufacturing process, which ends once it is boxed. So, yes, technically it can be considered mint. I know that this is splitting hairs, but a line has to be drawn somewhere with regards to the definition.

Buying a camera, using it, and triggering the shutter nearly a thousand times does cross this line somewhat, doesn't it?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Buying a camera, using it, and triggering the shutter nearly a thousand times does cross this line somewhat, doesn't it?
    I said 50, and you said a 1,000 ....
    You should answer your own question, if you dont want to appear brutish .....

There was once a transaction done at Cathay Photos for an expensive L lens costing in tunes of 4 digits. The buyer had no fuss with the price since they have a rather non negotiable system. The sales person took out the lens from the box and then a deal was sealed. Some days later, the buyer went back and asked the same sales person why the lens had a loose part? The sales said it is defective actually and since its under warranty, it can be sent back to Canon Service Centre. "Its free service, dont worry."

Eventually, this buyer realised that this could have been either a showcase/try out lens or one that had been returned.

My question here is (regardless its cathay or other shops), when you ask for a brand new lens, after testing it, would you ask for a new piece?

And wrt to this topic, are lens that had been tested and shown to other customers considered mint? And how about equipment that sometimes were returned in exchange for an upgrade while that returned item looked almost brand new (with a few barely visible hairline scratches)?

I guess it is the culture here to do such things. I had not been exposed to such culture when i came back after a long stay overseas. In some countries, such are called opened box items and the merchant would be honest enough to mark it down by 5% to 15% just for clearance. This is especially so for the items that left the retailing premise and customer came back to return the goods.

So, in this light, what really is considered MINT or minty since even brand new items are not quite..... brand new? So should the word mint not even be in the selection list since we are not quite certain if what we buy from singapore had been an opened box item? Yet we still pay full retail price (with some ridiculous discounts).
    Last edited by contaxable; 19th April 2008 at 11:56 PM.

btw..your brand new car is already be considered used by the time you take possession of it

- drive from manufacturing line to holding area
    - maybe drive from holding area to whatever you call that monster that transports cars
    - drive from the monster onto ship
    - once arrive at destination port drive from ship to holding area
    - if you lucky, drive from holding area to another monster. if not maybe some contract worker will drive from holding area all the way to agent's workshop. btw...my father and his staff used to do this for alpha romeo
    - drive from workshop to delivery area

there you go....a used car!

Bingo... In Singapore, especially for fast cars, some of these workers who drive over these cars from point A to showroom really wack the car to the redline (ie 6000 rpm). And guess what? The sales person would tell the new owner to drive very slowly for the first 3000 km to allow the car to break in, and DO NOT accelerate beyond 2.5k rpm!

I had seen it in Eunos MB showroom how the idiots handle brand new S350 to S500. They drive like no tomorrow, only to park the car on the next level for the first servicing.

WRT to this (loosely related only),

Lets say you see an ad in B&S, selling a lens. The ad goes..

"Selling xx-yymm lens. Brand new. Only used for testing shots."

Is it brand new or has it been tested? Does anyone sense something silly within this statement?

Member/Tangshooter

WRT to this (loosely related only),

Lets say you see an ad in B&S, selling a lens. The ad goes..

"Selling xx-yymm lens. Brand new. Only used for testing shots."

Is it brand new or has it been tested? Does anyone sense something silly within this statement?
    Common lah..Can even see "Rarely use..1++yr old lens..Mint condition"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast