Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

  1. #1

    Default Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Can you accept that a taxi driver (regardless of level of experience) do not know your destination, whether the route there or the location itself?

    Can you accept that (being a paying customer) yourself direct a taxi driver to your destination?

    What do you expect out from a Singapore taxi driver?
    1. Ex-Ferrari driver?
    2. Ambassador of Singapore, knowing everything inside-out about Singapore?
    3. Knows all the delicious food locations island wide?
    4. Knows all the.......???

  2. #2
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    i think if you know the location and way there... no harm directing the taxi driver....
    afterall, you want to get to your destination fast wat....

    its not like "i am paying you and you should do all the work thingy"
    that's a very bad mentality.....
    if you are working, you also want your customers to treat you with respect...
    what goes around comes around

  3. #3
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    I can understand if it is a ulu place. Every one needs to get starts at some point. Perhaps you have a green horn taxi driver? And, I agree you should give the direction if you know how to get there. You really don't want him to drive around and chalk up the taxi fare.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    One thing I noticed about S'porean taxi drivers: They die-die also won't refer to the street directory. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a taxi driver dunno how to get where you want to, and then pulled out the street directory?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    don be so stereotype.. my dad drives a taxi and he does that.
    Pentax K100D Super

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    One thing I noticed about S'porean taxi drivers: They die-die also won't refer to the street directory. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a taxi driver dunno how to get where you want to, and then pulled out the street directory?
    Have. I've experienced it first-hand before.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by adiknaim View Post
    don be so stereotype.. my dad drives a taxi and he does that.
    Well stereotypes exist because (I feel) that there's a truth to it. Your dad is an exception, rather than the rule. Kudos. Of course there are cab drivers who provide excellent service, but seriously, by and large, how many other cabbies do you know of who use the street directory?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    I have ever sat in a taxi where the driver uses GPS to locate the place I wanted to go. It was a Merc cab though.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by adiknaim View Post
    don be so stereotype.. my dad drives a taxi and he does that.
    i think your dad is one of the exceptions. just like most of the cab drivers i see drive like maniacs, stop indiscriminately on a 1-lane road or in the middle of a junction to drop off a passenger, brakes suddenly and cuts to the leftmost lane to pick a passenger.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Can you accept that a taxi driver (regardless of level of experience) do not know your destination, whether the route there or the location itself?

    Can you accept that (being a paying customer) yourself direct a taxi driver to your destination?

    What do you expect out from a Singapore taxi driver?
    1. Ex-Ferrari driver?
    2. Ambassador of Singapore, knowing everything inside-out about Singapore?
    3. Knows all the delicious food locations island wide?
    4. Knows all the.......???
    Once I board a yellow cab at Clementy MRT after waited in the line for more than 10mins....heading to NUS school of science at Heng Mui Keng Terrace....but the damn cabbie refuse to move said he doesn't know the destination....how many NUS do we have in our country? At the end LL...I have to switch to another cab....I wrote in to Citycab but in return I got the std reply said they will investigate....LL again

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    the cabbie refused to move you may be due to a short distance between clementi and nus.
    it would be another story it was from pasir ris.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Once I board a yellow cab at Clementy MRT after waited in the line for more than 10mins....heading to NUS school of science at Heng Mui Keng Terrace....but the damn cabbie refuse to move said he doesn't know the destination....how many NUS do we have in our country? At the end LL...I have to switch to another cab....I wrote in to Citycab but in return I got the std reply said they will investigate....LL again

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    how about taxi drivers who refuse to go to certain areas? like sungei gedong...camp driver pretend act blur don't know where gedong is or what armour units are.. (huh? armour si se moh?...pai seh my chinese not very good...you get my drift)

    alot of taxi drivers don't like or refuse to go to gedong man...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Can you accept that a taxi driver (regardless of level of experience) do not know your destination, whether the route there or the location itself?
    yes. unless i say "orchard road" and he stares at me like i'm from mars.

    in which case i would get out of the cab immediately.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    I think some taxi drivers who say they dont know the route are just testing the passenger to see whether he knows the route or not, if the passenger does not know the route then the taxi driver can take him for a long detour ride.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    i rather they ask instead of driving around in circles

  16. #16

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    the cabbie refused to move you may be due to a short distance between clementi and nus.
    it would be another story it was from pasir ris.
    lta and cab companies always say the cabby have to take you regardless of distance right? unless they are changing shift i think. can complain

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    well, it happened to me when i took cab from changi airport to tampines.
    the cabbie was grumbling along the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    lta and cab companies always say the cabby have to take you regardless of distance right? unless they are changing shift i think. can complain

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    well, it happened to me when i took cab from changi airport to tampines.
    the cabbie was grumbling along the way.
    To be fair, the taxi driver probably queue up for >1hour to earn yr $10...I use to live in Loyang and have the same problem too. I am wondering whether LTA can change the airport taxi rule such that there is a minmum charge on taxi fare eg $20, and cancel the airport surcharge.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    the cabbie refused to move you may be due to a short distance between clementi and nus.
    it would be another story it was from pasir ris.
    Where got short....that's at least 5km distance in total....what happens if people want to travel from Clementi Ave1 to Ave3? Can he turn down due to short distance?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    To be fair, the taxi driver probably queue up for >1hour to earn yr $10...I use to live in Loyang and have the same problem too. I am wondering whether LTA can change the airport taxi rule such that there is a minmum charge on taxi fare eg $20, and cancel the airport surcharge.
    who gets to keep the surcharge? my impression is that it is very lucrative to pick passengers at the airport. why else would cab drivers wait so long there?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •