Thread: Where to get photo editing tools for Mac?

Default Where to get photo editing tools for Mac?

Hi, i own a MacBook.
    Any affordable photo editing software out there for Mac?
    Dun think i can afford adobe photoshop....
    help pl........

Default Re: Where to get photo editing tools for Mac?

You can give the Corel Paint Shop Pro a try - it's kinda like a streamlined version of Photoshop and def more affordable. Or Adobe Photoshop Elements? But really, don't be surprised at what it can do for you.

Another is Adobe Lightroom but it's more for photography - Non-desructive method of RAW processing / refinement rather than editing.

Good luck.

Preview, which is already on your machine, can do a bit. If you have a new machine, you also got iPhoto, which has more tools and can catalog your photos.

Photoshop Elements 6.0 has more and was just released and does most of what consumers need without the extra functionality to make the photos magazine ready, etc.

i suppose you have tried iphoto already. well there's always GIMP which is free.

i would say photoshop elements... it's not the full version of photoshop but it can do quite a lot too. you can get it at about a hundred bucks on amazon...

BTW, I find that iPhoto is...Dunno the word...but I used to think that it's a sweet programme to organise my photos but quit using it weeks later. I do not understand how the database works, you will have duplicates in your library (not within iPhoto interface but in the library directory path), I remember vaguely, there'll be a folder called 'modify' and one 'original' and even has thumbnails of each photos and these clogs your drive space for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendy View Post
    BTW, I find that iPhoto is...Dunno the word...but I used to think that it's a sweet programme to organise my photos but quit using it weeks later. I do not understand how the database works, you will have duplicates in your library (not within iPhoto interface but in the library directory path), I remember vaguely, there'll be a folder called 'modify' and one 'original' and even has thumbnails of each photos and these clogs your drive space for no reason.
    thats where aperture comes into the picture. aperture only keeps 1 copy of each photo. all mods are stored in an edit list file. actually at $328 retail, aperture is quite cheap for what it does.

Is Aperture II good as a photo editing software? Or just used mainly as a photo library and viewer?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Is Aperture II good as a photo editing software? Or just used mainly as a photo library and viewer?
    see here for details. not as comprehensive as photoshop lah but it has the equivalent of clone tool and healing brush. since i bought aperture i seldom need to use photoshop. can adjust, edit, resize, add copyright watermark and export to different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendy View Post
    Why mess with the internals? You can do what you need to do from iPhoto itself. It's the same with iTunes, GarageBand, and the other iLife applications. You don't need to know why they do what they do, just that it works for you without your needing to be involved in micro management.