Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I will never buy another Hewlett Packard (HP) product again.

Default Re: I will never buy another Hewlett Packard (HP) product again.

woo.. was thinking of buying a HP printer.. i guess i wont buy it liao.

recently send my volume controller for servicing at CREATIVE. they say will replace a new controller for me... it almost 2 wks n no 1 call me yet. when i try to find their contact number........ thre are NO HOTLINE!!!! mayb routed to india is still better than no hotline.. u can only contact creative through email.. they need at least 1 day to reply u as stated on their website.... stunned.. all i want to know is when will i get my replacement... the counter staff said that for email, there will be people responding on SAT n SUN... i reply an email on fri... n i only get a respond on MON....
    themerchantspace.com

Quote Originally Posted by velvetrose View Post
    you could STOMP this!
    Stomp's useless except for making people look stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I had a dealing with an International Bank.

I called for the manager but they told me that the manager was not available and they could not reveal the office phone number(business phone number cannot be revealed than what is office phone meant for? I did not ask for home number.)

I call the HR dept and told them that the dept manager(don't know who) was good for nothing as they hid behind junior staff who cannot make decision. The manager only knew how to collect salary and dare not face customer when there was a concern.

I got a call from the manager the next day.
    how was that resolved? story sounds like got part 2!

I think quite a number of service centre charges a nominal amount if it is after the warranty period.

Electronics component can be very complicated and can take up to a few days to dismantle the whole printer (in this instance) to identify the fault. If everyone decides to send in their faulty item for a check (a few days each time) and at no costs but eventually choose not to repair, then who will be paying for the workers salary?

For most electronics products, many would rather not repair them, especially in developed countries like Singapore. Henceforth, electronics companies are rather not waste extra resources setting up a repair lab, knowing it will only be in red. For a item that costs $299, how many are willing to pay even $100 to get it repair? Furthermore, electronics product are constantly advancing. Therefore, it does makes sense to buy a new product and get the latest technology. Like you said, it is 56.8percent of the cost, would you even pay 30% of the cost to get it repaired and with a 3 months warranty.

On the contrast, these item will not turn faulty so easily if it is regularly used. I used to have a old inkjet printer in my ex-office that is still working after 3 years of regular use (in case, you need to know the brand, it is HP). My higher end home inkjet printer which I hardly use spoilt after a year of ownership.

For remanufactured set, they merely gave you the option since you asked for it. They get it when they offered you an option, they also get it if they don't offer you an option. So you can tell us what you'd like them to do instead?

Why be so difficult by insisting that you want to have your machine fixed. Would you really pay that kind of money to get it fixed if they really quote to you? It doesnt value add to your statement to say that thy ship it back to the factory and remanufacture it. Considering that shipping is expensive nowadays, I think your old printer will head straight for the bin instead. Also, I'd say the particular model is no longer in production so what use does it serves to keep the faulty printer.

I only agree that they should get their manager to talk to you instead. However, I presume the manager to repeat what the staff has said. You will not get a better solution to it as well.

To put a word of fairness, I find that HP has among the best customer service of those I have experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    I think quite a number of service centre charges a nominal amount if it is after the warranty period.

Electronics component can be very complicated and can take up to a few days to dismantle the whole printer (in this instance) to identify the fault. If everyone decides to send in their faulty item for a check (a few days each time) and at no costs but eventually choose not to repair, then who will be paying for the workers salary?

For most electronics products, many would rather not repair them, especially in developed countries like Singapore. Henceforth, electronics companies are rather not waste extra resources setting up a repair lab, knowing it will only be in red. For a item that costs $299, how many are willing to pay even $100 to get it repair? Furthermore, electronics product are constantly advancing. Therefore, it does makes sense to buy a new product and get the latest technology. Like you said, it is 56.8percent of the cost, would you even pay 30% of the cost to get it repaired and with a 3 months warranty.

On the contrast, these item will not turn faulty so easily if it is regularly used. I used to have a old inkjet printer in my ex-office that is still working after 3 years of regular use (in case, you need to know the brand, it is HP). My higher end home inkjet printer which I hardly use spoilt after a year of ownership.

For remanufactured set, they merely gave you the option since you asked for it. They get it when they offered you an option, they also get it if they don't offer you an option. So you can tell us what you'd like them to do instead?

Why be so difficult by insisting that you want to have your machine fixed. Would you really pay that kind of money to get it fixed if they really quote to you? It doesnt value add to your statement to say that thy ship it back to the factory and remanufacture it. Considering that shipping is expensive nowadays, I think your old printer will head straight for the bin instead. Also, I'd say the particular model is no longer in production so what use does it serves to keep the faulty printer.

I only agree that they should get their manager to talk to you instead. However, I presume the manager to repeat what the staff has said. You will not get a better solution to it as well.

To put a word of fairness, I find that HP has among the best customer service of those I have experience with.
    Very good points made and as mentioned before. Having a manager come out and speak to the customer can do a load of wonders. Especially in addressing customer doubts. But by denying the customer the chance to voice out his opinions to the Manager and keep insisting managers are not in that place etc..... It only pisses one off. Incidentally when I brought my acer in for its 4th time in 1 month due to the dvd drive breaking down despite not using it, the dvd drive basically could not be detected by the system. same story with Acer. Manager not here....
    Last edited by aeskywan; 18th April 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Those customer service at the counter have a list of excuses when you asked to see the manager.. and they will try all methods to prevent you from seeing their manager. Reason is simple.. if they always need to call their manager attention.. it shows the incompetency of them to deal with the customer and very soon, you won't see them anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    Welcome to singapore! at least they didn't forward you to a call centre in India to hear the same crap!
    hehe...kena once but not hp. my display was faulty. certain angle the video signal gone so have to tilt back and forth until got signal. so i called up the hotline and got transferred to india. explained my problem. well of cos they have a troubleshooting checklist to go thru....

support: "can you run fsck (filesystem check)?"

me: "erm...is a display problem. fsck is for checking the disk."

support: "can you run it anyway?"

me:

luckily the case got transferred to a local service vendor who laughed and shook his head when i told him the story.

It seems I am getting many mixed responses to my post.

People questioned my motive. People questioned my expectations.

But the scariest of all, there are some who don’t question at all. They just accept the situation and say, “What to do? It has happened. Tough luck. Buy new printer lor.”

I am not questioning the fact that everything in this world will break down someday and even more so when you are talking about electronics with complicated parts inside.

I am however addressing the issue of ownership.

I know I have paid 300 bucks for the machine but it still bears a HP logo on the front. Charging people just to inspect the machine is just blatantly saying after you hand over the money, we don’t want anything to do with it.

Yes I know that are cost of the staff and service centre involved but I am certain this has been factored into the 300 bucks I have handed over. Without proper money sense, how did Hewlett Packard manage to be the first IT company to report nett revenues exceeding USD 100 billion? (http://redmondmag.com/reports/articl...itorialsID=494)

Ownership should also span the entire brand. Whether I buy a 3000-dollar laptop or 36 dollar print cartridge, as long as it’s by HP, I expect a certain guarantee of usability and durability. People say oh you should buy the business laser printers, they perform better and last much long. Why? Are documents printed on laser printers more important than the documents printed on normal inkjets?

I understand price points but aren’t we all customers of HP?

Shouldn’t our satisfaction be the ultimate priory?

Beside the lack of ownership on HP’s part, what I also find disturbing is the nonchalance attitude that people now-of-days have with money. I don’t know about yours but my parents had to scrimp and save for a whole year before buying our Sony CRT TV which finally gave way after 20 years of usage. I am faced with people saying, “It’s only a $300 printer. What do you expect? Can use for one year, happy liao.”

$300 is not easy to earn. Let’s base the amount on the current average part timer wage of $5 per hour. $300 is 60 hours of standing on your feet, sweating in the sun, staring at a computer screen. 60 hours is a long time. And even if you do earn more that $5 per hour, think of those that earn less. In the current trend of rising inflation, a penny not spent is a penny saved.

Once again I stress I am not asking for a new printer nor am I even looking for a solution anymore. I would probably just continue using it as a printer alone. Or if I am really bored, bring it back down to the service centre, film me setting it on fire and posting it on Youtube as a final protest.

Rightfully as one fourmmer posted, “In Singapore, there is no such thing as consumer protection.”

All I would like is to share with you my experience and hope it helps you make a more informed choice when purchasing your next product.

Storagemat, its not that people don't care but every company does the same thing to its consumers. Push all blame to consumers and deny at all cost any fault with their products.

As I said in my previous post, I encountered the same with Acer and Hitachi, supposely top brands..... Basically just have to be careful and be prepared to trash your machine soon after warranty. Unless you want to do what the Nokia lady did and fight an all out war.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post

As I said in my previous post, I encountered the same with Acer and Hitachi, supposely top brands..... Basically just have to be careful and be prepared to trash your machine soon after warranty. Unless you want to do what the Nokia lady did and fight an all out war.
    Sony too did the same thing. So it is not only HP which adopt this. Many other corp follow suit. End of the day, the decision lies in the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by sigg View Post
    Sony too did the same thing. So it is not only HP which adopt this. Many other corp follow suit. End of the day, the decision lies in the consumer.
    Have to agree with you, own a W900 handphone. After playing java game then got white screen of death. Send to services center, they said cannot be repair. So now play smart, buy cheap good phone. At least it spoil will not so xin tian.

I have come to regard electronic devices as disposable items. After a very short time, there will be something twice as good at half the price. If the item is still working, I continue to use it (I have a working Dell Axim from 2001). If it fails within the warranty period, I will get it repaired. If the warranty has expired, I will try to repair it myself, or replace it.

I think it's fair to levy a charge for inspecting an item, because that takes time and labour. Try getting a doctor to check you for free before prescribing medicine, or a lawyer to give you free advice before acting for you. Same thing. I consider that the repair facility exists for items under warranty. Repairing items out of warranty is a service offered grudgingly. Do note that it does cost money to stock spare parts for old inventory. Does not make sense to do so for too long.

I would not judge whether or not to buy a certain brand based on the service provided for out-of-warranty items, based on my expectations stated above. I would make my decision on how well that company's products have worked, and how reliable they are.

I find HP products usually overpriced and not any better than the competition, which is why I seldom buy HP products. The exceptions have been when they came out with products which nobody else offered at that time (eg HP1000 Photosmart and HP Laserjet 4L, both of which I have purchased before - nobody else in the market had a similar product at that price point).

I find the Service Centres in Singapore pretty good, and have had good experiences with Canon, Sigma (this was out of warranty, and they had to import a part from Japan), Sony, Samsung, Fuji Xerox and Acer. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm patient, maybe I just know a little about transactional analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
    Have to agree with you, own a W900 handphone. After playing java game then got white screen of death. Send to services center, they said cannot be repair. So now play smart, buy cheap good phone. At least it spoil will not so xin tian.
    now i use $0 phones

speaking of white screen of death, my w810i had that problem. i brought it in to SE service center at wisma atria and insisted they reflash the firmware for free since i found quite a number of cases on the internet and strongly felt it was a design flaw. they kindly acceded to my request and now the phone is working again. maybe you should get them to do the same

Oh, I said that about Philips Tvs and VCRs.
    And about Toshiba computers too.
    And seriously enforce it.

I am happy about HP. I think HP makes good products.
    Especially their calculators.

Not sure if your case came about after HP bought Compaq and there was a product mix.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th April 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by storagemat View Post
    It seems I am getting many mixed responses to my post.

People questioned my motive. People questioned my expectations.

But the scariest of all, there are some who don’t question at all. They just accept the situation and say, “What to do? It has happened. Tough luck. Buy new printer lor.”

I am not questioning the fact that everything in this world will break down someday and even more so when you are talking about electronics with complicated parts inside.

I am however addressing the issue of ownership.

I know I have paid 300 bucks for the machine but it still bears a HP logo on the front. Charging people just to inspect the machine is just blatantly saying after you hand over the money, we don’t want anything to do with it.

Yes I know that are cost of the staff and service centre involved but I am certain this has been factored into the 300 bucks I have handed over. Without proper money sense, how did Hewlett Packard manage to be the first IT company to report nett revenues exceeding USD 100 billion? (http://redmondmag.com/reports/articl...itorialsID=494)

Ownership should also span the entire brand. Whether I buy a 3000-dollar laptop or 36 dollar print cartridge, as long as it’s by HP, I expect a certain guarantee of usability and durability. People say oh you should buy the business laser printers, they perform better and last much long. Why? Are documents printed on laser printers more important than the documents printed on normal inkjets?

I understand price points but aren’t we all customers of HP?

Shouldn’t our satisfaction be the ultimate priory?

Beside the lack of ownership on HP’s part, what I also find disturbing is the nonchalance attitude that people now-of-days have with money. I don’t know about yours but my parents had to scrimp and save for a whole year before buying our Sony CRT TV which finally gave way after 20 years of usage. I am faced with people saying, “It’s only a $300 printer. What do you expect? Can use for one year, happy liao.”

$300 is not easy to earn. Let’s base the amount on the current average part timer wage of $5 per hour. $300 is 60 hours of standing on your feet, sweating in the sun, staring at a computer screen. 60 hours is a long time. And even if you do earn more that $5 per hour, think of those that earn less. In the current trend of rising inflation, a penny not spent is a penny saved.

Once again I stress I am not asking for a new printer nor am I even looking for a solution anymore. I would probably just continue using it as a printer alone. Or if I am really bored, bring it back down to the service centre, film me setting it on fire and posting it on Youtube as a final protest.

Rightfully as one fourmmer posted, “In Singapore, there is no such thing as consumer protection.”

All I would like is to share with you my experience and hope it helps you make a more informed choice when purchasing your next product.
    If you really wanna promote ownership and manufacturer responsibility then you should write to american publications and stir up a lot of news so they will turn the spotlight on the company in question. right now all you're doing is talking about it in singapore which to them is a small market and thus have no real reason to care about customer dissatisfaction here. The recent woes of Creative is a damn good example of this.

If one, unfortunately continue to encounter the same issue, eventually one has to boycott all product and live isolation. I think it will never happen. Too many choices.. haha

Hi storagemat

Usually when eg I will quote an example here (Automotive Industry) - an Example - Volkswagen/Audi Cars

An Automatic Transmission is faulty - to diagnose the problem will takes a long time....so what they do is when customer have this problem - they will install another Re-Conditioned Automatic Transmission for your vehicle 1st - so you dont have to be Off-Road and get the vehicle moving asap...Delgro practices this too. This is common practice. and I think maybe a Printer is also technical - HP could have done this as a part of Customer Service.....well it's their Company Policy matters anyway.

By the way, Have you got your problem solved till now?...would have expected this to happens with HP and those larger firms engaging Supply-Chain Concept here since ....
    Last edited by RudimentalDrummer; 19th April 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Oh, I said that about Philips Tvs and VCRs.
    And about Toshiba computers too.
    And seriously enforce it.

I am happy about HP. I think HP makes good products.
    Especially their calculators.

Not sure if your case came about after HP bought Compaq and there was a product mix.
    hp ipaq quality not that great. both of mine failed just after a year. and within the first year they hung on me every now and then. sometimes had to hard reset and reinstall all my apps. their hp-brand laptops suck the last time i used them.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    hp ipaq quality not that great. both of mine failed just after a year. and within the first year they hung on me every now and then. sometimes had to hard reset and reinstall all my apps. their hp-brand laptops suck the last time i used them.
    Their calculators solid as a rock.
    Mine working more than 10 years.

Their electronic instrumentation equipment should be good.
    Their office laser printers are good too.

Their home printers are not good - everytime you buy a new ink set, you are actually buying a new print head. So costly. It is the design failure.

If you are talking about products born out of the HP-Compaq merger, then too bad. Was it a wise move? I always wonder why would anyone want to buy Compaq.

One could separate a company's industrial products from their home consumer products. Can be very different in quality.

I think for notebooks, go with Lenovo and Asus.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th April 2008 at 06:22 PM.

my $3.6k HP notbook RIP after 1yr & few days
    it set to countdown ..... afer 1yr
    Last edited by mysterio506; 20th April 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast