Thread: Tripods - buy cheap or buy expensive - what's the difference?

Default Tripods - buy cheap or buy expensive - what's the difference?

Hello all,

I have been wondering for quite sometime, while browsing through the threads on this forum: what tripod should I have bought (I have one already)?

Some people talk about getting a manfrotto tripod at a few hundreds, others talk about Sliks at below hundred, or Tanner at a few tens, so what is the difference in the end? What makes a Manfrotto for instance more expensive than a Slik? Is it the sturdiness? The slik is as sturdy as I could ask...

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks!

Default Re: Tripods - buy cheap or buy expensive - what's the difference?

Generally, the more expensive tripod+head combos are more well built and are designed to take more load, these cater for people with large and heavy setups (eg. a F5 with a 300/f2.8 lens + speedlight). Some of the less expensive ones are quite well designed but they are not really suitable heavier loads.

Some others are designed for more specific work in mind, like macro where there is a need to go really low and a horizontal column for tilting, etc ...

Now, the question is, is your tripod doing its primary job in keeping your shot perfectly stable? Is it giving you sharper pictures or does it wobble with your setup on it?

Also, is it suitable for your kind of photography? Do you find a need for your tripod to be more specific so that it can cater to your kind of photography?

Maybe you can ask yourself these questions first before you commit for a change. Btw, do post the kind of setup you are using too, I am sure other CSers will be able to give more advise on it.

I am using an F4 + tamron 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 (this is my heaviest combination).

I am interested in nature photography (landscape nature, animals, plants, macro) and city scape sometimes.

What do you think would be a suitable tripod for me? Something that has legs that are not held togethere by horizontal bars? How much would that cost?

I just one gitzo 1228 + Extra Low Column + Acratech Ultimate Ballhead + Leg Protectors + Acratech QR PLATE + 10d + EF100-400 this month , .. just to say .. u'll regret if u get some thing cheap & don like it... than hav to buy again...

to jack_ryan: what is leg protector? whats the function?

Hi rapidmax.

If you do alot of macro shots, you will find a geared center column very useful to increase the height precisely, important when you need to do some exact compositions. Also, a geared focusing rail (goes under your lens/camera) is very handy for macro.

Try to get one that is strong enough to hold your camera setup (heaviest one). Ask the people at cathay they can help you out, and bring your gear there to try things out.

Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 18th June 2003 at 12:52 AM.

How much are we talking about here, please? Just give me a range would do...

Just the rubber cover for the LEG..

Tripod Leg Protectors

Cordura-wrapped and foam insulated protection for your tripod(as well as your shoulders) from abuse. Also makes tripod easier to handle in hot or cold weather.

Default Re: Re: Tripods - buy cheap or buy expensive - what's the difference?

Originally posted by Avatar
    Generally, the more expensive tripod+head combos are more well built and are designed to take more load, these cater for people with large and heavy setups (eg. a F5 with a 300/f2.8 lens + speedlight).
    That's not a heavy load

This is a heavy load

F5 or D1x
    300/2 plus TC or 600/4 + TC
    Two Metz 60 CT4 flash units with extenders
    Large pro ballhead or gimbel type head
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!