Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

  1. #21

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    It used to be... but I think for now, it will be 18-200mm, 12-24mm and maybe if I am lazy to bring tripod, 50mm 1.8.

  2. #22

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Jeanie, since you are going to have a porter....


    ooppps!.... i packed all my lenses for this trip :P

  3. #23

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    If I go Japan, I bring Fuji. If Gemany, I will bring Leica. Russia may be Lomo. All Fixed Lens.

  4. #24
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    If you are going for a trip of which a big agenda is to shoot wildlife in some national park, ur option will be to bring something with longer focal lengths

    Otherwise the usual traveling, the lenses to bring for other travels should be pretty standard and reflects on ur decision on what u intend to get out of the trip.

    Of course u can just bring a 50mm along and take fabulous 50mm shots. But it is a matter of what u are willing to give up.

    Ryan

  5. #25

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    for an all purpose, light weight fx travelling kit, I would recommend: 17-35, 28-105, 70-300... should be pretty portable and with lenses of decent quality without scaring the natives with huge lenses pointing at their faces...

    or if you want to bring all the big guns, you could get one of these... the BigDog
    nice! but too friggin noisy!

  6. #26

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    If you are going for a trip of which a big agenda is to shoot wildlife in some national park, ur option will be to bring something with longer focal lengths

    Otherwise the usual traveling, the lenses to bring for other travels should be pretty standard and reflects on ur decision on what u intend to get out of the trip.

    Of course u can just bring a 50mm along and take fabulous 50mm shots. But it is a matter of what u are willing to give up.

    Ryan

    i love to bring my 24mm pc e lens...but u see....if i bring the 14-24, i can still duplicate the tilt shift effect with CS3.
    u see what i mean?
    argh!nevermind lah...i think i'll just grab a few more lens along.better bring most than when i want/need it...it's not there..
    sigh...

    thanks for all the comments guys and gals.

    i'll just work harder at the gym.

  7. #27

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    I have been travelling a lot. I bring one & only one lens : 18-200 VR, attached on my camera throughout the whole trip. It is an excellent lens for travelling photo. The sweet spot of this lens is f/8... very sharp. Have also tried using it with a CPL... super result... just loving it.
    :-)

  8. #28

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I have been travelling a lot. I bring one & only one lens : 18-200 VR, attached on my camera throughout the whole trip. It is an excellent lens for travelling photo. The sweet spot of this lens is f/8... very sharp. Have also tried using it with a CPL... super result... just loving it.
    :-)
    18-200 is nice as i have mentioned before but i cant make do with 5mp on my d3.
    also, there are effects with other lenses which the 18-200 will never be able to reproduce.

    bokeh is one.

    and....
    i HATE the lens creep, especially if my d3 is around my neck most of the time.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    D3
    14-24
    24-70
    70-200

    Simple, if thats too heavy, lose the 70-200.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    D3
    14-24
    24-70
    70-200

    Simple, if thats too heavy, lose the 70-200.
    Good choice. For the lightest setup, just bring the 24-70 for your D3.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    I think a wide angle zoom plus a short tele prime will cover >90% of the shoot opportunity. The tele zoom in most cases are too heavy to carry, especially if the trip involves trekking, climbing into caves, etc.

  12. #32
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I just bring all my lenses, simple as that.
    And for trip of a lifetime, bring a backup body as well

    Seriously, it all depends on what you shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •