Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D80 or A350 or 40D or 450D

Default D80 or A350 or 40D or 450D

Hey guys, am interested in getting all of your comments/reviews/opinions on those 4 models mentioned. I'm new to DSLR photography and can't decide on which of the 4 I should get. Budget would be about 2K. Looking forward to your replies

Default Re: D80 vs A350 vs 40D vs 450D

Hi micromachine

Have you gotten a chance to try hands on the camera bodies at the shops yet?

Ryan

Blog Entries

40D is way better than the lower end 450D

so you should remove the 450D from your list

btw no one would have owned all 4 of the cameras and used them enough to give you a non bias reply

go to dpreview and read the reviews

i have edited your title from vs to or
    Last edited by ortega; 16th April 2008 at 05:06 PM.

Hi ryan, yeah i've actually got a feel of all but 450d and personally quite like the D80. 40D seems rather big to me but nonetheless I believe it still is a very good camera. A350 sure is a valued for money buy having certain features which the other cameras lack and even costs lesser too.

Quote Originally Posted by macromachine View Post
    Hi ryan, yeah i've actually got a feel of all but 450d and personally quite like the D80. 40D seems rather big to me but nonetheless I believe it still is a very good camera. A350 sure is a valued for money buy having certain features which the other cameras lack and even costs lesser too.
    Seems like you got your mind made up on the Sony A350...

With that being said, there are A LOT of D80s on sale in the B&S right now. Might be worthwhile to get a body from there, then you can spend the rest of that budget on a couple of lenses.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

haha, remember to keep your options open for further upgrades in future if you're getting serious into photography! Nikon has a good range of lens available if you want advance.. I don't know about sony.
    D80|Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8|Nikon 50mm f/1.8D|80-200mm f/2.8D
    PortFolio | Photo Blog

Default Re: D80 or A350 or 40D or 450D

What would you guys recommend... body with kit lens or body with seperate lens. Might be getting one of the mentioned cameras by this weekend.

I am in a similar position. Ever consider pentax k10d or Olympus E510?

40D
    the a350 and 450d are "entry level"
    after having the 40D's price drop so much. its a steal getting it! more functions and noise control is A+

Based on the list you gave of "D80 or A350 or 40D or 450D"... go for the 40D. Heard that the price of the 40D dropped recently...
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Hi all, just would like to say thanks for all ya'll replies. Yeah I've been doing some reading up and found that the 40D is quite the performer. Hmm never really considered canon as being my first DSLR but after reading reviews and comparisons with the other 3 I think I'd just might be able to narrow it down to either the A350 or the 40D. Hope I'm making the right decision here to exclude the D80

u might wan to consider what lenses u wan to use with ur system. ultimately the lenses are gg to cost u more than ur body and affect picture quality...
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

May be the TS might want to compare the high ISO performance between the shortlisted cameras.

Definitely a big help in low light situation.

40D get my vote, I'm getting mine next week.

40D is a level higher than 450D, D80.

Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    u might wan to consider what lenses u wan to use with ur system. ultimately the lenses are gg to cost u more than ur body and affect picture quality...
    Hi sunboi, yeah have considered the lens factor. Based on my read-ups and do correct me if i'm wrong, I understand that getting lenses be it Canon or 3rd parties is not much of a problem? I hope to get a body which could last me throughout my 'newbiehood' to perhaps an amateur someday?

Hi sunboi, yeah have considered the lens factor. Based on my read-ups and do correct me if i'm wrong, I understand that getting lenses be it Canon or 3rd parties is not much of a problem? I hope to get a body which could last me throughout my 'newbiehood' to perhaps an amateur someday?
    The Sony/Alpha mount marketplace is growing quite rapidly. I don't think you really need to worry too much about any of these systems.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    May be the TS might want to compare the high ISO performance between the shortlisted cameras.

Definitely a big help in low light situation.
    Hi cichlid, that's a gd point which I'll definitely take note! Tks! If I'm not mistaken Canon performs pretty well with it's high ISO rite?

Personally, i think a camera body is worth much more than its ISO performance.
    AF speed, white balancing, exposure metering, comfortable handling, user interface, LCD, viewfinder, price, resolution, blah blah blah. ..
    But i think among all these, ISO performance seems to be the easiest to compare.

Nevertheless, yeah I think the Canon is a good performer at high ISO
    But don't count the Sony A350 out, because the combination of SuperSteady Shot with a fast prime lens (eg. 50mm f/1.4, 30mm f/1.4, 135mm f/1.8) makes for an incredibly whacky machine!!

Hi cichlid, that's a gd point which I'll definitely take note! Tks! If I'm not mistaken Canon performs pretty well with it's high ISO rite?
    Snap snap away!

Personally, I'll go for something which I feel most comfortable with. No point I get something which I am not comfortable with. Do also consider how often you shoot in low light situation and if you print your photos too cos if you do print your photos you'll realised that the noise level is pretty acceptable as compared to what you see on your PC. Otherwise, I'm not sure how Nikon, Pentax, Sony (for models using CCD) or Olympus users shoot in low light.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

hello macromachine,

you should actually comparing dslr in the same range, as 40D is not in the same range as the other 3. In term of performance, 40D is already far better than the rest. But having say that, A350 did have some + point there (SSS and DRO). If you are thinking of 40D then you should compare it with A700, as much better dslr by Sony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast