Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film cartridge help needed!!!

Default Re: Film cartridge help needed!!!

Was searching for a film picker when I chance across this thread.

Had been through the same "embarrassment" last year, happily took my FE camera (with 1st roll of film) to take pictures during a friend's wedding. In fact I disrupted their lunch several times to get them pose for pictures. Done all that without realising that the film wasn't latched on properly, and the rewind knob did not turn when I advanced the film.

Sent the roll to develop after the wedding, and came back with no pictures.

All going back to film, even me I see. Did the same mistake and realised that the knob did not turn, but in time so film not wasted.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Take a biz card and cut to fit the slot.
    Attach double-sided tape to the edge of card.
    Roll back the film till you feel/hear the tip go past the slot. Now, roll again till you aggak the tip almost reach the slot.
    Insert card with tape-end down, then very slowly continue rolling back. As the film leader goes past the inside lip, it should 'spring' up a bit, hitting the tape.
    Very gently pull out. IIRC, that was how I did it before.
    Hey, thanks a million for that! Had the same dilemma some weeks ago and I was still pondering about a chance to "rescue" the roll. Just did some minor change:
    Since the slot and the velvet is quite tight the gluing tape will rather stick to it, difficult to feel how far to push inside. I just made the slot a bid wider by using a small blade. After the 'snap' I just pushed the card with the gluing tape a bit further inside to let it stick better. Then slowing pulling out and the film followed.
    Don't forget to close the widened slot again. Some slight pressure with any pen or so will do.

LOLZ!

This thread still alive ah?

Be sure to use a very slim piece of tape and you will usually not encounter any problems. I used to cut the double-sided tape (with backing still on) to about 1 or 2 mm and usually no problems.

If you want to widen the lips, try to do it in a darkened or very dim room can liao.

vince123123
    Guests

In my view, for all that risk and trouble, I'd rather just spend around S$8 for a film picker, or alternatively, go to a shop to ask them to do it for you. All that poking with tapes and blades increase the risk of damage to your precious exposed film.

agree with Vince, season photographers and lab people are very familiar all these make shift film picker, so it wouldn't scratch film easily, beside, it is faster then the proper film picker, that why they want to use it, not becos of cheapo.

a proper film picker is only cost a few dollars, get one and you will have peace of mind of retrieving your film leader.

I also using a proper film picker, cos I need to use it in the field.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    In my view, for all that risk and trouble, I'd rather just spend around S$8 for a film picker, or alternatively, go to a shop to ask them to do it for you. All that poking with tapes and blades increase the risk of damage to your precious exposed film.
    It's not exposed yet. Worst case I'll scratch only the part that is pulled out anyway when loading the film into the camera. But you are right, in the long run a proper tool will do the job better. For this time the DYI solution worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I AGREE! just get a NORMAL film picker.

somethings are worth DIY-ing, others, not.

i got mine from cathay, 10bucks.

For my roll of film that got rolled in, I've went to my usual shop at AMK to get help. The film picker they used apparently is more sturdy, like a desk-mounted pencil sharpener. Just insert the measuring-tape like tape into the roll, turn the drum, pull the tape, and it's out.

Hopefully I don't have to bother them often.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, those used by shops are easier to use, have a higher pick-rate and are more bulky. I'll say they resemble a desktop scotch tape holder rather than a pencil sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    For my roll of film that got rolled in, I've went to my usual shop at AMK to get help. The film picker they used apparently is more sturdy, like a desk-mounted pencil sharpener. Just insert the measuring-tape like tape into the roll, turn the drum, pull the tape, and it's out.

Hopefully I don't have to bother them often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12