Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

I wish to buy a slr camera.
    Seems this my first time can any expert recommend a basic slr camera for me start with.

hm let's start with a budget and the kind of photos you would be interested in

budget around $300.
    Seems this a start I want to learn how to use the slr camera to take simple pictures.

neuro
    Guests

I'm no expert here but if i recall correctly, a budget of $300 range would get u the very entry levels only like eos 66, nikon F55, and minolta's dinax 5 (err promo which throws in extra zoom lens will cost $600 plus), which if u get hooked onto photography as a hobby, u'd probably want to upgrade.

But there are lots of pple who'd agree that simple cameras can do great justice to your photos, it's not the camera, bit more the lens but it's the eye behind the camera.

Maybe u can help others help u by stating which brand u fancy?
    note: fancy cuz we prob can't say which is BETTER.
    I'm sure all nikon, canon, minolta etc users will proudly suppport their much-loved brand.

U want to get brand new or 2nd hand? 2nd hand maybe have more choices but of course being newbie, very risky - not to say that the sellers in CS are trustworthy, just it takes lots of skill to check out a 2nd hand camera.

Am i right in saying all these?

Good luck.

Welcome aboard Ahmad,

With a $300 budget, option is rather limited.

Your best choice will be to get from the 2nd hand market here or other online classified/auction.

A body with a kit lens come to mind.

F55+ 28-80mm G ?

If you have teh extra cash, would suggest you to spend more on better body. (A key feature for me is a metal mount)

From my experience, F65 + 28-80mmG will cost abt $400+- 2nd hand.

Dun forget to get a dry cabinet and decent camera bag.

Originally posted by neuro
    I'm no expert here but if i recall correctly, a budget of $300 range would get u the very entry levels only like eos 66, nikon F55, and minolta's dinax 5 (err promo which throws in extra zoom lens will cost $600 plus), which if u get hooked onto photography as a hobby, u'd probably want to upgrade.

But there are lots of pple who'd agree that simple cameras can do great justice to your photos, it's not the camera, bit more the lens but it's the eye behind the camera.

Maybe u can help others help u by stating which brand u fancy?
    note: fancy cuz we prob can't say which is BETTER.
    I'm sure all nikon, canon, minolta etc users will proudly suppport their much-loved brand.

U want to get brand new or 2nd hand? 2nd hand maybe have more choices but of course being newbie, very risky - not to say that the sellers in CS are trustworthy, just it takes lots of skill to check out a 2nd hand camera.

Am i right in saying all these?

Good luck.
    Thanks for the valuable info.For 2nd hand items more choices and the price also very reasonable.Now looking for good deals at buy and sell forums and also at yahoo auctions.

Originally posted by binbeto
    Welcome aboard Ahmad,

Your best choice will be to get from the 2nd hand market here or other online classified/auction.

F55+ 28-80mm G ?

If you have teh extra cash, would suggest you to spend more on better body. (A key feature for me is a metal mount)

Thanks for the information.
    At least now I know how much I need to top-up for my budget.
    Also looking good 2nd hand deals for this nikon camera as you mentioned.

Originally posted by binbeto
    Welcome aboard Ahmad,

F55+ 28-80mm G ?

I managed to get a Nikon F55+ 28-80mm for $200 second hand.

hunt for a good second hand Nikon manual body and 50mm lens. most can meter and you will really learn the basics...

Deregistered

The Nikon FM2 seems nice think second hand is about $400+ from TCW?

Think he already found one! :-)

Ahmad:
    Good luck with the F55 and the lens!

I would recommend you to look at pics in good photo magazines or photo books of photographers that you can feel with. Also, National Geographic has taught me alot about seeing the world around us!

Photography is about looking carefully around you, hope you can see the light! Simple things can look great if seen more carefully!

Hope you can master the technical part soon so that you can do what you have in mind..............

Hong Sien

Thanks