Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please recommend good but affordable men's tailor?

Deregistered

Default Re: Please recommend good but affordable men's tailor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    What is the market rate for a tailored short-sleeve shirt?

What are the things or terms to look out for when tailoring for a shirt?
    The prices depend on where you go. Basically the charges r more on material eg: Grade A to C. I used to tailor all my working clothes at this particular high end tailor and the prices r between $150 -$200+ per shirt. Expensive but their material are all high end Grade A material. However i have stopped patronising them cos like what contaxable mentioned, nowadays, the tailors are only cloth cutters, n the stiching n sewing r all outsourced to seamtresses. That means u r not longer paying for a master's workmanship but only for material. Therefore nowadays i rather pay for grade A material in peninsula shopping centre as their prices r lower. If u want to choose Grade C material,(there r nice ones out there) be prepared to wash the shirt by hand n that the shirt will probably last for a year or so. Call me snobbish if u want but IMO, tailored shirts should be immaculate n well fitted. I have seen people wearing tailored shirts with lousy material,bad workmanship (bad cuffs, wrong, outdated collar) n they look damn shabby. Since u want to tailor your shirt, u might as well choose a good material from an experienced tailor.

Basically, all u need to look out for is the material and a tailor who is updated about trends as i realised most peninsula tailors share the same seamtresses. Design wise, u'll just need to tell them what u want n they'll tell u with their experience whether it is feasible. If u r looking for good workmanship, head to thailand, HK or shanghai. I have not tried personality menshop but i've tried tessuti (dunno how to spell), dezenno n frank tailor. Frank's alterations r good but i have never tailored any shirts from him so i cannot comment on his materials n such. As for tessuti n dezenno, their material r funkier n more high end. I especially like dezenno's wool pants.

Psss...Avoid dreamland tailor unless u have $$ to spend. The aunt boss is damn snobby and a few friends of mine had a taste of her snobbishness as well so i guess i'm not sensitive. Hope my information helps.
    Last edited by bovine; 4th June 2008 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    The prices depend on where you go. Basically the charges r more on material eg: Grade A to C. I used to tailor all my working clothes at this particular high end tailor and the prices r between $150 -$200+ per shirt. Expensive but their material are all high end Grade A material. However i have stopped patronising them cos like what contaxable mentioned, nowadays, the tailors are only cloth cutters, n the stiching n sewing r all outsourced to seamtresses. That means u r not longer paying for a master's workmanship but only for material. Therefore nowadays i rather pay for grade A material in peninsula shopping centre as their prices r lower. If u want to choose Grade C material,(there r nice ones out there) be prepared to wash the shirt by hand n that the shirt will probably last for a year or so. Call me snobbish if u want but IMO, tailored shirts should be immaculate n well fitted. I have seen people wearing tailored shirts with lousy material,bad workmanship (bad cuffs, wrong, outdated collar) n they look damn shabby. Since u want to tailor your shirt, u might as well choose a good material from an experienced tailor.

Basically, all u need to look out for is the material and a tailor who is updated about trends as i realised most peninsula tailors share the same seamtresses. Design wise, u'll just need to tell them what u want n they'll tell u with their experience whether it is feasible. If u r looking for good workmanship, head to thailand, HK or shanghai. I have not tried personality menshop but i've tried tessuti (dunno how to spell), dezenno n frank tailor. Frank's alterations r good but i have never tailored any shirts from him so i cannot comment on his materials n such. As for tessuti n dezenno, their material r funkier n more high end. I especially like dezenno's wool pants.

Psss...Avoid dreamland tailor unless u have $$ to spend. The aunt boss is damn snobby and a few friends of mine had a taste of her snobbishness as well so i guess i'm not sensitive. Hope my information helps.
    I know there are different materials for pants. Are there different materials for shirts as well? If there are, how do one tell/feel/see/smell/hear?

if u drop by Bangkok, can try Pinky's .. personal recommendation
    they do overseas mail order too.. but u must hv e measurements la

www.pinkytailor.com

www.pinkytailor.com

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Been tailoring my office wear at Frank Tailor for the last 10 years.
    Peninsula Shopping Complex #03-23 Tel 6337 9413.
    Been using Frank Tailor since 1996!

Deregistered

I know there are different materials for pants. Are there different materials for shirts as well? If there are, how do one tell/feel/see/smell/hear?
    Hmm...this is a question i cannot answer appropriately I don't know abt smell but for grade A n C, it's obvious that the A cotton feels smoother n the colours r more vibrant. A friend of mine told me to look at the ends of the cloth where the threads r dangling. I can't tell the good threads from the bad ones though so i guess u need to go to a honest tailor who will not sell u grade B material at A price.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sensx View Post

www.pinkytailor.com
    Prices n services look good.

Smile Re: Please recommend good but affordable men's tailor?

check out a shop at chinatown that specialize in men's suit. contact Florence at 90235984. I think about $150 for jacket & pants.
    anyone try this?

What is the market rate for a tailored short-sleeve shirt?

What are the things or terms to look out for when tailoring for a shirt?
    The price quoted to me was the same $50/60 as the wastage/amount of materials was similar. I wanted long sleeves anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I have not tried personality menshop but i've tried tessuti (dunno how to spell), dezenno n frank tailor. Frank's alterations r good but i have never tailored any shirts from him so i cannot comment on his materials n such. As for tessuti n dezenno, their material r funkier n more high end. I especially like dezenno's wool pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Been using Frank Tailor since 1996!
    Hehe other happy Frank's customers. I like the plain bright whites from his shop.

well i still perfer men's creation at Peninsula plaza level 2 or 3, beside funan. the shop is always pack with ppl during lunch or dinner time..
    shoot for fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12