Thread: Silkair Landing

Default Silkair Landing

Hi All, trying panning outside airport today. Passed by there last week and saw this location to shoot plane thus went there today. Hope all bro & sis give some C&C are welcome and thank you.

Image taken with below setting
    Canon400D with 17-85
    F5.6, 1/100, ISO400@85mm RAW file.
    Lower part of the original image was cropped
    :vhappy:EOS400D

Default Re: Silkair Landing

hi,

kudos on the panning shot. shoot raw? u got alot of memory space...hahaha. anyway, the plane needs to have look room. at the moment i feel its sitting in the wrong thrid of the photo. should maybe be to the right since its moving right to the left. my opinion that it seems a little odd.

cheers
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Quote Originally Posted by stupidbloke View Post
    hi,

kudos on the panning shot. shoot raw? u got alot of memory space...hahaha. anyway, the plane needs to have look room. at the moment i feel its sitting in the wrong thrid of the photo. should maybe be to the right since its moving right to the left. my opinion that it seems a little odd.

cheers
    second his opinion, perhaps shift the focus point to the right and pan the plane as usual. quite a good take but can vary the shutter speed to achieve different degree of blur in the background

Agree with the previous two commentors. Also, vignetting at upper right is distracting (is it from the fence?) Finally, the runway is not horizontal, but I'm not sure if making it horizontal would improve picture or make it worse... Sorry to nitpick. The panning part looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidbloke View Post
    hi,

cheers
    I did not crop the width too much. I want to keep the smoke on the right side ......then further on the left side of the plane is being block by a "No Entry" sign.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    second his opinion, perhaps shift the focus point to the right and pan the plane as usual. quite a good take but can vary the shutter speed to achieve different degree of blur in the background
    Oh ya....never though of slowing down the shutter speed, cos i scare even the plane also become blurr. As it was about 6pm already and the sky actually quite dark liao. Will try it next time.
    Focus point......you mean try to focus on the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Agree with the previous two commentors. Also, vignetting at upper right is distracting (is it from the fence?) Finally, the runway is not horizontal, but I'm not sure if making it horizontal would improve picture or make it worse... Sorry to nitpick. The panning part looks good.
    Now then i notice its not horizontal.......thanks.

Thanks all for the C&C.

Quote Originally Posted by pckee View Post
    I did not crop the width too much. I want to keep the smoke on the right side ......then further on the left side of the plane is being block by a "No Entry" sign.

Oh ya....never though of slowing down the shutter speed, cos i scare even the plane also become blurr. As it was about 6pm already and the sky actually quite dark liao. Will try it next time.
    Focus point......you mean try to focus on the tail?

Now then i notice its not horizontal.......thanks.

Thanks all for the C&C.
    not quite right if to say focus on the tail, shift the focus point in the view finder to the right

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    not quite right if to say focus on the tail, shift the focus point in the view finder to the right
    orh.......OK.....noted...thanks

great panning effort more space on the left side of the frame cud have balanced the pic. soft orange tinge on the sky and green grass complete the color effect overall a postcard pic indeed

Quote Originally Posted by pckee View Post
    the panning is good; what others have mentioned is valid too; your plane is flying out of the frame, not into the frame; so the viewer's eye flies out from it almost immediately.. and never returns.

not sure if there is any solution given the above conditions, but the smoke is not necessary luh, especially when you pan already.. just become one big blur, smoke or not smoke still the same

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    great panning effort more space on the left side of the frame cud have balanced the pic. soft orange tinge on the sky and green grass complete the color effect overall a postcard pic indeed
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the panning is good; what others have mentioned is valid too; your plane is flying out of the frame, not into the frame; so the viewer's eye flies out from it almost immediately.. and never returns.

not sure if there is any solution given the above conditions, but the smoke is not necessary luh, especially when you pan already.. just become one big blur, smoke or not smoke still the same
    OK....seems that all are suggesting to keep the plane on the right side.....noted for the composition. Thanks for the advice given.