Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the portrait shoot on CS just shooting a pretty face?

Default Re: Are the portrait shoot on CS just shooting a pretty face?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    We pull every trick out of the bag, we deliver, the girl now feels she is god gifts to modeling, and overnight, we created another deluded soul ...
    isn't this is what's life is about?.... dream ......
    our leaders do it, our bosses do it, our parents do it, everyone is doing it ......
    but out of thousands, there is always a real gem
    always the Light, .... always.

well said all! wonder what if that lousy model in everything that you named earlier goes on to demand higher pay becos her pictures turned out so nice...haha

it amounts to a more uphill task for the next photographer to par that level or better haha

after reading those that its just a hobby it is very sensible to say that too. still, a hobby derives from passion and passion should demand for quality unless the hobby is collecting pretty girl faces lol!

We pull every trick out of the bag, we deliver, the girl now feels she is god gifts to modeling, and overnight, we created another deluded soul ...
    there are those who already do not need good photographers to make them feel that way any camera will make them feel that way

i'm sure you would have seen examples before

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    well said all! wonder what if that lousy model in everything that you named earlier goes on to demand higher pay becos her pictures turned out so nice...haha

it amounts to a more uphill task for the next photographer to par that level or better haha

after reading those that its just a hobby it is very sensible to say that too. still, a hobby derives from passion and passion should demand for quality unless the hobby is collecting pretty girl faces lol!
    i think actually a lot of people have missed the point here that i think you are trying to make

you are trying to say that p&p shouldn't be JUST about pretty faces, and i hope i have not gotten you wrong

and it is true - this may be a personal view but i do feel that most pretty faces do not have much character behind it; and there is hardly ever any story behind the photograph. there are possibly what i would call a few "levels" of photography, it isn't as if scaling one level makes you superior, but the most powerful photographs are those who can make you feel.

there is a very solid reason why from what i see, 80% of the time award winning images with a portrait theme are never of models. one could argue that it is so commonplace everywhere; for one, the head and shoulders shot with a pretty face smiling, you can only do so much with it. what i think is also a crucial point is that there is no feel behind it, there is no mood, there is no character.

some of the better model shooters (e.g. dp, kongo) can add something special to it, make it even more beautiful, maybe even evoke some emotion, with enough communication perhaps you can bring out some form of character. but with youth, how much character can you have?

i really hope to see more non-model related works; the model photographers who like what they are doing, by all means, go ahead, shoot what you want to shoot. after all, even if the model is not pretty making her pretty or attaining YOUR vision is what you are perfectly entitled to.. but i think that those who shoot anything other than models should also post up their stuff too - be it children, elderly, or anything other than a posed face; half the time i see more of these photos in landscaspes more than i see them in p&p.. yes, maybe you have met them in your travel, but i do think it is slightly more appropriate to post it here.

if anything, you could change the climate somewhat, and add more flavour and variety to p&p. most of the time it is the same cycle, everytime after any model shoot you get 3-8 threads of the same model, same costume, same standard from the same photographers. i don't shoot portraits, maybe i can't appreciate them, but i do find p&p one of the most boring sections here precisely because of this trend.

Saw the links, those are off shoe flash? or strobes?
    favourited that link just for future references heh
    IIRC, Off shoe flash bro~ I didn't visit the site for some time though cos no model for me to try out on leh. Haha. I remember there is one page where he intro where he position his flash. Think he uses 3 flash.

To some photographer: pretty face = model
    To some pretty face: big camera = professional photographer

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Time to invest in a Mamiya RZ67, then will look damn pro
    I just miss the sort of shoots found in CS over a year ago when a lot of the models had more than just a pretty face

umm, that is why creating a picture should have more depth in it.

artistic nude although i am unsure of its true underlying artistic aspects, there is much to explore in the picture, at least to me, trying to feel why the light was positioned in that way to present the curves and so on. maybe that is just the learning and admiration part, when i'm at that level (if only) it might appear boring to me perhaps?

actually alot of the model shoots here go along with some themes, which is quite an effort to create something with the models. but justice is not done when the final product is realised. or in my pov, the close up shots, like nightmare mentioned of head and shoulders, is a play of dof and sharpness test.

''wah nice bokeh''

''wow so sharp, what was the lens set up?""

of course i will ask that too to understand how it was shot, but w relation to the theme?

I applaud youhong's recent model shoot, that of the hip hop dancer, the use of wide angle (quite rare liao!!) to portray the model and her working environment as one. I thought that series was very very good!

Not putting down other model shoots here but there is some ''feel'' missing from the many other average joe shot pictures. I am so new in this and one might find me not qualified to comment but its a judgement base on my personal perspective simply put.

you don't have to be the world fastest man to coach the world fastest man.
    Last edited by sprintist; 15th April 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    IIRC, Off shoe flash bro~ I didn't visit the site for some time though cos no model for me to try out on leh. Haha. I remember there is one page where he intro where he position his flash. Think he uses 3 flash.
    thanks for the info, saw quite a fwe similar sites, a site one too many and it confuses which is which sometimes haha. 3 flashes w assistant i suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    how about the mua?

thanks for the info, saw quite a fwe similar sites, a site one too many and it confuses which is which sometimes haha. 3 flashes w assistant i suppose?

how about the mua?
    Hi sprintist, sorry for the wrong info. Brent, the photographer for the State of the Nation, saw the link from CS to his website and sent me this flickr mail.

"Hi Teriyappie,

I keep seeing this thread from clubsnap forum appearing in my website stats. I know it is a very old thread, but people are obviously still reading it and linking to my site which is cool.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=368399&page=2

I thought I would just correct a detail however, in that all of my images are done with just the one Canon 580EX (with no modifiers - umbrella, softbox etc). All I use are the sun and a bare flash unit. It's a simple and highly portable lighting setup.

You can see all my setup details in the description of my flickr streams.

Thanks for looking, and I have to say some of your Singapore images are stunning, I'd love to do some work over there!
    Thanks,
    Brent."

And the link to his Flickr is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stateofthenation/

Hope this helps~

Hi sprintist, sorry for the wrong info. Brent, the photographer for the State of the Nation, saw the link from CS to his website and sent me this flickr mail.

"Hi Teriyappie,

I keep seeing this thread from clubsnap forum appearing in my website stats. I know it is a very old thread, but people are obviously still reading it and linking to my site which is cool.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=368399&page=2

I thought I would just correct a detail however, in that all of my images are done with just the one Canon 580EX (with no modifiers - umbrella, softbox etc). All I use are the sun and a bare flash unit. It's a simple and highly portable lighting setup.

You can see all my setup details in the description of my flickr streams.

Thanks for looking, and I have to say some of your Singapore images are stunning, I'd love to do some work over there!
    Thanks,
    Brent."

And the link to his Flickr is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stateofthenation/

Hope this helps~
    woo, a dedicated strobist by nature i tink it was very polite of him to reply you as well!

woo, a dedicated strobist by nature i tink it was very polite of him to reply you as well!
    Ya man~ I've replied him as well. Do hope he comes to SG and maybe we can learn a few trick from him~

Ya man~ I've replied him as well. Do hope he comes to SG and maybe we can learn a few trick from him~
    haha for sure, make an organised outing then haha!

Yup, if it is so, why not? All we need is our cam and a flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    isn't this is what's life is about?.... dream ......
    our leaders do it, our bosses do it, our parents do it, everyone is doing it .....

but out of thousands, there is always a real gem
    Dream is important. But I will be no part of that dream, particularly, the photographer that helps create it.

I am not shooting to for philanthropy. Photography is not in itself a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there are those who already do not need good photographers to make them feel that way any camera will make them feel that way

i'm sure you would have seen examples before
    Seen it a lot. And that does not mean I agree with it, and does not mean I will shut up either.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

Seen it a lot. And that does not mean I agree with it, and does not mean I will shut up either.

and i hope you don't

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12