Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Any computer expert here can help?

  1. #1
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default Any computer expert here can help?

    I know there some IT expert here dunno if they know the answer to this. If I have one 1.2Ghz Pentium machine with standard devices install (CD-ROM, floppy, ......etc.) and another 2Ghz Pentium m/c also standard. The question is:

    Is there a way to make the 2 PCs run parallel? i.e. To make the 2 PCs into one logical cluster (1.2ghz+2Ghz = 3.2Ghz)?

  2. #2

    Default

    not that i know of
    by the way i like that compass
    silva?

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Clustering you mean? As in load balancing?

  4. #4
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by espn
    Clustering you mean? As in load balancing?

    Not really load balancing lah, more of combining the power of 2 or several CPUs to work together, its call "Parallel Computing".
    Last edited by Verre Vrai; 16th June 2003 at 11:31 AM.

  5. #5
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by gabriel06
    not that i know of
    by the way i like that compass
    silva?
    Well, I hear of some oversea U that hv successfully done it. I think it is possible but not easy.

    Nope not Silva compass, Silva is popular for its Ranger series which has a cover and mirror ans Orienteering compass
    Last edited by Verre Vrai; 16th June 2003 at 11:34 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    u mean those huge machines they use as server?
    tink that will need special software to do it

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default

    1st, to run clustering or serious form of load balancing in windows, u'll need Windows 2000 Advanced Server Edition and above or Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition and above.

    2nd, even if u cluster, 1.2GHz+2Ghz != 3.2GHz, u can't just add them up.

    For unix, ... 8X

    so seriously, why do u want to run ur PCs in parallel? what apps u running?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    U can do so via Linux or Unix.

  9. #9
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by Zplus
    U can do so via Linux or Unix.

    I just found out and read up abt Beowulf in Linux, are u refering to Beowulf clustering? If so, have u try it b4?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Any computer expert here can help?

    Originally posted by Verre Vrai
    I know there some IT expert here dunno if they know the answer to this. If I have one 1.2Ghz Pentium machine with standard devices install (CD-ROM, floppy, ......etc.) and another 2Ghz Pentium m/c also standard. The question is:

    Is there a way to make the 2 PCs run parallel? i.e. To make the 2 PCs into one logical cluster (1.2ghz+2Ghz = 3.2Ghz)?
    Sure, Linux + Beowulf, but of course the software you are going to us have to support parallel processing too .

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by AJ23
    1st, to run clustering or serious form of load balancing in windows, u'll need Windows 2000 Advanced Server Edition and above or Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition and above.

    2nd, even if u cluster, 1.2GHz+2Ghz != 3.2GHz, u can't just add them up.

    For unix, ... 8X

    so seriously, why do u want to run ur PCs in parallel? what apps u running?
    True True .... but he is talking about parallel processing not just clustering or load balancing .

    Like the ones that were used in creating the Titianic graphics and animation. Clustering 255 PCs Motherboard together and used parallel processing .

    What he is thinking of is more towards distributed computing, where a program will cut itself to multiple pieces and distribute it's code to various different system to be processed. Other then the OS, the application has to have that capability too .

  12. #12

    Default

    Here's a good starting place on Freshmeat
    Linux Clustering Software : http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/458/

  13. #13
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by willyfoo
    Here's a good starting place on Freshmeat
    Linux Clustering Software : http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/458/
    Merci beaucoup.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •