Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Using iMovie on a Mac

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Using iMovie on a Mac

    Hello fellow forum-ers!

    Now I'm probably going to sound like a fool but I have an issue with iMovie. Hope it's a simple fix that I simply have not figured out.

    There's a bunch of photos arranged in alphabetical order in Finder and I'm trying to drag them all into iMovie to create a slideshow. I select everything and drag it in and it works, however the order becomes reversed. That is to say, the last picture in Finder (based on alphabetical order) appears first in iMovie and when I play the movie that picture indeed appears first.

    How can I add photos to iMovie in the correct alphabetical order?

  2. #2
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Erm... Probably not a fix but can try reverse sorting the names and dragging them in?

    If it's just a simple slideshow, I think you can put your photos into iPhoto and export them as a slideshow also, if I rememeber correctly.
    Did one for my mum like that before.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Erm... Probably not a fix but can try reverse sorting the names and dragging them in?

    If it's just a simple slideshow, I think you can put your photos into iPhoto and export them as a slideshow also, if I rememeber correctly.
    Did one for my mum like that before.
    Haha...when I had a problem with this program my first instinct was to ask you for advice. Nevertheless after troubling you so much the last time I figured that I might try looking for answers myself.

    In the end I am still asking you for help.

    So yes, I've already tried reverse sorting in Finder to drag them in. I've even tried selecting from bottom to top and dragging in but the same thing results. I'd need to try exporting from iPhoto, but it'll be a PITA to have to import everything into iPhoto and then export again from there.

    Hope there's a way to make this work, otherwise dragging in one photo at a time for a future wedding slideshow will probably drive me insane.

  4. #4
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Just drag all the photos into iPhoto.

    From the menu, choose to view Titles, which should be the filenames.
    Then you can sort by titles, ascending or descending.

    Oh, that time I did , I just exported it to iDVD, picked a template and burned it to disc.
    Didn't actually export to iMovie.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Just drag all the photos into iPhoto.

    From the menu, choose to view Titles, which should be the filenames.
    Then you can sort by titles, ascending or descending.

    Oh, that time I did , I just exported it to iDVD, picked a template and burned it to disc.
    Didn't actually export to iMovie.
    I see...reason why I'm using iMovie is because I am experimenting with the Ken Burns effect and want to achieve a specific motion with each image. In the end I need to edit each image but if I could get everything in order in the first place that would help a lot.

  6. #6
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Try asking at the apple support forums at discussions.apple.com/

    More Apple experts there

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Try asking at the apple support forums at discussions.apple.com/

    More Apple experts there
    Thanks. So far I have done as you suggested by importing from iPhoto and it seems to work fine, just an extra step needed to get things done, considering I wouldn't normally use iPhoto anyway.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    use iPhoto to do the slideshow and import the slideshow into iMovie or iDVD

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Using iMovie on a Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    use iPhoto to do the slideshow and import the slideshow into iMovie or iDVD
    Thanks. It's become obvious to me now that all these programs work best when used together. I ended up importing all the photos into iPhoto and then into iMovie from there. Works okay now. I have not found an option to make slideshows in iPhoto as of yet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •