Thread: Which lens is good for travel? Sigma 18-200mm or Canon EF55-200mm?

Default Which lens is good for travel? Sigma 18-200mm or Canon EF55-200mm?

Hi,

I am new to photography and i am looking to upgrade my lens from my lens kit to 1 that i can use for travelling and walkabout.

I am using a Canon EOS 400D and I am quite low in budget as of the moment. I went to CP and one lady recommended EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM. It seems not bad and it has image stabilizer. But I am looking at my options now. It seems that Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS is quite popular?

What i need is a lens that i can use for travel, to walk around and capture beautiful pictures - and all these without lowering the quality of photos.

Hope to get some advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Which lens is good for travel? Sigma 18-200mm or Canon EF55-200mm?

My friend recently got a EF-S 55-250mm IS (S$360 from J3:16) and I tested it out for 2 days. It's still good, if not a bit non-contrasty, so upping the in-camera contrast did help just a bit (or RAW editing on computer).

Haven't tried the 18-200mm.

You have a 400D, that means you probably have another lens.. so what setup do you have now?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Its the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    My friend recently got a EF-S 55-250mm IS (S$360 from J3:16) and I tested it out for 2 days. It's still good, if not a bit non-contrasty, so upping the in-camera contrast did help just a bit (or RAW editing on computer).

Haven't tried the 18-200mm.

You have a 400D, that means you probably have another lens.. so what setup do you have now?
    He mentioned kit lens, should be 18-55mm.

I got a 18-55 and a 55-250.. Loving them

Personally, I find the 18-200's OS not as "powerful" as the 55-250's IS
    Meow!

hey yes! i do have a 18-55 now....i asked CP - they quoted me $360 too...i was surprised because i expected all lens to be above $500..think $360 suits my budget.

do you guys think then whether owning 2 lens can be troublesome for travelling? Unless i am taking close shots like macro shots, in travelling one would normally use a 55-200mm?

Quote Originally Posted by ashash View Post
    do you guys think then whether owning 2 lens can be troublesome for travelling? Unless i am taking close shots like macro shots, in travelling one would normally use a 55-200mm?
    It depends on you really, and the situation, if it warrants a different lens. You might not find yourself changing lens very often. The extra reach is useful for getting close without being physically closer. You probably could try just going with kit lens, since you have a low budget. It forces you to be creative and work within the limits of your kit lens, which is good for your photographic development.

Having a 18-200mm lens will help, as it gives a good range for travel without the change in lens, but you need to consider the lens quality and your budget too. I admit that having the 18-200 VR, I hardly use anything except the wide angle lens, because I am not very particular about the image quality. Look at my lousy photos on my website and you will see why....

That said, I use to shoot with just the kit lens, with my 70-300 in my bag most of the time, because I can't afford to change lens. That is my personal experience only and it differs from individual to individual.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams