Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good graphic cards for extreme games

Default Re: Good graphic cards for extreme games

Just upgraded my PC last mth with the advice of some kind souls here & HWZ, my specs for your reference & the respective price updated according to the px list I got from Bell system last week..

MB & CPU: MSI Neo2 FR + Intel C2D E8400 = $540
    Memory: Corsair DDR2-667 2x2GB = $116
    HDD: Seagate 750GB 32MB cache = $222
    GPU: Xpertvision 9600GT 512MB Sonic = $289
    DVDRW: Samsung SATA 20X = $43
    Power supply: OCZ stealth Xstream 500W = $119
    Casing: Coolermaster 534 = $79

Total of the above = $1408 (free assembly if u buy everything from Bell system)
    tot it might be a setup that can do both games and photoshop decently.. hehe

If u want the system to be more bullet proof in playing games, u may wanna swap the 9600GT sonic with a 8800GT sonic (add $80) or 9800GTX (add $210) or an ATI 3870X2 (add $350)..

Alternatively, u may wanna run 2 x 9600GT in SLI, or 2 x 8800GT in SLI.. etc
    Do note that the more GPU juice you add, you may also need to invest more in the power supply, for SLI configuration u need to look at compatible PSU e.g. Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650w ($179) or 750W ($199) etc.. the total cost of such config can easily exceed your $2k budget though..

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Just upgraded my PC last mth with the advice of some kind souls here & HWZ, my specs for your reference & the respective price updated according to the px list I got from Bell system last week..

If u want the system to be more bullet proof in playing games, u may wanna swap the 9600GT sonic with a 8800GT sonic (add $80) or 9800GTX (add $210) or an ATI 3870X2 (add $350)..

Do note that the more GPU juice you add, you may also need to invest more in the power supply, for SLI configuration u need to look at compatible PSU e.g. Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650w ($179) or 750W ($199) etc.. the total cost of such config can easily exceed your $2k budget though..
    Looks reasonable...
    If i may ask,what is PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    typo, is Q6600. and yup, fast enough. considered above average.

woah, if hardly play games............ the graphics card can save a little, and get some acessories to hype up your com, like cool looking speakers, cool casing, etc, or you can do your parents a favour and decrease your expenditure.
    I work and pay for everything myself btw
    Taking more than my monthly allowance is

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but kind sir,

i prefer a pentax k20d with sigma 10-20, tamron 18-250, pentax 10-17, 50mm and tamron 180mm macro

SO HOW

Sugar mummy?

PSU = Power supply unit.

Top of the line Graphics card runs fast and hot and draw quite a bit of power from your power supply unit. Thus if u run a top end card or more than 1 card it's better to play safe and get one that can provide enuff juices..

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Looks reasonable...
    If i may ask,what is PSU?

PSU = Power supply unit.

Top of the line Graphics card runs fast and hot and draw quite a bit of power from your power supply unit. Thus if u run a top end card or more than 1 card it's better to play safe and get one that can provide enuff juices..
    I'm going to hear "HIGHER ELECTRICITY BILLS" again

The sales person will pick the appropiate one for me?
    Is Bell a trustworthy vendor?

The electricity bills caused by PC is incomparable to the financial damage caused by Air con..

If you buy at Sim Lim Square, Bell system and Fuwell are among those shops that receive recommendations from guys in Hardware zone. They can give you sound advises in your purchases.

However, if you are looking for services after sales or even in house servicing, then you ll better off getting it from those branded PC vendors instead. But you hv not much control ovr what parts they used in the unit.

I'm going to hear "HIGHER ELECTRICITY BILLS" again

The sales person will pick the appropiate one for me?
    Is Bell a trustworthy vendor?

Sugar mummy?
    got pretty one to intro?

So what does the ram beside the graphic card means?
    what does 2 x 9600GT in SLI, or 2 x 8800GT in SLI means?
    Last edited by yamapi; 13th April 2008 at 02:08 PM.

got pretty one to intro?
    If you re yan dao enough,you can try your luck at bukit timah where those rich tai tais reside

So what does the ram beside the graphic card means?
    what does 2 x 9600GT in SLI, or 2 x 8800GT in SLI means?
    it is memory used by the graphics card for storing data(textures for example). so bigger is better esp when you are planning to get a big monitor like apple's 30inch lcd. the normal 320mb-512mb is good enough for normal ones.

sli is basically using more than one graphics card. more the merrier. so 2X means 2 graphics cards installed. but only certain motherboards support sli. for those with money to burn, can buy 4X9800G2. haha, can play all games with max settings.

btw, i think you can take kongo's list and modify yourself abit. it is a pretty decent setup.
    Last edited by satay16; 13th April 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries

let me remind the usual suspects,

ClubSNAP's Terms of Use, Rules and Regulations

1. Be Nice and Be Civilised - abusing, name-calling, personal attacks on members and/or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. Be kind to newbies as they may not know the general flow of the forums. Repeatedly violation of this rule will result in banishment.

5. Flaming / Personal Attacks - We will not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks or self-promoting messages. Please refer to Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63921
    for the full Terms of Use

If you re yan dao enough,you can try your luck at bukit timah where those rich tai tais reside
    wa lau, you want me to be male streetwalker huh

sit around and wait for rich tai tai to pick me up

ok i help you

this computer got a lot of good games

happiness park, the no 1 selling hardcore graphics game right now!

wa lau, you want me to be male streetwalker huh

sit around and wait for rich tai tai to pick me up

ok i help you

this computer got a lot of good games

happiness park, the no 1 selling hardcore graphics game right now!
    Hey gramp!
    different market altogether!

Hey gramp!
    different market altogether!
    but with happiness park, you will attract a lot of xmm

they might even be rich xmms!
    Last edited by night86mare; 13th April 2008 at 04:50 PM.

but with happiness park, you will attract a lot of xmm

they might even be rich xmms!
    but kind sir,

i prefer a pentax k20d with sigma 10-20, tamron 18-250, pentax 10-17, 50mm and tamron 180mm macro

SO HOW
    I believe u need it more than me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123