Thread: A head for monopod and why?

Default A head for monopod and why?

While still in the midst of looking for a monopod, I would love to gather some feedback from exisiting monopod CS users regarding the type of head they place on their monopod
    (panhead/ballhead/no head!) and how well it performed for your shooting experience (or the lack of it)

Many thx!

Ryan

Default Re: A head for monopod and why?

For sports, you dont really need a head for the monopod but you might consider manfrotto 234rc. it is a tilt top head for monopd usage. Most of my sports customer i recommend get a monopod and a quick release plate adapter for it. 357 or 557.

I attach a small video head to my monopod.

I just need the tilting movement in the head and no other movements. That is if your lens got a tripod collar.

A ballhead is a definite no-no for me - it simply would wobble all over.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 12th April 2008 at 10:07 PM.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Thanks for the feedback smallaperture and eugenep. I understand that there are fellow users who do not use a head at all.

For ballhead monopod users, do you find that the added motion of the ball head while adjusting on top of the inherent instability of the monopod difficult ?

Would also like to get some views about monopod heads (or lack thereof) for general shooting / events.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Used my monopod with ballhead extensively recently during the recent Singapore Fashion Festival shows as it requires long period of portrait shooting and I do not have a vertical grip for my KM5D camera. The combined weight of the camera, 70-300mm lens and flash is quite straining on my wrist till I used the ballhead/monopod combination. Basically locked the camera at the portrait position and my right arm can actually rest on the camera, supported by the monopod, to press the shuttle button without the need to raise my elbow so no worries about it blocking the photographers behind. Quite a useful setup in my opinion.
    Last edited by cairocks; 13th April 2008 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    While still in the midst of looking for a monopod, I would love to gather some feedback from exisiting monopod CS users regarding the type of head they place on their monopod
    (panhead/ballhead/no head!) and how well it performed for your shooting experience (or the lack of it)

Many thx!

Ryan
    Pan AND Tilt Head - generally slow and cumbersome to use. Generally, one of the most precise heads around for very attractive prices.

Ballhead - Generally one of the fastest heads to use. Unless you're looking at Swiss made ball heads above $400 or $500, stability, ease of use and reliability can be questionable.

No Head - assuming got thread to mount camera, no head is the cheapest and fastest to use, but offers no amount of control or adjustments. Re-orientation from landscape to portrait and vice versa can usually be done by a rotating tripod collar.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th April 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Thx for the various inputs and suggestions once again.

If i were to get a ballhead , i will get a better make.

While i have been pampered by the ease of movement my Markins ballhead on my tripod, what smallaperture mentioned from his experience struck a cord in me - the lack of precise plane motion control of the ballhead might end up as a barrier on a monopod. After all, rotation can be performed by rotating the monopod about its pivot ?

Ryan