Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

  1. #1

    Default Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Hi sorry for the long post, I would just like some opinions on my problem encountered.

    I purchased a Fujitsu notebook from a retailer last year around Feb 07. Recently during the last week the Wireless Card that came with the notebook couldn't detect any wireless signals anywhere. Suspecting that the wireless card had a problem, I proceeded to bring my notebook back to the vendor for servicing.

    The warranty that I had, stated that there would be a 1 year warranty on labour and a 3 year warranty on parts. Needless to say, as we were already in April 08, the warranty on labour already expired. When I reached the service centre, the customer service officer did explain to me that there could be a labour charge to be imposed, and in this case was a $80(w/o GST) service charge for just checking if there was a problem with my notebook. I immediately rejected this. For the $80 charged, I could easily buy an external replacement for the WLAN card.

    From my own diagnostics it was apparent to me that it was definitely a hardware failure on the wireless card. (How I know this? this is because I had a spare WLAN card and plugging it in showed me that it was working. That meant that it was not a software problem but a hardware failure). After remonstrating with the customer service officer, she finally agreed that they do a basic diagnostic test to see if my problem was valid without any charges imposed. So I left my notebook with them for 2 hours so that they could perform their checks.

    2 hours later a technician from the service centre called to inform me that he has verified that it is not a software problem but he couldn't determine exactly hardware problem was and he needed to strip the notebook down to find the problem. For that, a labour cost was chargeable. Again I disputed this and told them that if the hardware was faulty then they should just replace the faulty part, since there was still a parts warranty, I should not be charged for labour. Alternatively, they could just give me the faulty part so that the replacement can be done by myself if they are unwilling to do the replacement without charges for me. They refused both options.

    I am posting this here because I am appalled by this incident because:
    One, can labour charges be separate from parts charges? If it can't be separated then why offer these 2 items separately. This seems unfair to me. For all you know, the vendor could easily an exorbitant sum for labour charges.
    Two, if there is still a warranty for parts, and I know that a part is faulty; I can't exchange the faulty part without incurring a cost? That seems unfair to me.

    I would rather they just tell me upfront that the warranty for both parts and labour are for 1 year only. At least I wouldn't be misled into believing that I could claim the warranty on the faulty part without incurring additional charges.

    Has anyone encountered this problem before?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    do you know how to replace the part? for notebook, it's not like plug and play. There might be desoldering and soldering involved. After replacing the parts, I guess they need to do more test to make sure no other issue. This is where the labour charges come in.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    While I have not encountered such things, from the way I see it, it seems as though they are just hard up for your money, finding any and every excuse to charge what they term as "labour costs"...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Happens everywhere lah.
    Once I send a shaver for replacing the rechargable battery and was told there are additional cost as he needs to replace some internal parts (costing more than the battery itself). I say it was working totally fine and only battery not holding the charge so I don't mind even if I have the battery and replace it myself or just replace the battery without other repair. You know what ??. Technician could not explain and insist that if I don't change the parts they cannot change the battery ????.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    I once repaired a malfunctioned door of a video camera and has to replace the video head of the video camera because amazingly it is attached with a circuit to the video head.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I once repaired a malfunctioned door of a video camera and has to replace the video head of the video camera because amazingly it is attached with a circuit to the video head.
    and your point is?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by Elixirx View Post
    Hi sorry for the long post, I would just like some opinions on my problem encountered.

    I purchased a Fujitsu notebook from a retailer last year around Feb 07. Recently during the last week the Wireless Card that came with the notebook couldn't detect any wireless signals anywhere. Suspecting that the wireless card had a problem, I proceeded to bring my notebook back to the vendor for servicing.

    The warranty that I had, stated that there would be a 1 year warranty on labour and a 3 year warranty on parts. Needless to say, as we were already in April 08, the warranty on labour already expired. When I reached the service centre, the customer service officer did explain to me that there could be a labour charge to be imposed, and in this case was a $80(w/o GST) service charge for just checking if there was a problem with my notebook. I immediately rejected this. For the $80 charged, I could easily buy an external replacement for the WLAN card.

    From my own diagnostics it was apparent to me that it was definitely a hardware failure on the wireless card. (How I know this? this is because I had a spare WLAN card and plugging it in showed me that it was working. That meant that it was not a software problem but a hardware failure). After remonstrating with the customer service officer, she finally agreed that they do a basic diagnostic test to see if my problem was valid without any charges imposed. So I left my notebook with them for 2 hours so that they could perform their checks.

    2 hours later a technician from the service centre called to inform me that he has verified that it is not a software problem but he couldn't determine exactly hardware problem was and he needed to strip the notebook down to find the problem. For that, a labour cost was chargeable. Again I disputed this and told them that if the hardware was faulty then they should just replace the faulty part, since there was still a parts warranty, I should not be charged for labour. Alternatively, they could just give me the faulty part so that the replacement can be done by myself if they are unwilling to do the replacement without charges for me. They refused both options.

    I am posting this here because I am appalled by this incident because:
    One, can labour charges be separate from parts charges? If it can't be separated then why offer these 2 items separately. This seems unfair to me. For all you know, the vendor could easily an exorbitant sum for labour charges.
    Two, if there is still a warranty for parts, and I know that a part is faulty; I can't exchange the faulty part without incurring a cost? That seems unfair to me.

    I would rather they just tell me upfront that the warranty for both parts and labour are for 1 year only. At least I wouldn't be misled into believing that I could claim the warranty on the faulty part without incurring additional charges.

    Has anyone encountered this problem before?
    Actually if the techinician just replaced the wireless card, you will also be charged for labour.

    Anyway, labour charges and part charges cannot be separated. It is the tool they use to extort money from you. That is why I did not buy the fujitsu notebook from the last IT fair, due to the warranty issue.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Actually it is not really unfair for them to charge you labour cost for replacing the part only as they are doing it for you. It is just that they don't charge you the part being replaced.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    and your point is?
    I believe he is trying to explain that there may have other parts that stick with it though the problem looks direct and simple.
    Jack of all trade, but to a master of none... The RSAF...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    the additional 2 yr part is actually better than ntg, most other brands provide only 1yr support.
    imagine ur mobo fried, after 1st yr, u are still covered for tat part, unlike other brand u mite need to fork out more than 1k or change a new laptop.

    i was a promoter for fujitsu b4 n i told all my prev cust clearly 1st yr parts n labour, 2nd n 3rd yr parts only.
    the prob here lies on u n the promoter tat served u, he/she did nt told u abt it, n u did nt read the term n condition of the warranty b4 getting the laptop, it isnt the technician or fujitsu fault.

    and they wun allow u to change the parts urself as opening the laptop will usually void the warranty.
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  11. #11

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    the additional 2 yr part is actually better than ntg, most other brands provide only 1yr support.
    imagine ur mobo fried, after 1st yr, u are still covered for tat part, unlike other brand u mite need to fork out more than 1k or change a new laptop.

    i was a promoter for fujitsu b4 n i told all my prev cust clearly 1st yr parts n labour, 2nd n 3rd yr parts only.
    the prob here lies on u n the promoter tat served u, he/she did nt told u abt it, n u did nt read the term n condition of the warranty b4 getting the laptop, it isnt the technician or fujitsu fault.

    and they wun allow u to change the parts urself as opening the laptop will usually void the warranty.
    Quite true, actually the '1 year parts and labour, 2nd and 3rd year parts only' is printed quite obviously on the brocedure.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    I am not disputing the fact that the labour warranty has expired! I am just asking why should a diagnostic check on the faulty part be billed to me? If a basic check confirms that the part is spolit, just give me a replacement for that part!

    I am not adverse to the fact that opening up and replacing the spoilt part will void my warranty. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron myself. If Fujitsu does not want to replace the faulty part without a charge, then they can honour their guarentee and jolly well just give me the spoilt part.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by Elixirx View Post
    I am not disputing the fact that the labour warranty has expired! I am just asking why should a diagnostic check on the faulty part be billed to me? If a basic check confirms that the part is spolit, just give me a replacement for that part!

    I am not adverse to the fact that opening up and replacing the spoilt part will void my warranty. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron myself. If Fujitsu does not want to replace the faulty part without a charge, then they can honour their guarentee and jolly well just give me the spoilt part.
    It is not fair or what not. The contract said parts and labor for 12 months. A diagnostic is labor. No? It's it fair? Well, as consumer, I also do not want to pay for the diagnostic. However, a contract is a contract.

    That is why, before Lenovo boght IBM's computing business, I swore by IBM Thinkpad. Their service policy and warranty are the most customer friendly. Too bad, not so now.

    By the way, they cannot just give you a replacement for the faulty part. If you DIY it yourself, you will void all warranties. Also, they do have to be sure the part is faulty, because they will make a claim against the OEM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  14. #14

    Default Re: Warranty that feels that seems unfair

    Quote Originally Posted by Elixirx View Post
    I am not disputing the fact that the labour warranty has expired! I am just asking why should a diagnostic check on the faulty part be billed to me? If a basic check confirms that the part is spolit, just give me a replacement for that part!

    I am not adverse to the fact that opening up and replacing the spoilt part will void my warranty. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron myself. If Fujitsu does not want to replace the faulty part without a charge, then they can honour their guarentee and jolly well just give me the spoilt part.
    the technician cannot assume that the fault lies with a certain part just because a customer says it is so. he can take your feedback into consideration but he will still need to perform his own diagnostic steps. sometimes the problem may look obvious but there are times the root of the problem lies in a different area.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •