Thread: When will film-based photography die?

Nescafe
    Guests

Default When will film-based photography die?

Accordingly to The Digital Journalist, it is Jan 12, 2004

read on...

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue03...sandbolts.html

so what happens on that date ???

my film camera and film turns to dust ???

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
    so what happens on that date ???

my film camera and film turns to dust ???
    nope. they stop selling and developing film. so better stock up on films, developer solution and enlargers... they got antique value.

Err. Yesterday?

Originally posted by Jed
    Err. Yesterday?
    0n 2nd tot, maybe on next seed?

Default Re: When will film-based photography die?

Originally posted by Nescafe
    Accordingly to The Digital Journalist, it is Jan 12, 2004

read on...

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue03...sandbolts.html
    Not in near future. The fact that drawing and painting doesn't disappears after Black and White Film appear, and neither do Black and white film disappear when Color Slides appear. What we observed is that the media(eg. B&W) is here to stay although you can only get your flim developed at limited places(eg. Ruby). I believe that it will happen to Negatives too. This doesn't means that film have died. Instead, We can say that it get less popular among the public.

Sad to say but indeed it's the beginning of the end for film. In future, it will cost more to process film than to develop digital prints.

Film will never die...it will still hang around...like b&w. Photography has become too easy for people to pick up, just buy a digital and shoot....there will still be people out there who will strongly insist on film, maybe to them it would be "higher level" since almost anybody can shoot with digital.

For me i embrace both.....digital for me coz long run its cheaper for me, film becoz it represents a whole different level from digital...got the "feeling"....if u know what i mean.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Well it could be Jan12 2004, Jan 20, 2040, who cares! As far as I'm concerned, digital will not replace film until it is as good as film, in terms of image quality in large prints. Digi should replace 35mm soon, maybe in the next 2-3 years. It will take some time to be as good as medium format, maybe 3-5 years, and large format in 5-10 years. But digi may NEVER replace any of these analog formats in certain applications. Digital (DSLR) is definitely the way to go, but not yet for me.

But I concur with jasonpgc in that it will eventually become more and more difficult to buy and process film, but I don't see that coming in the next 2-3 years though, when smaller labs here will not stock up film and also abandon their chemical equipment.

When will film-based photography die? Like Buzz Lightyear said in Toy Story, "Not Today!"

Originally posted by Larry
    nope. they stop selling and developing film. so better stock up on films, developer solution and enlargers... they got antique value.
    thats it... when I get home I am going to empty all the food out of my fridge and completely stock it with film ....

Nescafe
    Guests

Actually, the content of this link basically says FILMS WOULD NEVER DIE!!

Read and judge for yourselves. (and don't clear yr fridge as yet )

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0...tsandbolts.html

Originally posted by Nescafe
    Actually, the content of this link basically says FILMS WOULD NEVER DIE!!
    You mean these points?
    While I've seen excellent results from these smaller cameras on the printed page, they don't even approach what a tiny piece of film can do with a 16x20 or larger print - even when that film is black-and-white and exposed at EI 1600. Come to think of it, many of the "professional" digital cameras can't compete in that world.
    There are a lot of other areas where the old fashioned "analog" technology is still important. I can't see the nature photographer who uses 8x10 or some large format panoramic toting around long extension chords for a digital back that demands a power supply (as does the large screen monitor). But I sure can see a product photographer shooting a larger digital camera.
    Anyway, for those in microbiology researchers submitting their papers. Digital photos are NOT accepted. Only those taken with a film camera with microscopes are allowed.