Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

  1. #1

    Default Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Hi i am new to lense and would like to know the meaning of those short term like EFs EFIS and why some so small mm and some high mm

    what i know is higher mm like 200mm is a zoom lense and some can go as little as 8mm? marco? or wide angel??

    i am totally blur abt lense short cut. I also need to know how to see which lens come with IS and which is wide angel and which is marco.

    so any kind ppl out there can explain all the terms? and also the mm , or F-stop.

    smaller number of F stop gets bigger opening and higher number of F stop get smaller opening? correct me if i m wrong thanks~


  2. #2

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q


  3. #3
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    Hi i am new to lense and would like to know the meaning of those short term like EFs EFIS and why some so small mm and some high mm

    what i know is higher mm like 200mm is a zoom lense and some can go as little as 8mm? marco? or wide angel??

    i am totally blur abt lense short cut. I also need to know how to see which lens come with IS and which is wide angel and which is marco.

    so any kind ppl out there can explain all the terms? and also the mm , or F-stop.

    smaller number of F stop gets bigger opening and higher number of F stop get smaller opening? correct me if i m wrong thanks~

    You're right about aperture (the f number). Your definition of zoom and macro is wrong.

    EF = electro focus. EF lenses fit all Canon cameras made in the last 20 years or so.
    EF-S = electro focus, short back focus. Fits only 20D, 30D, 40D and Digital Rebels (xxxD).

    In case that is not clear, a 400D can use both EF and EF-S lenses.

    If the lens says "IS" it comes with IS.

    The "mm" refers to focal length. Large number means see far (telephoto), small number means see wide. For APS-C (i.e. not full frame) cameras, wide = 17mm or smaller, telephoto = 75mm or more. Zoom means you can change the focal length. Prime means you cannot. Macro means you can focus really close, so that (in non full frame camera) a 16mm x 24mm area will fill the entire frame of your photo. That is referred to as "1x magnification". Some zoom lenses claim to be macro but do not offer 1x magnification.

    Another number you'll see often is the mm given as "35mm equivalent". That's actually the field of view. For example, if you put a 50mm lens on a 400D, the viewfinder image is like putting a 85mm lens on a 5D.

    Lots of terms to learn, highly recommend picking up a good book on the topic.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    You're right about aperture (the f number). Your definition of zoom and macro is wrong.

    EF = electro focus. EF lenses fit all Canon cameras made in the last 20 years or so.
    EF-S = electro focus, short back focus. Fits only 20D, 30D, 40D and Digital Rebels (xxxD).

    In case that is not clear, a 400D can use both EF and EF-S lenses.

    If the lens says "IS" it comes with IS.

    The "mm" refers to focal length. Large number means see far (telephoto), small number means see wide. For APS-C (i.e. not full frame) cameras, wide = 17mm or smaller, telephoto = 75mm or more. Zoom means you can change the focal length. Prime means you cannot. Macro means you can focus really close, so that (in non full frame camera) a 16mm x 24mm area will fill the entire frame of your photo. That is referred to as "1x magnification". Some zoom lenses claim to be macro but do not offer 1x magnification.

    Another number you'll see often is the mm given as "35mm equivalent". That's actually the field of view. For example, if you put a 50mm lens on a 400D, the viewfinder image is like putting a 85mm lens on a 5D.

    Lots of terms to learn, highly recommend picking up a good book on the topic.
    Hi thanks for letting me understand but 1 more thing what is the APS-C means? and i see on lens theres ratio 1:1 or something whats that? any book to recommend so i can go library to look at it? thanks once again!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    Hi thanks for letting me understand but 1 more thing what is the APS-C means? and i see on lens theres ratio 1:1 or something whats that? any book to recommend so i can go library to look at it? thanks once again!
    Full Frame = 35mm sensor size (same as film).
    APS-H = 1.3x factor. Which means a 35mm lens will have a 35 x 1.3 = 45.5mm field of view.
    APS-C - 1.6x factor. So a 35mm lens will have a 35 x 1.6 = 56mm field of view.

    All these are 35mm equivalent. So the more crop factor, the less wide it is.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    hi thanks! so 17mm and below is wide angel? and how about L lense whats that?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by redavalon2359 View Post
    Have a look. Almost all your questions are answered there. ;-)

    CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th April 2008 at 02:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    Hi thanks for letting me understand but 1 more thing what is the APS-C means? and i see on lens theres ratio 1:1 or something whats that? any book to recommend so i can go library to look at it? thanks once again!
    In digital SLRs, sensors come in a variety of sizes. Snoweagle already list down the most common. There's also a Four-Thirds system with an even smaller sensor than APS-C.

    With APS-C you're talking about a crop factor of 1.5 to 1.6 (also known inaccurately as focal length multiplier). So if you put a 17mm lens on a APS-C sensor camera (like a 400D), it looks like a 28mm lens on a full frame sensor camera (like a 5D).

    17 - 18mm is wide angle for APS-C. 24 - 28mm is wide angle on full frame.

    The L designation refers to Canon's line of professional lenses. They typically offer better contrast, faster speed (meaning larger aperture), sharper optics, weather sealing, faster auto focus, full time manual focus (can MF without having to move the AF/MF switch to MF first), constant aperture across zoom range, etc. Not all L lenses have all the features. One thing they all have in common is : causes envy from Canon photographers who don't have them, and seriously depletes your bank account.

    The ratio (1:1, 1:2) refers to the magnification of a lens. A true macro (or micro, as Nikon calls it) lens is 1:1. It is also referred to as 1x. 1:2 is 0.5x. With 1x magnification, the subject can be focused close enough to appear as life size on the sensor (note, not in print, not on screen, rear LCD, etc, but on the sensor).

    A book that explains the hardware side of things that I've come across is Mastering Digital SLR Photography by David Busch. Don't be misled, you'll master nothing after reading the book. But it gives a very good introduction to the hardware side of things.

    A good basic book on taking photos is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Mastering Digital SLR photography is a good book for generic understanding.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    hi thanks! so 17mm and below is wide angel? and how about L lense whats that?
    Any lens which is below 35mm (35mm equivalent) is wide-angle. 17mm will be considered ultra-wide angle at 35mm equivalent.

    L lens (or Luxury lens) is typically a pro-series lens which are signified by the famous red ring on the lens itself. These lenses are known for their high quality contrast pics with additional elements such as UD, super UD and fluorite which are not existant in non-L lenses. Becos of these, they are available at premium prices.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Any lens which is below 35mm (35mm equivalent) is wide-angle. 17mm will be considered ultra-wide angle at 35mm equivalent.

    L lens (or Luxury lens) is typically a pro-series lens which are signified by the famous red ring on the lens itself. These lenses are known for their high quality contrast pics with additional elements such as UD, super UD and fluorite which are not existant in non-L lenses. Becos of these, they are available at premium prices.
    You forgot to mention it's for CANON only.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    You forgot to mention it's for CANON only.
    L lenses are Canon only mah, it's understood.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    L lenses are Canon only mah, it's understood.
    Not by newbies....

    After all, if he goes with Sony, then it's the G series, etc etc...
    Alpha

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not by newbies....

    After all, if he goes with Sony, then it's the G series, etc etc...
    But by his first sentence, it's already talking abt Canon.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    But by his first sentence, it's already talking abt Canon.
    Or words he read in a brochure. Too many variables.
    Alpha

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Or words he read in a brochure. Too many variables.
    But it's all right, i just go according to his queries.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    wow thanks guys bet this helps some of us newbies so now i know ahaha! finally anyway anyone of you buy lens at mustafa centre? their EF-s IS 55mm - 250mm cost 449 and EF-s IS 75mm - 300mm cost 449 also.. sounds reasonable

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    wow thanks guys bet this helps some of us newbies so now i know ahaha! finally anyway anyone of you buy lens at mustafa centre? their EF-s IS 55mm - 250mm cost 449 and EF-s IS 75mm - 300mm cost 449 also.. sounds reasonable
    I always get my lenses from Peninsula/Funan area.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  19. #19
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Whats short term of lense? newbie Q

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    wow thanks guys bet this helps some of us newbies so now i know ahaha! finally anyway anyone of you buy lens at mustafa centre? their EF-s IS 55mm - 250mm cost 449 and EF-s IS 75mm - 300mm cost 449 also.. sounds reasonable
    Check the Canon lens price guide thread. I did, and paid much less than $449 for the 55-250mm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •