Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pls advise on this Computer Spec.

Default Pls advise on this Computer Spec.

I am considering getting a dell computer thus need advice whether the following specs is value for money or advisable to get.

<DELL DIMENSION 4600 DESKTOP>

- Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.26GHz.
    - 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM at 333MHz
    - 40 gig HDD
    - 48x CD ROM
    - 16MB ATI RAGE ULTRA 4X AGP GRAPHICS CARD
    - Integrated 5.1 Channel(Audio) Capable
    - 17" Monitor
    - Integrated intel 10/100 Ethernet
    - Norton anti virus
    - WIN XP Home Edition

All for $1199(Excluding freight, etc)

Main use:
    - Programming
    - Photo editing(post processing for my digital images)
    - web design or flash?
    - web surfing

I am not really into gaming.

Welcome any input. Tks.

16mb grpahics card might not be good enough
    i would suggest u go for DIY
    u can choose wat specs u want
    like a more powerful graphics card & more RAM
    but one advise is no point getting the "cheapest"
    get a mid level one like around the 1500 region
    if u want lobangs for DIY can pm me

Originally posted by gabriel06
    16mb for programming, photo editing and web surfing is quite sufficient. unless you go for 3d rendering, animation and stuff like that...

i agree with going for DIY though. you have the flexibility of getting what you want, and at any point of time you can do any upgrades. try doing that yourself with a dell computer and you end up with a void warranty

dun buy prefab computers. best to DIY.

regards
    my flickr account

Hi Gabriel,

You work in sls?? Which shop??
    Cos might be helping my friend to set up her pc..
    Thanks.
    Zapline

I definitely recommend more RAM if intend to use programs like Photoshop a lot.

A CD burner is also a worthwhile addition.

The RAGE ULTRA is a pretty pathetic 3D card but I guess it's adequate if you do no need any decent 3D capabilities.

Originally posted by renaissance_myth
    dun buy prefab computers. best to DIY.

regards
    Not really true. Though you can get a better configuration for the same amount of money, here are certain points to take note of:

1. Windows License - Cost $$$. Many DIYers fail to take into acct this cost cos some of them use...er...friendly versions :O
    2. Support - Sometimes is better to get to someone else to crack their head instead of you having to bang your head when things goes haywire and not to mention the time needed to send the part for RMA and sometimes you dun get the item back on the same day.
    3. Stability - Usually those co have R&D dept to ensure the configuations (Not all co though) are stable. I have heard of stories where DIYers suffered from hardware/software/drivers incompatibility and stability issues.

Unless one is really knowledgeable about computers parts, I would not recommend DIYing. I dun work for any of the prefab companies but just wana share my point of view in this DIY thingy My PC is DIYed though... Hee hee
    Last edited by Newbie123; 15th June 2003 at 12:35 PM.

simpleguy
    Guests

yup, definitely more RAM !
    256MB is barely enuff to run Win XP, and if u intend to do some serious work in Photoshop u would want to have more RAM. I have 1 Gig RAM on my pc and at times i still wish i had more

Firstly, are you computer savvy? If not, do you have friends who are able to help you with your system should you have some problems? If the answer is No, then go for the Dell option. Top up RAM and consider a CD-RW, maybe a better graphics card too?

Otherwise, consider getting someone to build a system for you. Price wise is almost the same, but the difference is there is no support.

Once you know if which category you fall under, it will be easier for people to recommend what is the best option.

I would agree with what Newbie123 has said.

For this setup, the RAM is greatly inadequate for photoshop work, you would want 512MB or 1GB to be able to work comfortably with large film scans or files larger than 6MP.

However, do note that while the Basic Dell configurations are value for money, the moment you start altering their base configurations, the price increase does not tally with the actual market rate for the component change.

Check out the HWZ pricelist for what an extra 256 or 768MB of PC2700 ram would cost and see if it tallies with what Dell charges when you add that in. You'd be surprised.

Tks for all the replies. Keep them coming. The main reason why I am considering a Dell computer cos I got a bad experiece with DIY computer(the one I am using now). The computer sometimes hangs for no reason esp. during net surfing or using CDRW. I am suspecting it is a Power supply problem but can't be sure. I agree with newbie123 that instead of cracking my head over such problems, I would prefer a gd technical support. I am not familiar with all these hardware aspects of the computer(though i am majoring in computer science. ) Of course, if there is any good DIY shop that gives great service, I would seriously consider as well. My current vendor for my computer is always unreachable.

Based on your usage, just top up more RAM and bigger harddisk.
    You will probably want to get a CD-RW as photo files tends to eat up your harddisk space.

If you are not too tech saavy or do not have helpful friends who are, than the DELL is a good buy coz their tech support is quite responsive.

DIY with better parts would actually cost more.

I used to build my own system, then I got lazy and bought a Dell. The good thing is that you can buy RAM from SLS and add on to the Dell system without voiding the warrenty. You can change your own video card, and add your own CD-RW. That's what I did. Best of all, you have an original OS and 3 year support. Price like I mentioned is about there, but hey, it's a whole lot simpler and less stressful!

Originally posted by Falcon
    The computer sometimes hangs for no reason esp. during net surfing or using CDRW. I am suspecting it is a Power supply problem but can't be sure. I agree with newbie123 that instead of cracking my head over such problems, I would prefer a gd technical support. I am not familiar with all these hardware aspects of the computer(though i am majoring in computer science. ) Of course, if there is any good DIY shop that gives great service, I would seriously consider as well. My current vendor for my computer is always unreachable.
    The main reason with DIY from a shop is that they do not usually undergo rigorous testing. Thus, you will not know the failure rate. Usually when you DIY, the power supply they give is an el cheapo version and if you want a good one, it will actually cost you more.

Suppliers (harddisk, graphics cards) to vendors like DELL also has different batches supplied and pass more stringent test (what my friends in harddisk and vendors tell me) then the OEMs one you can get at a lower price.

Having said that, there are of course still the occasional piece of hardware that still fails and you can get a one-to-one exchange so long as its within the warranty period.

how about an emac? about 1.4k
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by munfai
    16mb for programming, photo editing and web surfing is quite sufficient. unless you go for 3d rendering, animation and stuff like that...

i agree with going for DIY though. you have the flexibility of getting what you want, and at any point of time you can do any upgrades. try doing that yourself with a dell computer and you end up with a void warranty
    but wat he said wat flash & other animations
    so 16mb is not enough i feel
    any the graphics card provided is really sucky
    geforce is the way to go
    by the way i'm using a cheapo dell com !
    with a 4mb grpahics card

Originally posted by Falcon
    Tks for all the replies. Keep them coming. The main reason why I am considering a Dell computer cos I got a bad experiece with DIY computer(the one I am using now). The computer sometimes hangs for no reason esp. during net surfing or using CDRW. I am suspecting it is a Power supply problem but can't be sure. I agree with newbie123 that instead of cracking my head over such problems, I would prefer a gd technical support. I am not familiar with all these hardware aspects of the computer(though i am majoring in computer science. ) Of course, if there is any good DIY shop that gives great service, I would seriously consider as well. My current vendor for my computer is always unreachable.
    but i somehow regret getting my dell
    but it was my dad's money so as long i have a com, its good enuff
    but the hang problem might most prob be a ram or hardisk problem
    if either one is faulty & under warranty u could send it back
    most prob is not the power supply

but wat he said wat flash & other animations
    so 16mb is not enough i feel
    any the graphics card provided is really sucky
    geforce is the way to go
    by the way i'm using a cheapo dell com !
    with a 4mb grpahics card
    Flash is mainly CPU intensive. The only thing that concerns the graphics card is the 2D drawing/rescaling speed and for that the Rage series should still be adequate.

The amount of graphics card memory on a 2D desktop is only used to determine the maximum display resolution and colour depth. It doesn't determine its speed.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Flash is mainly CPU intensive. The only thing that concerns the graphics card is the 2D drawing/rescaling speed and for that the Rage series should still be adequate.

The amount of graphics card memory on a 2D desktop is only used to determine the maximum display resolution and colour depth. It doesn't determine its speed.
    ofcos anyone can do flash and other animations on a 4mb graphic cards
    nothing wrong or neither is it impossible
    but its all a matter of smoothness

ofcos anyone can do flash and other animations on a 4mb graphic cards
    nothing wrong or neither is it impossible
    but its all a matter of smoothness
    like Zerstoner said, flash is mainly cpu intensive. meaning to say that even if you graphics card is the latest Radeon 9800 but your cpu is a lowly tortoise, the animation will still be jerky. the 3d capabilities of a graphics card are not utilised by flash at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast