Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange that no one here talks about GretagMacbeth ColorChecker®

Originally posted by mpenza
    I guess in this case it is very sad. Quality and professionalism loses to equipment wankery.

Just kidding. Glad to see all the repetitively condescending talk stopped.

Originally posted by mpenza
    I guess in this case it is very sad. Quality and professionalism loses to equipment wankery.

Just kidding. Glad to see all the repetitively condescending talk stopped.
    My calibrator is on the way. Calibrated or not with Adobe Gamma, I suspect my CRT is due replacement (2.5 years). I can't see a difference until the third or fourth square (both ends) in the DPReview baseline gray spectrum. If I can't see it even after using the device, I would have to get a new one...

I was not condescending, that is why I didn't bother to reply you. I just want to know and the silence was deafening. Spend lots of $$$ on lenses, produce sharp, wonderful images but when printed, looks like a puddle of mud, tell me, is that not poor quality? If the images are to be sold, or that money was given when you were asked to take photos and that is the quality, is that not loss of professionalism?

Professionalism => taken money. If it is just for yourself, friends,etc without money, it is another issue.
    Last edited by Watcher; 17th June 2003 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Gretag Macbeth ColorCheck DC / FleshChecker

Originally posted by chris_k
    ... unless you shoot very color specifc items (i.e corporate colors, catalogue, some color itensive fashion products, products with spot colors / pantone colors), a colorchecker serves mainly to provide mid color calibration reference point for design / ad agencies, on top of your profile.

I utilize one with every digital shoot, even not-color specifc ones as it's been a regular cycle in my workflow. (Subconsiously become common proactice). Don't forget that you need to change it every 10 - 15mth due to exposure to the environment. For non-commercial uses, is this money well spent?

Before you get one, ask yourself if you really need spot-on colors for birds, insects, general scenery shots or even skin tones? or is it something "cool" that you've seen another photographer using. Is it a good return of investment?

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. This is EXACTLY the answer I'm searching for. For myself, I would want to try out how the pros do it for my own knowledge and want to know why things are done the way it is done. For S$150, for 1-1.5 years, for myself, I think it is worth the learning experience, not that I would turn pro (I don't think I have the energy left at the end of the day to do justice to the art.)

For myself, if I'm going to spend money on a photoshoot after engaging a professional model, I would want to try learn to shoot like a pro too. The prices is around $70 per shoot so a little more on proper equipment is alright to me.

Originally posted by Watcher
    I was not condescending, that is why I didn't bother to reply you. I just want to know and the silence was deafening. Spend lots of $$$ on lenses, produce sharp, wonderful images but when printed, looks like a puddle of mud, tell me, is that not poor quality? If the images are to be sold, or that money was given when you were asked to take photos and that is the quality, is that not loss of professionalism?

Professionalism => taken money. If it is just for yourself, friends,etc without money, it is another issue.
    Perhaps not condescending but irritating nonetheless with the tone of your words. Ask someone to read your own posts and see if they disagree.

I don't think Adobe Gamma tunes monitors well (or at least from my own experience).
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Hmmm, can reveal? Also, the Eye-One Display street price is US$240 before tax (4% GST), shipping (around US$48 with FedEx), etc. As for the quality, yes, many has said that it is better than the Spyder. Check it out at Rob Galbraith's forum and DPReview. The Eye-One Display does CRT + LCD as well. I've not compared the feature of the Display vs Optical rather than Photocal...
    where can I get this item in the US? I would like to get it for $240.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Java_Guru
    where can I get this item in the US? I would like to get it for $240.
    http://www.i1color.com/products/buy_i1.asp

A list of online places that sell the Eye One calibrator.

Originally posted by Darren
    http://www.i1color.com/products/buy_i1.asp

A list of online places that sell the Eye One calibrator.
    I saw the Eye-one Photo which I really liked until I saw the price and fainted. sigh.

Eye-one Display looks affordable. Any user/feedback on this device esp vs the spyder?

Originally posted by Java_Guru
    I saw the Eye-one Photo which I really liked until I saw the price and fainted. sigh.

Eye-one Display looks affordable. Any user/feedback on this device esp vs the spyder?
    I got mine at www.colormall.com, together with the ColorChecker.

If you search on the forums at DPReview and at Rob Galbraith's website, many liked it better than the Spyder, which had received complaints about the QC and the software. If you noticed, even in CP, the price of a Photocal that does CRT+LCD is already S$420. The licenses of the Eye-One display permit you to install it on as many machines as you own.

Once I get it and try it out, I will feed back.

I also liked the Eye-One Photo, (but not the price ).
    Last edited by Watcher; 18th June 2003 at 12:55 PM.

That's the main reason why the silence was deafening. The majority of clubsnappers are merely hobbyists. Pros hardly and rarely post, they would be busy with their shoots.

Anyway, most people are getting very good prints with cheap digicams and even without any form of formal calibration, certainly not "a puddle of mud" as described.

If it were really that bad, you would see plenty of "Help! My prints look like S**t!" Posts all over the forum.

hmm...i'm interested to get the Eye-One bundle. CP sells onli the Eye-One display at $560? or does it come with the pro-bundle including the spectraphotometer and the bundles of various softwares? any1 knows how much that costs?
    Believe it. And it will be so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12