Thread: Recommendations for Macro Lens and Filters?

Default Recommendations for Macro Lens and Filters?

Helloo...!

I'm pretty new in the area of DSLR photography. Currently holding Nikon D60 with 'Nikkor 18-55 mm' and 'AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED'. I love taking macro shots of flora especially plus landscape shots and I'm aware of the in-built macro function.

I'm wondering if the 'AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED' telephoto lens is alright for macro shooting? Or if I want to purchase a macro lens, which type/model should I get? Any idea on the price range too?

Also, are there any must-haves' filters for beginners?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Recommendations for Macro Lens and Filters?

Quote Originally Posted by luvgreenery View Post
    Helloo...!

I'm pretty new in the area of DSLR photography. Currently holding Nikon D60 with 'Nikkor 18-55 mm' and 'AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED'. I love taking macro shots of flora especially plus landscape shots and I'm aware of the in-built macro function.

I'm wondering if the 'AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED' telephoto lens is alright for macro shooting? Or if I want to purchase a macro lens, which type/model should I get? Any idea on the price range too?

Also, are there any must-haves' filters for beginners?

Thanks in advance!
    The technical specification of the lens in Nikon's page states that the minimum focusing distance is 1.9m with a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:8.1. This lens is about $8k.

The kit lens you've got can focus as close as 0.28m and has a maximum reproduction ratio of about 1:3.2 at the minimum focusing distance when zoomed to 55mm, so you can actually get a bigger image than with the AF-S 200/2G VR.

Learn with your kit lens first, then think about other lenses as you progress.

in addition, you can use a close-up/macro filter to reduce your focusing distance. that'll be a cheaper alternative before you'll be tempted to get a macro lens.

cheers

you own a 200mm f2?!?!?!?!? Tat's cool man. Get a macro lens of course. reproduction 1:1
    105mm VR f2.8 would certainly be the best. Price lets say abt 1k odd? not too sure. That's if u want quaility. Other than that, best of luck. =D I go for nth but the best so yea. =D

i would say go for a dedicated macro lens. you will crave for it sooner or later

i recommend the value for money tamron 90mm. 2nd hand should be around 400 plus. performance is on par with the nikon macro lens. can use it as a portrait lens too.
    | 2point8 Photography |
    :: to see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower ::

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The technical specification of the lens in Nikon's page states that the minimum focusing distance is 1.9m with a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:8.1. This lens is about $8k.

The kit lens you've got can focus as close as 0.28m and has a maximum reproduction ratio of about 1:3.2 at the minimum focusing distance when zoomed to 55mm, so you can actually get a bigger image than with the AF-S 200/2G VR.

Learn with your kit lens first, then think about other lenses as you progress.
    Oh my.. $8k!!

Thanks for the explanation! I was getting confused with the functionalities of the different lenses.

With regards to using filters, say polarising filter and 81A warming filter.. have you any recommendations as to where/which shops I should be looking for them? Any idea on the price range/brands too?

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    in addition, you can use a close-up/macro filter to reduce your focusing distance. that'll be a cheaper alternative before you'll be tempted to get a macro lens.

cheers
    Will you be able to recommend any brands for this? Any idea on the price range??

You can try the Raynox DCR250 (closeup filter of sorts) at www.mcgill.com.sg, he has a post in Mass Sales too.

Otherwise, extension tubes will do fine.

Likewise recommend the tamron90mm macro lens, it takes beautiful photos (:

got some confusion of d extension tube....
    wat does it mean if d extension tube is 25mm? like Kenko has 12mm, 20mm and 36mm....wat d difference?
    thnx