Thread: fogged plastic panel - any solution to clean?

Default fogged plastic panel - any solution to clean?

Hi guys, i try to clean a old type 110 catridge camera, and there is a plastic transparent panel which is kind of 'fogged' and 'cloudy'.. i remove it and try to clean it with soap, contact lens liquid, dishwashing liquid..and even soak it but not able to make it 'clear'..

when you soak it with water, it becomes clear and clean..but once it dry up the fogged looks come back. is it able to salvage? i wonder why when i wet it with water, the plastic panel looks clear, but once it dry..the glass panel go back to fogged surface.

anyone can advise what to do? like what solution to use?

Default Re: fogged plastic panel - any solution to clean?

issit a coating on the plastic panel make it looked fogged? it looks clear once it is wet, but fogged after day..

i guess its little tiny scratches? same thing happened when i tried to wash something off a clear plastic panel.

it got so irritating, i had the whole thing changed.

it seems like residue..the weird thing is when you wet with water, the panel looks clear..but once dry out..the fogged pattern is showing..it affect the 'transparentness'..

i think you can try meguiars plastic polish. of all things it's a car polish. *note* I've not tried it but I understand it does for plastics.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-clear-p...Plastic-Polish

yeah. the polish should do the job. It's likely to be tiny hairline scratches that's causing the fogging.

ok..it is kind of polish? so i may try to use toothpaste before of buying it..

the fogged mark is like a kind of cloudy coating on the plastic panel, when it is wet, it looks clear, but dry up then the cloudy coating appears again..

Rub a bit of facial oil on it.

It won't be crystal clear, but at least you'll be able to see through it.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    Hi guys, i try to clean a old type 110 catridge camera, and there is a plastic transparent panel which is kind of 'fogged' and 'cloudy'.. i remove it and try to clean it with soap, contact lens liquid, dishwashing liquid..and even soak it but not able to make it 'clear'..

when you soak it with water, it becomes clear and clean..but once it dry up the fogged looks come back. is it able to salvage? i wonder why when i wet it with water, the plastic panel looks clear, but once it dry..the glass panel go back to fogged surface.

anyone can advise what to do? like what solution to use?
    Hi LENS,

I suspect that your plastic panel (which is a polymeric material) is heavily scratched or 'etched', either by hard objects or environmental stuff like dust and other foreign hard artifacts during the course of its use. I will think that the camera has been rather heavily used and old. It is 'foggy' due to the tiny scratches on the plastic. Instead of light rays passing through directly through the plastic, the light is refracted and reflected, thus the plastic appeared translucent (foggy).

Water or other solvents only gives the plastic a 'clear' fell due to its ability to reduce the reflectance/refractance index due to different densities. After it dried, your plastic will return to its scratched self.

There is no foolproof way in a home setting to return the plastic to its former glory. My advice is to replace the plastic completely if possible. In a lab setting, depending on what kind of plastic, it is possible to re-melt and recast the plastic, but that will depend on the structure of the mold itself.

Polishing the plastic may help (but I cannot guarantee) but you may need to get the correct polishing cloth with right 'size' or else you will go polishing away more than you should. I am not too sure if the market do sell polishing cloths for this purposes, if so, I will advise getting a cloth with the polishing material size less than 6 microns.

Alright, I am sorry for the long post, as my work research is on polymers, my habit of explaining is in a scientific way. My apologies if its too boring for you.

Anyway, in short, it is better to replace the entire plastic component if available. If not available, then you may have to live with it, and try to take utmost care of it from now on.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers,

Oic, appreciate a lot that your explanation, at least it gives me some clues that why it looks clear when wet with water..Good to learn something.

i may see if i can get similar plastic panel..

Quote Originally Posted by hermes129 View Post
    Hi LENS,

I suspect that your plastic panel (which is a polymeric material) is heavily scratched or 'etched', either by hard objects or environmental stuff like dust and other foreign hard artifacts during the course of its use. I will think that the camera has been rather heavily used and old. It is 'foggy' due to the tiny scratches on the plastic. Instead of light rays passing through directly through the plastic, the light is refracted and reflected, thus the plastic appeared translucent (foggy).

Water or other solvents only gives the plastic a 'clear' fell due to its ability to reduce the reflectance/refractance index due to different densities. After it dried, your plastic will return to its scratched self.

There is no foolproof way in a home setting to return the plastic to its former glory. My advice is to replace the plastic completely if possible. In a lab setting, depending on what kind of plastic, it is possible to re-melt and recast the plastic, but that will depend on the structure of the mold itself.

Polishing the plastic may help (but I cannot guarantee) but you may need to get the correct polishing cloth with right 'size' or else you will go polishing away more than you should. I am not too sure if the market do sell polishing cloths for this purposes, if so, I will advise getting a cloth with the polishing material size less than 6 microns.

Alright, I am sorry for the long post, as my work research is on polymers, my habit of explaining is in a scientific way. My apologies if its too boring for you.

Anyway, in short, it is better to replace the entire plastic component if available. If not available, then you may have to live with it, and try to take utmost care of it from now on.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers,