Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what software u use to organize ur photos, Mac user only.

Default Re: what software u use to organize ur photos, Mac user only.

Errr... your Mac OS should come with iPhoto, no? Think that's the best program to use, it also has an a-mayyyyyyy-zing 'enhance' button

Otherwise, Preview has the basic photo adjustment functions but you'll have to organise your photos by the Dewey Decimal system! Eek! Sorry, wrong forum! Organise the photos on your own.
    Don't Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight...

if you are deciding whether its worth paying $328 for aperture or use the free iphoto, here are some differentiating factors.

• aperture supports non-destructive editing. the original file is not modified. what you get are versions of the original file. as far as i know, every edit in iphoto is destructive and your original file gets modified once you save the edited photo.
    • aperture does not keep multiple copies of your file. it maintains a small edit list file from which it can create any version of the original on the fly and present it to you on screen. compare this with iphoto which every version you make is a photo file itself.
    • aperture makes it very easy to archive (backup) your aperture library. it will compare the current library with the archive copy and backup only the changes. for iphoto you have to backup the library yourself, which means using finder to make a copy of the library - a task that can potentially take a while if your library is large.

oOo... cheem...

Anyways, iPhoto doesn't touch the original photos If you're editing your photos in iPhoto, there's always a 'modified' folder created. Photos shown in the iPhoto program itself are the saved modified version and if you don't like what you've done to them, you can always revert to the original.
    Don't Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight...

Quote Originally Posted by LynneSaur View Post
    oOo... cheem...

Anyways, iPhoto doesn't touch the original photos If you're editing your photos in iPhoto, there's always a 'modified' folder created. Photos shown in the iPhoto program itself are the saved modified version and if you don't like what you've done to them, you can always revert to the original.
    thanks for the info. but the modification is still a full photo right? so thats additional space taken up. even with 500gig-1000gig drives, your digital photo collection can balloon very quickly especially if you are shooting raw. thats where you will see the benefits of aperture cos each photo will take up much less space.

I prefer using my own method and skipping software to help me. Location->event->date usually works just fine for folders.

I tried Extensis Portfolio version 7 for a while but it was more work and buggy software. I haven't tried collections within Adobe Bridge but I doubt that functionality would help much. Cumulus is another application that helps organise files, but I haven't used the full version.

Deregistered

Try photoshop CS4. It will never go wrong...

Finder

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Dee-Q View Post
    aperture2, lightroom, iphoto, which one is better ???
    i use lightroom, largely due to its seamless integration with photoshop. and also because there are plenty of develop presets out there for lightroom that create interesting effects.

If you want something easy to use, it's iPhoto hands down. The smart folders and events are a great way to organize your pics, and the editing tools are enough for the non-pro user. If you want something more professional, then try Aperture, but make sure to get the latest version (2.1). You should note that Aperture is a lot more demanding on your machine though. My Macbook (non-pro) struggles a little with it. I try to use Apple applications as much as I can since they integrate into the whole operating system and other Apple apps.

Nobody using Graphicconverter? Find it quite a good and capable viewer similar to ac/dc in mac incarnation.

iPhoto's more than good enough. Used to use that till I started using Aperture.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jpcc View Post
    Nobody using Graphicconverter? Find it quite a good and capable viewer similar to ac/dc in mac incarnation.
    Great except for RAW ......

Quote Originally Posted by jpcc View Post
    I tried to use that on my last machine and it worked but since I usually have Photoshop open, it was easier to ignore Graphic Converter. On this machine, I just deleted it as soon as I saw it.

EOS imports according to date, and that's it. when i need to find something, i pray my memory doesn't fail me.

have thought of using something (lightroom, aperture,...) but nothing moved me. seems like they cost money and will take up a lot of RAM. i am still waiting for picasa to come up with a mac version!

OS 10.5 Finder rockz! Click on the image, hit the space button and voila! A nice preview.

Down to Vista!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    OS 10.5 Finder rockz! Click on the image, hit the space button and voila! A nice preview.

Down to Vista!!!

Tks for the tip...been using mac for the last 6 mths and din know abt this func
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

iPhoto for purely organiser, Photoshop for editing. Works good currently. Would love if Picasa gets onto Mac.

Here is my workflow:

Camera -> Lightroom 2 for importing and organising, choosing, simple editing -> Save edited pics to iphoto for presentation and slideshow

For heavy editing, I might import into Photoshop CS3.

Quote Originally Posted by lokeyuen View Post
    Here is my workflow:

Camera -> Lightroom 2 for importing and organising, choosing, simple editing -> Save edited pics to iphoto for presentation and slideshow

For heavy editing, I might import into Photoshop CS3.
    Ditto.

Workflow in my Mac:
    Lightroom 2 to organize & Edit.
    Photoshop: Advanced editing.

din use much of iPhoto.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast