1) The age of majority shld be lowered from 21 to 16 (but maintain voting age at 21yrs old). Which means they can be sent directly to Changi Prison if they commit a crime at 16yrs old.
2) Give the judge discretion to send the kid (regardless of age) directly RTC or Changi Prison if its judged that the offence committed is serious enough.
3) Close down Boys & Girls Town. Rename RTC as Juvenile Maximum Security Prison. The very word PRISON shld impose a psychological shock upon those snotty kiddos.
4) The duty of the parents is to look after the children, for every year that the kid is sentenced to in Juvenile Prison make sure the adult gets 1mth in prison as well.
5) If the kid doesn't dress appropriately or if the parent talks back to the judge, impose 2x the original sentence.
6) The judge has every single damned right to screw the parents AND the kid. The judge is the very symbol of State Authority. If one doesn't show simple, basic respect towards the Symbol of State Authority & Discipline, they seriously ought to get screwed~
The above 6pts sums up everything I have in mind for Juvenile Delinquents these days.
Remember michael Fay? I was in USA during those years. Fay's news was all over the media. When i chat up with a man (total stranger) on the street and told him I came from singapore, he walked forward, shook my hand with both of his hands and said "well done, Singapore! That American kids totally deserved what he did." He felt such kids should be dealt with properly.
As to local kids, I would still say there is a mix of good and bad ones just like yesteryears. Remember those days with many teens involved in frequent gang fights, religious cult (mediums), and real secret societies for lucrative trades? All i can say is times have not really changed as human nature always remain the same. However, the justice system does play a pivotal role in knitting the social fabric.
If the judges are parental suckers, it can liberate the bad kids to do more harm.
You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!
wow nice article on wiki...
i would love to flip the same finger back at the kid... but unfortunately teachers and my superior is nearby so i can't do it...dun think i would wanna stoop to the kid's level of rudeness... i can only settle with being caustic-ly sarcastic to the rude kids without my superior hearing.... : <
wonder if the kids will grow up after the days of obscenities and rudditities in secondary school and move on to college and poly...
If i am taking photo of that middle finger kid, just develop the photo and give to the school. See how long the boy can laugh...
Back to the judge scolding teenager issue, I think it is a good touch. One of the replies here said that if u need someone to scold your kid for you, you have failed as a parent. Alot of these kids are supposed to be Beyond Parental Control (BPC) cases where the parents declare to the juvenile court that "hey i can't handle my kid, pls help me" It is a failure of the parents, but more importantly a sign that the parents still care enough to want someone to help them with their kid (the converse of parents simply using BPC as the easy way out is of course possible, but let's not go to that now)
So alot of parents dun wanna use BPC, cos they fail to recognise the impact of their kid's wrongdoings "let him be lah, he will mature soon" Either that or they paiseh to use BPC cos it will show that they are lousier parents. End of day kena 01 x good one from judge, see which one more paiseh
Canon: 5DMkIII, 7D, 2470f2.8L, 50f1.8, 70200f2.8L IS II, 430EX II, 600EX
I'm also waiting...unfortunately the truth of the matter is that judges think they are Gods, not merely judges. Look at how they scold people...parents...kids...lawyers, over things which are not within their purview or jurisdictions.
In their room, they think they are God :P
Ah Bengs and Ah Lians these days care more about "Territory" and "Fashion"
I learned self-control, and even though I know what they mean, I have never used them...
"Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams
Society is such. You do what u need to do to fit in. If not, then u are at the mercy of those who are more "powerful". Good thing in CS we do not discriminate else my newbie tag /my smaller / older / cheaper camera will earn me no favors ... thus need BBB to fit in
Yappy, you are borderline trolling...
Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.