Thread: difference btw compact and dslr?

Default difference btw compact and dslr?

hi all csers i wanna check with you guys/ladies,

whats the difference btw a 10mp compact camera and a 10mp dslr. thks for the replies

Default Re: difference btw compact and dslr?

Quote Originally Posted by RxXxX View Post

whats the difference btw a 10mp compact camera and a 10mp dslr. thks for the replies
    Google your question, there are tons of info on the net.

A DSLR will make you spend more and more on lens and other accessories. It's evil.
    Get a compact!

Short answer ..
    only the 10mp designation is the same
    everything else is different

In layman terms, a compact is simply a point and shoot while a DSLR has so much more options to choose.

Main difference is the size of the sensor if you are tallking about picture quality.

Of course, there are things that compact can do and DSLR cant. A good example is taking videos. There are defintely more things that a DSLR can do and a compact cant.

There wouldnt be so many people here using DSLR if compact can perform on par with a DSLR.

Hope it helps.

To me SLR = Single lens reflex...what you see in your viewfinder is through the lens(although nowadays there is live view in DSLR too) where else compact is live view through image sensor However I am not sure what is the significant different of the 2

dude its like asking whats the difference between the s league and the premier league and saying there is not much diff cos they are both professional leagues with football teams in them.

dslr gives the user as far as possible maximum control and ultimate flexibility in terms of lighting options such as shutter speed aperture colour temperature as well as focus (this is of course limited by budget) however the PnS is limited by what lense is stuck on it.

a dslr would definitely produce sharper pictures due to sensor and the lense.

however the pns does provide portability being able to fit into ones pocket.

just remember there is alot more depth to a dslrs capability then what u think or have this perception of.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Deregistered

This is like asking what is the difference between a BMW and a KIA? Both gets you from point A to point B, apart from the badge difference, but why ppl pay so much more for a BMW??

Same goes for DSLRs, the obvious difference are

- better control layout,
    - better DOF,
    - lower shutter lag....and the list can go on and on

I like my P&S as much as my DSLR, especially when I want to travel light and also into video, P&S gets my vote.
    Last edited by billpepsi; 8th April 2008 at 03:11 PM.

beside more manual control, faster responses and changeable lenses, main advantage is about sensor size and dynamic range, ISO, and more depth of field control to isolate subject out.
    can read more here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...quality_01.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...r_sizes_01.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...itivity_01.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=dynamic_range
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...f_Field_01.htm
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

the difference is very simple.

ever tried shooting a party in low light with a compact? you'll probably get very grainy shots and have huge trouble focusing.

now, if you had a d3 with a sb-800 flash. everything becomes really simple. click, and in fractions of a second, gears turn, lens focuses accurately, pictures come out sharp and grain free.

well, i can understand if you dont see the difference, well they always say ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by hacknet View Post
    well, i can understand if you dont see the difference, well they always say ignorance is bliss.
    To the TS, this sentence is in no way sarcastic. Ignorance is indeed a bliss!!! How I hope I do not know anything about the differences in what equipment can do, how big aperture lenses can do wonders and this sickening D3

One of the main differences I love is that my 400D can take high ISO shots without ugly noise
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by billpepsi View Post
    This is like asking what is the difference between a BMW and a KIA? Both gets you from point A to point B, apart from the badge difference, but why ppl pay so much more for a BMW??

Same goes for DSLRs, the obvious difference are

- better control layout,
    - better DOF,
    - lower shutter lag....and the list can go on and on

I like my P&S as much as my DSLR, especially when I want to travel light and also into video, P&S gets my vote.

Actually the analogy should be between automatic and manual gear....
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

I believe DSLR offers better picture quality which explains their (much) higher price. It also offers the flexibility of various lens/filters/accessories to achieve the desired effect.

I have a canon IXUS 860IS and nikon D80..can tell the quality esp in nite situations...

;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Actually the analogy should be between automatic and manual gear....
    More like a motorcycle and a car.

Moving up a notch from the compact camera category gets you into the pro-sumer category, where the image quality differences narrows a bit.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
    Great work, and from an Oly pro-sumer camera too.
    Just reminds yourself that the camera is just a tool that lets you make great pictures.
    Agree that slr cameras, whether digital or film, are more flexible, but its a question of whether one actually needs that flexibility. Sometimes, you dont. I find that its easier for me to bring 3 cameras loaded with different film and focal lengths and then just head out the door.

cheers
    rf