Thread: the sun sets its time to unwind

Default the sun sets its time to unwind

hi again. im a little apprehensive to post. because of what happened last time. but oh well. what the heck.

okay its evening and nature has presented me with a beautiful sunset just outside my place. i wish i had a fisheye with me but i guess wideangle distortion would have to do. trying to make look as if my block to the left is bowing down tired from the days work. i dunno if u guys find it a little to under but i did that to portray the lack of life in the scene.

i also like the contrast between the fast approcahing warm sunset and the blue from the day.

1/50 f4 iso 200

nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Default Re: the sun sets its time to unwind

I like the notion of a building bowing wearily after a long day. However I feel the execution could have been done a little better.

Firstly, although you mentioned that you fancied the contrast between the blue of day and the orange of the impending sunset, the image appears a tad flat. I personally would have tweaked the contrast up a little or manipulated the curves.

Secondly, I found myself distracted by some elements in the bottom part of the picture -- especially the bright orange light from a doorway at the bottom left and the half-cropped tree on the bottom right. It may be that you wanted the tree on the bottom right to balance out the composition; in which case, perhaps showing the entire tree in the frame may be less distracting. If the tree was unintended, then cropping it out may be a good option.

Thirdly, was there a reason why you shot wide open in f/4? In my opinion, it may have made the photo (especially the building at the bottom right) rather soft.

Cheers,

like the carpark shot by another cs-er.. watch the unintended stuff in the frame (like the half a tree.. and the orange spot at the bottom).. =)

hey i wud have preffered if the pic had been cropped frm the bottom,exactly at the spot showing a few leaves of the coconut tree like near the first floor...........

hi guys thanks for the comments. i understand the thing about the crop. i tried cropping but seemed weird to me when i did so i just left it. haha.

anyway one question i would like to answer. the reason i shot at wide open f4. i like f4 cause it lets in enough light yet provides a decent amount of sharpness. this shot was handheld and thus i couldnt shoot at f8 and i didnt want to bumo up the iso because of the shadows.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4