Thread: Broadband ADSL questions

psyche
    Guests

Default Broadband ADSL questions

Harlow...

I've got some questions on Broadband which I hope some of you could help me.

I've just signed up with Singtel's Broadband service and it was just activated yesterday. Ok, have to admit first I'm a broadband idiot so I know little about connections and stuffs like that.

I thot if I get connected to the Internet via Broadband, I can use the phone at the same time? As opposed to the slower dial-up service. But apparently not! If there's an incoming call or if the phone is picked up, the connection will be broken. So if I'm connected, does it mean my phone line is still being used??? (The purpose I signed up for broadband is for faster connection and also to cut down on the phone bills!)

Also, I've got 4 telephones in the house. When the broadband connection is on, there's some noise on my phone (the one connected to the computer) while the rest of the phones in the house have a lot of noise! Prractically impossible to use at all, unless i disconnect the ADSL modem connection.

Sigh, been trying to figure out for some time... Does anyone have any clue what I'm missing here?

Thanks for any help!!!

i have singnet broadband and i don't get disconnected when there's any incoming calls. heck, i can still make calls while online.
    not sure about the details, but i think the broadband connection uses a different bandwith than the voice line. so should not have a problem. maybe you can check with singnet?
    as for the noise, it is normal. you need to get a microfilter (i think that's what it's called; suddenly the name slipped my mind). this will filter out the noise so that you can make phone calls. but i think you need one for each phone.

Just get a microfilter for each phone and you'll be ok.
    Normal microfilters cost abt S$10 each.
    Novia @ Downtown East is having a sale. Selling microfilters @ S$8.50 each.

Default Looks like a signal to noise Ratio Problem here

Hi There,

It looks like there is a problem with how you are using the phone lines. Well...having 4 phones connecting in parallel to the phone line will obviously lower down the effective signal from the exchange to your home phone.

In laymans term...if you have a river with 4 litres of water and having four little splits....of each taking up equal amt of water...then efectively(assuming equivalent split)....you will have smaller i.e 1 litres each.....

So the noise that comes from the ADSL channel may have been large compared to the "1 litre" instead of "4 litres" if you were to connect only one phone onto the wall jack.

Though there is a micro filter of for the ADSL and this may in some levels help reduce the noise coupling to the phone......the PHONE SIGNAL to NOISE(from ADSL) ratio may be out of proportion, HENCE the higher noise you are hearing from the phone(that may not have a micro filter.

FYI.....if you connect too many phones on one line....you may even have a case of the phone not ringing.....

Regards,
    Sulhan.........trying to help where i could...

I believe his 4 phones, though tapped from just one line, have their own wall sockets.
    I don't think that will be too much of a problem.
    Actually I have 6 phones around the house from one line and I'm using SNBB too. Never have a problem.

psyche
    Guests

Thanks 4 all your help and suggestions...

I only have 1 wall telephone socket. All the phones are connected via telephone extension cables to a "multiple socket adapter" which is then connected to the single wall socket.

The funny thing is, while I'm connected to broadband, I can still use the phone (with microfilter) in my room and the kitchen (no microfilter) without being disconnected but not those in 2 other rooms (also no microfilter). I get lots of noise from them. With the microfilter in the room phone, I still get some noticeable noise, though it's worse without it.

Ok not sure if this is the prob: On the provided diagram in the manual, one end of the telephone cable is connected to the "line" jack of the ADSL modem while the other goes directly to the telephone wall socket. However, bcos of multiple phones and the fact that my bedroom computer is far from the wall socket in the living room, I have to connect the cable from the "line" jack of the modem to the "line" jack of my PC. Then another cable connects the "phone" jack of my PC to the "multiple socket adapter" I was talking about earlier.

So do you think the problem comes from my setup? I know it sounds darn complicated.... *sigh* Btw, my PC comes with an internal modem. Since I'm using Broadband, will connecting to the phone and line jacks of my PC cause my present problem? Cos in the diagram, the phone and line sockets are not used at all.

Thanks again... I appreciate it a lot. Hope I can solve this soon...
    Last edited by psyche; 14th June 2003 at 01:10 PM.

Why does your phone line have to go through your computer??
    My suggestion :
    From your wall socket, connect a splitter to divide the socket to 2.
    1 go to your adsl modem "line" socket.
    Then the "phone" socket from your modem connect to a phone in your room

The other socket from the splitter in the living room, go to a microfilter.
    From the microfilter, connect your other 3 phones.

psyche
    Guests

Originally posted by Fella
    Why does your phone line have to go through your computer??
    My suggestion :
    From your wall socket, connect a splitter to divide the socket to 2.
    1 go to your adsl modem "line" socket.
    Then the "phone" socket from your modem connect to a phone in your room

The other socket from the splitter in the living room, go to a microfilter.
    From the microfilter, connect your other 3 phones.
    Thanks Fella I will go try your suggestion. But from the microfilter, I need another splitter with at least 3 jacks right, since I've got 3 phones to connect to?

Originally posted by psyche
    Thanks Fella I will go try your suggestion. But from the microfilter, I need another splitter with at least 3 jacks right, since I've got 3 phones to connect to?
    yes.

adsl no need mircofilter
    connect to normal phone put a micro filter between the phone and the line source.

The microfilter is not a cure-all. I had so much problems with both my ADSL connections (home and office) that I gave up a couple of years ago and switched to cable modem instead. No problems since then. Unlimited some more.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    The microfilter is not a cure-all. I had so much problems with both my ADSL connections (home and office) that I gave up a couple of years ago and switched to cable modem instead. No problems since then. Unlimited some more.
    ADSL is also unlimited, but price is on the high side. On the flip side, you get dedicated 512K or 256K instead of shared 1.5Mbps or 3Mbps. I use my ADSL on my 2nd line which I had since the dial-up modem days, so no problems with line noise, etc. The modem I am using has a microfilter built-in, and the phone daisy-chained to it is still usable (no noise) when I surf.

Regards
    CK

i hope u trust me on this cos I JUST RECOVERED FROM THIS PROBLEM ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO...

i also signed up for singnet broadband some time ago and when the line was activated i kept getting d/c whenever i pick up the phone to make a call or when there was an incoming call.

i could even disconnect the line from a different wall socket within my home.

so anyway i hounded the singnet broadband helpdesk and they asked me to test out every line, phone and micro filter in the house. still didn't work.... i made at least 8 calls in 2 days to the helpdesk and the problem wasn't solved.

so finally my dad called them up and blasted them for their crap service... they finally sent a technician to examine the problem 3 days after.

the catch is - if the problem is inside your home, pay $20. if the fault lies anywhere outside your doorstep then its free of charge.

so the technician said it was a circuit problem along the phone line. he changed a new circuit outside my home and the problem was fixed. he even used a laptop to check twice and made a few phone calls to check just in case.

voila... problem solved.... after a lot of agony. but hey i'm satisfied with my broadband..

btw
    adsl microfilter prices at all singtel shops
    1 pc - $10
    2 pc - $16
    3 pc - $22

ADSL is very much dependant on your telephone line.

So Line quality is very important.

In older estates, where the line quality is poor, I have friends who encounter frequent disconnection and complain like hell, vowing never to use ADSL again.

But after a few visits by the phone line guys, the connection is good.

I had this static or noisy thing on my phone before even though I was using a micro filter.

I though the micro filter faulty and bought another, but the problem persisted.

Complained to Singtel, and a technican come, checked and then left, problem restored but after less than 12 hours it returned.

complained again, another technican come, changed my phone socket for free, tested ok, but the problem returned after 1 day.

Complained again (I was getting really pissed off by then), another technican come (3rd one), and he said he was informed by his other 2 colleagues what they did and cannot work.

So he did a really though check and found the phone line outside my house, 2 of the 4 wires are faulty. Resulting in dropped connections and noisy lines.

He swapped to the other 2 "good" ones (ADSL and phone only need 2 wires to work) and the problem went away for good.

Trust restored, I signed up another year with Pacnet after they gave me a discount for completing 2 years of contract.
    The discounted rate was cheaper than SCV so did not want to revert to cable

psyche
    Guests

Thanks everyone for the informative reply! I never knew there are other things to consider, such as quality of line.

I've tried removing all other phone connections besides the one to my room and realized it does work! So the problem seems to come from the multiple cables I'm using at the single wall socket.

I'll call the technical support tomorrow. I really appreciate all your sharing!

I have found that sometimes it's not the phone connection but the telephone itself. I had one cheap Alcom callerID phone that used to give a hissing noise and disrupting my ADSL connection. Removing it and replacing it with another phone cured the problem.