Thread: Middle of Circular Polarizer Dirty?

Default Middle of Circular Polarizer Dirty?

Hi

I just got a circular polarizer from my friend who no longer has a use for it. The middle of the filter (the part in between the 2 rings) seems to be dirty. Is it possible for me to separate the 2 rings and clean them? If yes, how do I detach them?

Thanks.

PS: It's a Hoya filter

Default Re: Middle of Circular Polarizer Dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by racoon31e View Post
    Hi

I just got a circular polarizer from my friend who no longer has a use for it. The middle of the filter (the part in between the 2 rings) seems to be dirty. Is it possible for me to separate the 2 rings and clean them? If yes, how do I detach them?

Thanks.

PS: It's a Hoya filter
    Hi,

I am not too sure. Maybe other forum members can help. In a lab setting, I will use ultrasonicator to clean it by vibrating out the dirt and grime. But I guess the water may go in between the two glass pieces. So may not be a feasible idea.

In a home setting, maybe you like to try using a tweezer (available outside) and slowly scrape out the dirt. But a word of warning, the tweezer is sharp so be careful not to scratch the aluminum filter ring or even worse, the filter glass itself.

Cheers,

Thanks

Anybody else?

Blog Entries

There is actually liquid, if I am not mistaken some form of lubrication between the 2 glass. If you open it that's the end of your polarizer.

Once I had a Hoya CP and the from glass just dropped off, oily liquid was found dripping. That's how I found out about about it.

Correct me if I am wrong.