Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Isnt prosumer better?

  1. #41
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonecow View Post
    If it is possible to compare shutter life-span of DSLRs and film SLRs..... Not sure how long would it take the average casual photographer to reach 100k-300k shutter count, but my dad's trusty old consumer-range film SLR took 15 years before the shutter "lau-zhap" and died.
    The main difference between film and digital photos is that it costs around $10 or so for 36 exposures - film and developing. It'll cost way over $20,000 for 100k exposures.

    100 exposures per day, every day, for 3 years = 100k actuations. Not totally beyond the usage of a hobbyist. And there are nutcases who use the multiple frame per seconds of a DSLR to make movies... Some of the results look impressive, but, still, good grief!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    The main difference between film and digital photos is that it costs around $10 or so for 36 exposures - film and developing. It'll cost way over $20,000 for 100k exposures.

    100 exposures per day, every day, for 3 years = 100k actuations. Not totally beyond the usage of a hobbyist. And there are nutcases who use the multiple frame per seconds of a DSLR to make movies... Some of the results look impressive, but, still, good grief!
    Movies?! That's quite creative haha. Never thought of this 'hidden' function. So MAYBE this diminishes the video advantage that compact prosumers have over SLRs.......... haha

  3. #43
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Strangely, I haven't heard of many cases of the mirror mechanism wearing out, but have come across many users who wore out the shutter. Typically this happens around 50,000 to 100,000 actuationss for non professional models, around 300,000 actuations for pro models. It is also a number that tells easily how much the camera has been used, like the odometer of a car. A DSLR has many more moving parts than a P&S and mechanical parts wear out.
    Curious where could I see the "number" for the number of shots made by a DSLR? The filename numbing can be reseted easily hence it would not be a useful "odometer"...

  4. #44
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious where could I see the "number" for the number of shots made by a DSLR? The filename numbing can be reseted easily hence it would not be a useful "odometer"...
    Nikon's shutter actuation can be found in the EXIF. So can Canon pro models. Canon's consumer models (including xxD) can be read with special "service software" not available to mere mortals like us. No idea about other makes.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonecow View Post
    Movies?! That's quite creative haha. Never thought of this 'hidden' function. So MAYBE this diminishes the video advantage that compact prosumers have over SLRs.......... haha
    There are people who have used D50 to make movie.. I think there is a movie shot entirely with a DSLR.. can't remember which one or which brand was used though.. D60 has a stop motion movie option which converts a series of still frames into a movie.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Isnt prosumer better?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    There are people who have used D50 to make movie.. I think there is a movie shot entirely with a DSLR.. can't remember which one or which brand was used though.. D60 has a stop motion movie option which converts a series of still frames into a movie.
    Here's the link..
    http://nikonblog.wordpress.com/2007/...ith-nikon-d50/

    and the link to the trailer on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCAy3fV6x8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •