Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Well so what if I have to eat grass after spending on flashy stuff that I like, the satisfaction is good enough and I pity the rest. I can get a D3, rest my mind rather than those who kept thinking about it whole day long. Think here save there, thinking it is wasteful and boom, accidents happens and you left without pampering yourself.
    haha amen brother
    look, ideally, have good insurance, have enough money to last you 4 months for necessities (rent, food, health) in your bank, and then go and enjoy life.

    Remember the savings you had as a teen slaving at a cafe and then putting it in your piggy bank?
    8 years later all you got to show for it was $2400 and inflation has eaten away any earned value.
    Better to have spent that $2k back then treating some hot chicks to good dates and getting laid.

    Just putting value into perspective. Money isn't the be all end all.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Haaa, yea right, money planning maybe for 1, 2 years is good enough. Who knows if the market crash in the 3rd year and those dollars can only be use as toilet papers? Haaa...

    Earn hard, play harder, that's what I call life man and I mean your only ONE life!

  3. #63

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    haha amen brother
    look, ideally, have good insurance, have enough money to last you 4 months for necessities (rent, food, health) in your bank, and then go and enjoy life.

    Remember the savings you had as a teen slaving at a cafe and then putting it in your piggy bank?
    8 years later all you got to show for it was $2400 and inflation has eaten away any earned value.
    Better to have spent that $2k back then treating some hot chicks to good dates and getting laid.

    Just putting value into perspective. Money isn't the be all end all.
    that is an argument that has been brought up by someone i do not know personally, but read; he said something to that extent, but with more detail.

    but you know what? there are no piggy banks today, there are many modes of investment, and one can actually, with the right homework not just counter inflation, but earn. obviously this does not apply to students; but more for working adults.

    on the other hand, you speak as if the teens of yesteryear worked for the sake of saving; i would have thought based on my parents' descriptions that they worked for the sake of survival, with scant savings to show.

    do you understand chinese?

    钱不是万能的,但没有钱,万万不能

    it is easy to do the live life to the max attitude, but it is also an immensely selfish attitude, because unless you exist for you, yourself and yourself alone, there are many other things to consider.
    Last edited by night86mare; 14th April 2008 at 03:50 AM.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that is an argument that has been brought up by someone i do not know personally, but read; he said something to that extent, but with more detail.

    but you know what? there are no piggy banks today, there are many modes of investment, and one can actually, with the right homework not just counter inflation, but earn. obviously this does not apply to students; but more for working adults.

    on the other hand, you speak as if the teens of yesteryear worked for the sake of saving; i would have thought based on my parents' descriptions that they worked for the sake of survival, with scant savings to show.

    do you understand chinese?

    钱不是万能的,但没有钱,万万不能

    it is easy to do the live life to the max attitude, but it is also an immensely selfish attitude, because unless you exist for you, yourself and yourself alone, there are many other things to consider.
    Shrugs. Your parents worked for survival. so?what's your point? Am I supposed to feel bad that I don't have to worry about survival?

    I think it's important to have a good cushion of money to
    You make some vague general statement about "there are many other things to consider."
    Would you like to point out some of those things?
    As far as I'm concerned when I work the first person I think about is myself.
    When I'm satisfied and comfortable I will then consider other people.
    Please limit this discussion to urm...young people...as the thread starter seems to be insinuating that young people are "financially empty"

    "Invest your cash n put ur money to work so that when u get those sweet returns can go n buy watever u want.
    If going thru bad patch then slow spending, and if you are financially savvy, can even leverage up.
    That way , can buy all those branded goodies"

    Good advice over here.

    A good Biblical parable to remember now is the one of the three servants given bags of money/gold by their master

    I don't encourage blatant consumerism,and of course I advocate but I don't condemn people spending money. I don't see why we should demonise people for spending money. It seems like a convenient way to make yourself feel superior by putting other people down for their own decisions that don't affect you at all.
    Last edited by mattlock; 14th April 2008 at 11:03 AM.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post


    I don't encourage blatant consumerism,and of course I advocate but I don't condemn people spending money. I don't see why we should demonise people for spending money. It seems like a convenient way to make yourself feel superior by putting other people down for their own decisions that don't affect you at all.
    sorry, don't know the bible, you should elaborate if you want to make a point and not assume that everybody reads it. you are really being a tad over-aggressive here; "on the other hand" signifies that i am going ot, if you must need me to say "i am going ot" to get the point, then perhaps you should state it earlier, for i had thought more highly of you than that.

    anyways; where is the demonisation? you seem to take this argument too personally, as if you are defending your own choices, rather than feeling about the freedom to make one's choices; if you don't mind me saying. i am not even going to bother to point out that saying that condemning others for spending money wantonly is a "convenient way to make yourself feel superior" could just as easily be applied to "condemning others for condemning others for spending money wantonly". make up your mind, when it comes to your views on judgement; if you must be a happy medium, then sit around and shake hands with the world, instead of flashing double standards so blatantly and labelling others "hypocrites".. perhaps some self-reflection is due? i wonder whose views are not-quite-so thought out.

    if that is the case, then there is no need to talk; you have thoroughly ignored the last post before this one, so i assume you are actually more interested in justifying your own choices, much like how a camera user (you have been so long in clubsnap, you should know what i mean) will sit around and throw out points about his brand being superior when he is in actuality trying to justify his own way of life.

    you also make no sense here; just because somebody's actions doesn't affect me, it means that i have no right to feel anything about those actions? please read what you are saying, i could throw any number of examples where your words would sound extremely ludicrous (and apathetic) when applied to such scenarios.

    this attitude reeks of the 自扫门前雪,莫管他人瓦上霜 syndrome that we are seeing. so if as asterixsg (another member here) had posted earlier, when you see a cab driver declining entry to a disabled member of the public because he is a selfish retard who wants to earn more money quickly; is it not true that people are entitled to feel outraged, and it is justifable?

    i suppose you would just watch and say, this is none of my bloody business; in that case, lovely, and i wish you well, since your life views are obviously very different from me, to the extent that it is best that there is zero communication since we would not agree on quite a number of issues.
    Last edited by night86mare; 14th April 2008 at 06:19 PM.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    ??????
    Do you ever read what you write?
    Your taxi analogy makes no sense. A taxi driver has a duty (it's part of his job) to pick up passengers without discrimination. It's not my duty to give a damn about other people's lives except those people I choose to care about.Selfish? So what?

    people love feeling outraged.
    Outraged about every single thing. It gets boring really fast.
    That's why outrage is so passe.
    So Mr Selfless, what selfless things do you do to justify your moral outrage at everything that crosses your path? You come on clubsnap to bitch and whine? Wow.

    Here's a little advice:
    It's easy to get outraged. Just open up the newspapers.
    But we are only capable of doing so much as a single person. Coming on clubsnap to bitch doesn't help much. How much time do you spend typing out your replies? Why don't you spend your time doing something good for someone else since you're so selfless? How do you manage to put your opinion in every other kopitiam post?
    Sheesh.*rolls eyeballs*

    BTW I overlooked your last post because you were having a rolling monologue about what it meant to be human. No one's interested.
    Save that for your university humanities class,thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sorry, don't know the bible, you should elaborate if you want to make a point and not assume that everybody reads it. you are really being a tad over-aggressive here; "on the other hand" signifies that i am going ot, if you must need me to say "i am going ot" to get the point, then perhaps you should state it earlier, for i had thought more highly of you than that.

    anyways; where is the demonisation? you seem to take this argument too personally, as if you are defending your own choices, rather than feeling about the freedom to make one's choices; if you don't mind me saying. i am not even going to bother to point out that saying that condemning others for spending money wantonly is a "convenient way to make yourself feel superior" could just as easily be applied to "condemning others for condemning others for spending money wantonly". make up your mind, when it comes to your views on judgement; if you must be a happy medium, then sit around and shake hands with the world, instead of flashing double standards so blatantly and labelling others "hypocrites".. perhaps some self-reflection is due? i wonder whose views are not-quite-so thought out.

    if that is the case, then there is no need to talk; you have thoroughly ignored the last post before this one, so i assume you are actually more interested in justifying your own choices, much like how a camera user (you have been so long in clubsnap, you should know what i mean) will sit around and throw out points about his brand being superior when he is in actuality trying to justify his own way of life.

    you also make no sense here; just because somebody's actions doesn't affect me, it means that i have no right to feel anything about those actions? please read what you are saying, i could throw any number of examples where your words would sound extremely ludicrous (and apathetic) when applied to such scenarios.

    this attitude reeks of the 自扫门前雪,莫管他人瓦上霜 syndrome that we are seeing. so if as asterixsg (another member here) had posted earlier, when you see a cab driver declining entry to a disabled member of the public because he is a selfish retard who wants to earn more money quickly; is it not true that people are entitled to feel outraged, and it is justifable?

    i suppose you would just watch and say, this is none of my bloody business; in that case, lovely, and i wish you well, since your life views are obviously very different from me, to the extent that it is best that there is zero communication since we would not agree on quite a number of issues.
    Last edited by mattlock; 14th April 2008 at 09:04 PM.

  7. #67
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    One can just as easily say "Sorry, dont understand the complex Chinese proverbs, you should elaborate/translate if you want to maek a point and not assume that everybody understands it".

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sorry, don't know the bible, you should elaborate if you want to make a point and not assume that everybody reads it.

    [...]

    this attitude reeks of the 自扫门前雪,莫管他人瓦上霜 syndrome that we are seeing.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    yes no?

    I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?
    I am this person u mentioned. ... well, I am not working yet...

  9. #69

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    ??????
    Do you ever read what you write?
    Your taxi analogy makes no sense. A taxi driver has a duty (it's part of his job) to pick up passengers without discrimination. It's not my duty to give a damn about other people's lives except those people I choose to care about.Selfish? So what?

    people love feeling outraged.
    Outraged about every single thing. It gets boring really fast.
    That's why outrage is so passe.
    So Mr Selfless, what selfless things do you do to justify your moral outrage at everything that crosses your path? You come on clubsnap to bitch and whine? Wow.

    Here's a little advice:
    It's easy to get outraged. Just open up the newspapers.
    But we are only capable of doing so much as a single person. Coming on clubsnap to bitch doesn't help much. How much time do you spend typing out your replies? Why don't you spend your time doing something good for someone else since you're so selfless? How do you manage to put your opinion in every other kopitiam post?
    Sheesh.*rolls eyeballs*

    BTW I overlooked your last post because you were having a rolling monologue about what it meant to be human. No one's interested.
    Save that for your university humanities class,thanks.
    you obviously don't get what is going on

    you are the selfless messiah who wants to see things from everybody's point of view

    not me, i have written that only twice; it is even more ironic because you ask me to see things from people's point of view, because they might gain utility out of their purchases, the next moment you say.. i shouldn't care, it is none of my business.. you are one confused messiah!

    YOU WIN, 100% for reading comprehension, good day, tata

    btw, based on the speed of replies, it is obvious who is spending more time here, or who has the experience in shooting fast replies, so you can keep your mind off how i spend my time

    you obviously care a lot about me! by your own logic, since you are very concerned about my affairs. should i be touched?

    p.s. wow, bitching about people whining and bitching and getting outraged easily on clubsnap is helpful; once again, you slap yourself in the face
    p.p.s. you prove your own point right by giving more and more haphazard replies in response, talk about "being easily outraged"
    Last edited by night86mare; 14th April 2008 at 09:26 PM.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    One can just as easily say "Sorry, dont understand the complex Chinese proverbs, you should elaborate/translate if you want to maek a point and not assume that everybody understands it".
    i need help translating "maek"

    hrm. ms words, was it not?

  11. #71

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    ok thread close.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •