Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Just take a look around clubsnap forum here. Many are buying photo gear in the name of hobby, but waiting for their pay or borrowing to make their purchase.

No point buying all those gadgets and then don't even have savings for your daily needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    But living off IOU's practically means borrowing and paying later and aren't they generally for huge sums such as purchasing a car or aquiring homeownership?
    This makes perfect sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by AverRal View Post
    The differing factor is the way the person carries himself in public - in terms of mannerism and courtesy that determines if he of a certain social standing.

Some people thinks that money is the only thing that are able to make them look better in the living society, which is not true. They spend their hard-earned cash for expensive gadget for things that they hoped will increase people's respect and opinion about them.

Some examples I found are:

1. There is a model who need to sell her branded stuff to pay her ticket for her holiday to Australia. She offered some of her designer bags for sale...

2. Someone's selling a $2,500 pro lens after using it for only 2 weeks because he needs money...

3. Someone who has a big HDTV, but sometimes have no money to live through the month, and approached a welfare organization for help.

4. Someone whose salary is under $2,000 but he's driving a car to work and his job actually does not need him to be driving. Closer to the end of months, he has no more money even to have lunch, so he buys a cheap packet of bread and eat it for lunch for several days each months.

For basic necessities, we have no choice. For example, we have to buy our flat which cost for example, $250,000, and we have to work the whole life to pay for it. This should be a priority. But a car is considered one of gadgets which actually won't affect your life if you don't have one.

I remember watching a programme in TV which explains a simple guideline to help people to learn some wisdom in using their money.

1. Your housing cost (mortgage or room rental) should not exceed 30% of your total household income, daily needs (Meals, PUB & Phone bills) under 35% of your total income, entertainment (including holidays) 15% of your household income, and the rest (minimal 20%) should go to your savings and emergencies.

2. Don't buy gadgets which cost more than 10% of your total savings you have. For example, if you have $30,000 inside your savings, in one year do not buy more than $3,000 worth of gadgets. (The definition of gadgets is those things "you won't die if you don't have one").

3. Don't use your credit card. Use it only for emergencies, for example when suddenly you need to pay hospital bills.

I know that some people will look forward to burn me alive after reading this post of mine... I don't care, I am sharing the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    it's a new world. I don't see anything ironic about this.
    so what if your bank account has 4 figures?
    did someone piss you off by borrowing money from you, that you have to make all these snide remarks and generalisations about such people

"I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?"

you seem to already started the topic wanting to accuse people of this so why not just drop the pretense about "older working people" making such comments and state:
    "people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty."
    I don't get piss if i lend money to these people i'm willing to.
    I feel intrigued by their behaviour that's all.

How would i put it into perspective..say..you belong to the "herd mentality" where you think anything is alright as long as everyone is doing it?
    The focus is not how much i have,it's only a guild line to how i curb my spending.
    I speak what i observe and people dam know i'm thick skin to voice my opinions whatsoever.
    Pretense to me is not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    Some people thinks that money is the only thing that are able to make them look better in the living society, which is not true. They spend their hard-earned cash for expensive gadget for things that they hoped will increase people's respect and opinion about them.

1. There is a model who need to sell her branded stuff to pay her ticket for her holiday to Australia. She offered some of her designer bags for sale...

2. Someone's selling a $2,500 pro lens after using it for only 2 weeks because he needs money...

3. Someone who has a big HDTV, but sometimes have no money to live through the month, and approached a welfare organization for help.

4. Someone whose salary is under $2,000 but he's driving a car to work and his job actually does not need him to be driving. Closer to the end of months, he has no more money even to have lunch, so he buys a cheap packet of bread and eat it for lunch for several days each months.

For basic necessities, we have no choice. For example, we have to buy our flat which cost for example, $250,000, and we have to work the whole life to pay for it. This should be a priority. But a car is considered one of gadgets which actually won't affect your life if you don't have one.

I remember watching a programme in TV which explains a simple guideline to help people to learn some wisdom in using their money.

1. Your housing cost (mortgage or room rental) should not exceed 30% of your total household income, daily needs (Meals, PUB & Phone bills) under 35% of your total income, entertainment (including holidays) 15% of your household income, and the rest (minimal 20%) should go to your savings and emergencies.

2. Don't buy gadgets which cost more than 10% of your total savings you have. For example, if you have $30,000 inside your savings, in one year do not buy more than $3,000 worth of gadgets. (The definition of gadgets is those things "you won't die if you don't have one").

3. Don't use your credit card. Use it only for emergencies, for example when suddenly you need to pay hospital bills.

I know that some people will look forward to burn me alive after reading this post of mine... I don't care, I am sharing the truth.
    A friend just borrowed 300$ from me and promise to pay me back by month end.
    He however does not have a job currently and the MAIN reason why he borrow is because his family ran into financial troubles and him being someone who relies on his parents for money means no more 'mik'.
    He doesn't have $ to take transport to look for a job but surprisingly the money he took from me went to shopping and movies.
    Do I feel a lack of piorities here?

A friend just borrowed 300$ from me and promise to pay me back by month end.
    He however does not have a job currently and the MAIN reason why he borrow is because his family ran into financial troubles and him being someone who relies on his parents for money means no more 'mik'.
    He doesn't have $ to take transport to look for a job but surprisingly the money he took from me went to shopping and movies.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I suggest you don't lend money to such friends and you don't generalise people's behaviors.
    problem solved.

I'm not supporting gratuitous spending.
    However you are forgetting to place a value on satisfaction you gain from buying things.
    It's easy to count everything in dollars and cents but you must factor in psychological costs also.
    And let's be honest, people do judge you based on the things you own.
    otherwise you won't be aspiring to own a nice house.

vince123123
    Guests

Actually wrong. The idea should be "dont use your credit card if you can't pay up fully at the end of the month".

I use my credit card for as many transactions as I can because I pay up fully. I earn credit card points and get cash rebates for doing so.

A friend just borrowed 300$ from me and promise to pay me back by month end. He however does not have a job currently and the MAIN reason why he borrow is because his family ran into financial troubles and him being someone who relies on his parents for money means no more 'mik'. He doesn't have $ to take transport to look for a job but surprisingly the money he took from me went to shopping and movies.

I think the term "lack of brain" is the most accurate to describe such person.

I had one bad experience too... my friend borrowed $200 from me and it was very-very hard to take back my money, he always had reasons that he don't have money. Only after more than 5 months I finally got my money back... And the disgusting part is that he is driving a car and his wife went to the Phillipines for holiday.

However you are forgetting to place a value on satisfaction you gain from buying things.
    It's easy to count everything in dollars and cents but you must factor in psychological costs also.
    As if I care how other people judge me.....I only care about how God judged me. my self-worth is not dependent on how other view me...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

his intentions and purposes aside

i think this generation needs to remember that for the most part, there are no longer any pension systems, at least not in singapore companies' context

it is not wrong to spend, when necessary, but headless chicken spending in some bizzare attempt to gain some sort of unfound satisfaction is what i observe amongst my generation, i am not quite as certain about yours.

i am pretty sure everyone can get some sort of perverse (yes, perverse) happiness out of throwing money into consumerism, from old to young; but the "let's think twice" statement seems to be made less and less these days - can you not say that it is a problem, especially when it is needed right now, more than ever?

we're not talking about some sort of entrepreneurship venture here, nothing to do with borrowing for a dream - we're talking about blatant wallowing in waste and doing it at others' expense. sometimes taxpayers' expense, sometimes parents' expense.. you can say, if the people are willing to give them money to waste, why not? but you still cannot deny that it is a problem, at that.

of course, there is no solution to this problem, it begins at home, and has to end at home.

I think the term "lack of brain" is the most accurate to describe such person.

I had one bad experience too... my friend borrowed $200 from me and it was very-very hard to take back my money, he always had reasons that he don't have money. Only after more than 5 months I finally got my money back... And the disgusting part is that he is driving a car and his wife went to the Phillipines for holiday.
    You should be sympathising for your friend, his wife is spending all of his money away!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    his intentions and purposes aside

i think this generation needs to remember that for the most part, there are no longer any pension systems, at least not in singapore companies' context

it is not wrong to spend, when necessary, but headless chicken spending in some bizzare attempt to gain some sort of unfound satisfaction is what i observe amongst my generation, i am not quite as certain about yours.

i am pretty sure everyone can get some sort of perverse (yes, perverse) happiness out of throwing money into consumerism, from old to young; but the "let's think twice" statement seems to be made less and less these days - can you not say that it is a problem, especially when it is needed right now, more than ever?

we're not talking about some sort of entrepreneurship venture here, nothing to do with borrowing for a dream - we're talking about blatant wallowing in waste and doing it at others' expense. sometimes taxpayers' expense, sometimes parents' expense.. you can say, if the people are willing to give them money to waste, why not? but you still cannot deny that it is a problem, at that.

of course, there is no solution to this problem, it begins at home, and has to end at home.
    no one said anything about "blatant wallowing in waste"
    by saying that you are prejudging everyone's intentions when they spend money.

no one said anything about "blatant wallowing in waste"
    by saying that you are prejudging everyone's intentions when they spend money.
    ...and it is wrong to judge?

have you not judged me to be prejudging everyone's intentions?

if one cannot judge another's actions, choices, then this world is finished, i'm sure you know what i mean. or are you advocating this singaporean trend (it seems) of sitting on the fence for every issue alike, from large to small, to put up a facade of ultimate neutrality and seeming zendom? if you ask me, this is ludicrous, we are breeding a nation of jellyfishes who cannot have opinions for fear of erring in their judgement. what happened to the days of having an opinion, knowing what you stood for, and presenting logical reasons as to how you came to your judgement? if you had presented any logical refutation to my point of "wallowing in waste" i might concede or grudgingly agree to disagree. but here this amounts to saying that i have no right to judge anyone - then who has?

humans are thinking creatures, we are all entitled to judge. if a spends his money on a camera that he does not use, or b spends his money buying a condominium that he does not stay in or rent out, then c is by all means, entitled to have an opinion and stipulate this opinion out aloud.

your indirect "shut up, people have choices, maybe they have their reasons" statements amount to ultimate ridiculousness - taken further one could say that all murderers have a story, so they should be forgiven in the eyes of the law. for are we not "prejudging" them? when can one ever judge properly? 100 years later, 8000 discussion later? two could still bicker over another's reasons, for neither one is the person in question, and this is the way life works, it is too bad if you cannot see that.

why wallowing in waste? we have teenagers who change their handphones every month, for the sake of keeping up with the joneses; there are people here in these forums that leap from d40 to d80 to d300 and then d3 within the space of less than a quarter of a year - you can give them excuses, maybe they are stressed, maybe they are so constrained by all the entry level models that they have to reach further, go that extra distance - what i see is blatant wastage.

of course good comes out of it, the economy is driven further - but all good things come to an end, and this end comes when one's bank account is painfully empty when a rainy day comes by.

i could grant one that there is satisfaction in luxury goods - when one lives within his means. but what do you see these days? people waltzing into branded goods stores and asking for "the best". there is a huge difference between educated purchases and ridiculous, uninformed, blind pursuit of superficiality.
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th April 2008 at 03:10 PM.

As always, to each his own. Some people gain satisfaction in just owning and caressing the item. Some gain satisfaction in actually using what they have to the max. But nevertheless it is not wrong to comment or criticize. In fact only through commenting, complaining, criticizing that we learn if our views are right or wrong. No one is born smart and perfect.

Personally, I think it is still somewhat alright for teenagers not to have a big sum of backup money in the bank. After all, teenage-hood is short, enjoy it while you can. But of course lar, please don't go bankrupt yourself and bankrupt your friends by borrowing. Spend if you know you can pay back in a month or so. Go ahead empty the bank, if you know you can pay back REAL soon.

But empty it for a good reason lar. If it's to buy that entry dSLR model which you've been eyeing for years and you always wanted to groom that photography passion of yours. If it's emptying the bank to buy a D40->D80->D200->D300->D3, well done.

vince123123
    Guests

I think what mattlock is not saying that you cannot judge, and what he means by "prejudge" is to judge someone or something without access to all the facts, thereby making a premature (and possibly mistaken) judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...and it is wrong to judge?

have you not judged me to be prejudging everyone's intentions?

if one cannot judge another's actions, choices, then this world is finished, i'm sure you know what i mean. or are you advocating this singaporean trend (it seems) of sitting on the fence for every issue alike, from large to small, to put up a facade of ultimate neutrality and seeming zendom? if you ask me, this is ludicrous, we are breeding a nation of jellyfishes who cannot have opinions for fear of erring in their judgement. what happened to the days of having an opinion, knowing what you stood for, and presenting logical reasons as to how you came to your judgement? if you had presented any logical refutation to my point of "wallowing in waste" i might concede or grudgingly agree to disagree. but here this amounts to saying that i have no right to judge anyone - then who has?

humans are thinking creatures, we are all entitled to judge. if a spends his money on a camera that he does not use, or b spends his money buying a condominium that he does not stay in or rent out, then c is by all means, entitled to have an opinion and stipulate this opinion out aloud.

your indirect "shut up, people have choices, maybe they have their reasons" statements amount to ultimate ridiculousness - taken further one could say that all murderers have a story, so they should be forgiven in the eyes of the law. for are we not "prejudging" them? when can one ever judge properly? 100 years later, 8000 discussion later? two could still bicker over another's reasons, for neither one is the person in question, and this is the way life works, it is too bad if you cannot see that.

why wallowing in waste? we have teenagers who change their handphones every month, for the sake of keeping up with the joneses; there are people here in these forums that leap from d40 to d80 to d300 and then d3 within the space of less than a quarter of a year - you can give them excuses, maybe they are stressed, maybe they are so constrained by all the entry level models that they have to reach further, go that extra distance - what i see is blatant wastage.

of course good comes out of it, the economy is driven further - but all good things come to an end, and this end comes when one's bank account is painfully empty when a rainy day comes by.

i could grant one that there is satisfaction in luxury goods - when one lives within his means. but what do you see these days? people waltzing into branded goods stores and asking for "the best". there is a huge difference between educated purchases and ridiculous, uninformed, blind pursuit of superficiality.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I think what mattlock is not saying that you cannot judge, and what he means by "prejudge" is to judge someone or something without access to all the facts, thereby making a premature (and possibly mistaken) judgment.
    whatever he means, the reply is the same

if there is a trend, there is a trend; if we are to look at the entire thing on a case by case basis then no statements would ever have to be made

I've seen someone comment his earphone costs "oh not much just $400"... and I have seen people who can hardly afford a meal a day.

Quote Originally Posted by caitsith View Post
    Personally, I think it is still somewhat alright for teenagers not to have a big sum of backup money in the bank. After all, teenage-hood is short, enjoy it while you can. But of course lar, please don't go bankrupt yourself and bankrupt your friends by borrowing. Spend if you know you can pay back in a month or so. Go ahead empty the bank, if you know you can pay back REAL soon.
    I just hope that the teenagers are not spending their parent's hard-earned money carelessly! "You think money fall from the sky, is it!" I certainly pray my children will be sensible enough not to waste money I worked hard for!

There are more ways to enjoy life than to buying more material goods! and its not just for teenagers, also for adults and old chaps too!

For the some of you indulging in useless paragraphs of words that say nothing, go read up on Maslow.

When did these topic become about judgement? I thought we were all supposed to comment about .....

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    For the some of you indulging in useless paragraphs of words that say nothing, go read up on Maslow.
    Wow! throwing big words around...assuming everyone as deep as you huh? Where are you now on the hierachy of needs huh?

Quote Originally Posted by AverRal View Post
    I seen both ends of the spectrum on this issue and i find that language is a telling factor... if the person has good usage of language which flows in a certain rhythm that is pleasing to the ears... chances are that he is well to do.
    That is about as discriminating a statement I have heard for a long time ...

Back to the original topic. Singapore is a very brand conscious society. Singapore is also at the top of the list of per capita personal credit usage in the world.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast