Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

  1. #1

    Default Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    yes no?

    I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    What does that mean? Living on credit?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    I think there's less of a "savings" culture than before.
    staying with parents+ later marriages or not getting married = more money to spend on yourself for goods

  4. #4

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    What does that mean? Living on credit?

    That is one possibility.
    But i believe most people,especially youngsters,specifically teenagers do not have credit cads but have already earned themselve the title "flashy clothes but empty pockets"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    That is one possibility.
    But i believe most people,especially youngsters,specifically teenagers do not have credit cads but have already earned themselve the title "flashy clothes but empty pockets"
    Haha I am the other way round. I think my dressing is relatively lok kok, 'cause I spend on gear.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    My clothes are so worthless, but I'm quite financially full
    Meow!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    My clothes are so worthless, but I'm quite financially full
    It' better to be finacially stable

    Somehow i find it amusing that some people around me are don in branded stuff but their bank are virtually empty and have to constantly borrow $ from me and common friend

    I'm not saying i don't buy expensive stuff but i make sure i have at least 4 digits in keep and would never live off credit.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    It' better to be finacially stable

    Somehow i find it amusing that some people around me are don in branded stuff but their bank are virtually empty and have to constantly borrow $ from me and common friend

    I'm not saying i don't buy expensive stuff but i make sure i have at least 4 digits in keep and would never live off credit.
    Almost everybody lives off IOUs sooner or later, even the financially prudent. The idea is not not to borrow, but earn more and save more. Even when you have the money, you would rather keep it as cash and borrow from the bank for you know what I mean needs.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Almost everybody lives off IOUs sooner or later, even the financially prudent. The idea is not not to borrow, but earn more and save more. Even when you have the money, you would rather keep it as cash and borrow from the bank for you know what I mean needs.

    But living off IOU's practically means borrowing and paying later and aren't they generally for huge sums such as purchasing a car or aquiring homeownership?
    This makes perfect sense.

    However,i'm referring to youngster who have little in the bank.
    Most if not all of the time,i accidentally see a 'worthless' bank account whenever the teenage infront of me finishes his transactions.[you know,the machine demostrate the account balance]
    And ironically,it is these 'people' who borrows the most from me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    That is one possibility.
    But i believe most people,especially youngsters,specifically teenagers do not have credit cads but have already earned themselve the title "flashy clothes but empty pockets"
    It's their choice. Things are not the same like last time. So?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    It's their choice. Things are not the same like last time. So?
    So isn't it an ironic sight?
    Asmusement at it's best.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?
    You need to be their accountant to know whether they are financially empty or not.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Yes and no. Depending on the individual.

    Some people are going for it to up their social class so they can blend in easily with others of similar standing...

    Some others are genuinely well to do and they have to maintain a certain image to others.

    With the influx of second hand branded goods shops and imported fake AAA+ grade branded goods... wearing branded goods not a predictive measure of a person's wealth.

    The differing factor is the way the person carries himself in public - in terms of mannerism and courtesy that determines if he of a certain social standing.

    I seen both ends of the spectrum on this issue and i find that language is a telling factor... if the person has good usage of language which flows in a certain rhythm that is pleasing to the ears... chances are that he is well to do.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by AverRal View Post
    Yes and no. Depending on the individual.

    Some people are going for it to up their social class so they can blend in easily with others of similar standing...

    Some others are genuinely well to do and they have to maintain a certain image to others.

    With the influx of second hand branded goods shops and imported fake AAA+ grade branded goods... wearing branded goods not a predictive measure of a person's wealth.

    The differing factor is the way the person carries himself in public - in terms of mannerism and courtesy that determines if he of a certain social standing.

    I seen both ends of the spectrum on this issue and i find that language is a telling factor... if the person has good usage of language which flows in a certain rhythm that is pleasing to the ears... chances are that he is well to do.
    How is the quality of language used an indication of one's financial background?
    Certainly,there isn't any co-relation between these two.

    Anyway,let's not derail.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Haha, you will be quite surprised actually.

    Look out for the amount of metaphors they use in their daily language.

    It is a better indication compared to branded goods.

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    How is the quality of language used an indication of one's financial background?
    Certainly,there isn't any co-relation between these two.

    Anyway,let's not derail.

  16. #16
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    There's s saying which goes we tend to be asset 'rich' but cash 'poor' ...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    But living off IOU's practically means borrowing and paying later and aren't they generally for huge sums such as purchasing a car or aquiring homeownership?
    This makes perfect sense.

    However,i'm referring to youngster who have little in the bank.
    Most if not all of the time,i accidentally see a 'worthless' bank account whenever the teenage infront of me finishes his transactions.[you know,the machine demostrate the account balance]
    And ironically,it is these 'people' who borrows the most from me.
    it's a new world. I don't see anything ironic about this.
    so what if your bank account has 4 figures?
    did someone piss you off by borrowing money from you, that you have to make all these snide remarks and generalisations about such people

    "I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?"

    you seem to already started the topic wanting to accuse people of this so why not just drop the pretense about "older working people" making such comments and state:
    "people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty."

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Just take a look around clubsnap forum here. Many are buying photo gear in the name of hobby, but waiting for their pay or borrowing to make their purchase. Many are getting that way too can't afford it lens or top end camera and then complaining got no money left except to eat grass until the next paycheck or look for a discount of $10 - 20 to save money or no money to buy dry cabinet or cleaning cloth...8) Don't flame me....I am not condemning anyone, just making observations only.

    Anyway, what does it matter? Its their life. In every generation, there are people who do not save, and there are people who do not spend.

    As for me, there is a need to have extra set aside for the future, and only if you have extra, then spend on your needs, not your wants. No point buying all those gadgets and then don't even have savings for your daily needs. Its not how much you spend, but how much you don't spend. You can get by with a low income, if you know how to spend wisely.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?
    If you don't spend the money to buy cameras and lenses now, when you've gone into The Other World the money they burn for you can only buy paper DSLRs and paper L lenses.

    Better off feeling the solid things in your warm little hands now.
    Last edited by Sion; 9th April 2008 at 09:17 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

    [QUOTE=blive;3916388]Just take a look around clubsnap forum here. Many are buying photo gear in the name of hobby, but waiting for their pay or borrowing to make their purchase. Many are getting that way too can't afford it lens or top end camera and then complaining got no money left except to eat grass until the next paycheck....../QUOTE]

    This is very true.

    I haven't been eating real food for three days after I've bought the original Canon 72mm lens cap.
    Last edited by Sion; 9th April 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •