Thread: Need advice on Sigma 30 1.4

Default Need advice on Sigma 30 1.4

hey guys, recently interested in this lens as a cheap replacement for FA31.. general comments are it's very sharp even wide open. but there are common build quality problems.

anyone used or using this lens? can give me some advice? also, do all sigma HSM lenses support pentax now?

thanks

Default Re: Need advice on Sigma 30 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Equatorer View Post
    hey guys, recently interested in this lens as a cheap replacement for FA31.. general comments are it's very sharp even wide open. but there are common build quality problems.

anyone used or using this lens? can give me some advice? also, do all sigma HSM lenses support pentax now?

thanks
    It's a very good lens if you get a good copy. But heard some copies got focusing problem. Probably not a big deal if you are using K20D (can adjust AF yourself). I guess the best way is to buy in person so you can check it out before purchase.

Currently there is no Sigma HSM available on Pentax cameras, but heard Sigma is making some PK mount lenses w/ HSM support.

thanks fengwei, I will consider that..

Saw it at OP just now... did ask about the price but cannot remember me getting old anyway i think is about 600 plus...

i rather go for the 31mm although its twice more expensive and slower
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

When I went to OP (Sim Lim Sq) in early Mar 08, the Pentax FA31 Limited was selling for $1250. I got a good copy of the Sigma 30mm/f1.4 for $620. OP offered a one-for-one exchange within 10 days of purchase. I was quite pleased with this service.

This Sigma 30mm/f1.4 when fully open is very sharp at the centre but a tad soft around the edges of a frame. But the overall rendition including colour, contrast and bokeh is quite acceptable to me. Given its price being 1/2 of the FA31, I am in fact more than happy to keep it as a walk-around lens. BTW, FengWei was correct - the current Pentax K mount version of Sigma 30mm/f1.4 has no HSM support.
    Last edited by palmtastic; 5th April 2008 at 04:40 PM.

yeah, interestingly, the 30/1.4 apparently has a curved focus area (i.e. items physically closer to the photographer will be in focus at the edges than at the center).