Thread: Remember APS?

Wink Remember APS?

Back in the mid-late 90s, it was supposed to be the new revolutionary format, but controversial nonetheless.

Anyone used it before, or still using it? I still see some cartridges being sold at certain processing labs, so I assume it's still in use? In Japan, it still seems rather popular as APS cartridges are quite plentiful and easy to find.

I had a Nikon Nuvis Mini i, followed by the Fujifilm Fotonex 250i. Those were interesting times.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Remember APS?

i remember buying one from fuji (cant remember the model no.) back in 1996/1997. bought it 'cos i needed to have my own cam whilst being away from singapore for a few years. couldnt really borrow one from my dad. it was my very first 'personal' cam. before that, i had always used whatever my dad had - nikon and canon slrs, 110 compacts, an olympus xa/xa2 and even a kodak disc cam!!!

that fuji fotonex is long gone... now i still have a canon elph jr aka L1 and some olympus newpic thingy. got about 6 or 7 rolls of aps film left in my fridge. too bad there's no more b&w aps film....

its fun to shoot! allows the use of 16:9
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.

I still have one almost brand new Minolta in my cupboard.

Read that it is one of the things that killed Minolta other than the lawsuit by Honeywell over the patent issues of the AF system. They were the ones pushing for the APS system, invested a lot of money into it, then suddenly came the Digital camera. Could not recover the money invested and got into a lot of financial difficulities as a result.
    Last edited by cairocks; 5th April 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Judging from how quiet this thread is, doesn't seem like it was popular, even at its peak. The top end cam was the Canon EOS IX. To think I nearly wanted to get it. I think I still see one on sale at Standard Photo, Causeway Point!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman