View Poll Results: Best Flash Difusser for Events

Voters
669. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gary Fong AKA LightSphere

    144 21.52%
  • Stofen Omni-Bounce

    217 32.44%
  • Flip-It

    81 12.11%
  • ABBC

    32 4.78%
  • Normal bounce card

    129 19.28%
  • Others

    66 9.87%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 143

Thread: Best Flash Difusser for Events

  1. #101

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    What do you guy's think about the LumiQuest Quik-Bounce? It adjusts easily for shooting vertical or horizontal, expands the light, and adjusts for both indoor and outdoor uses. My disappointment with the fong is that it really doesn't do anything outdoors, you have to have walls and a ceiling. Outdoors I just lose flash power. I like the balance of 20% of catchlight on the subject to replace the shadows you get under your subjects nose, chin, eyebrows, with 80% bounce to add some depth.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by ahguan View Post
    Check out this new ingenious product... i think we should call it the light bowl

    innovative! did he apply for a patent ?

  3. #103

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    how abt garyfong origami? good ?

  4. #104

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by ahguan View Post
    Check out this new ingenious product... i think we should call it the light bowl

    I guess it was a porridge pack he did take home. It could be smelly while flashing.

  5. #105
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    This survey would be more interesting if someone could take photos of the same subject with all the different options and show the effect of each diffuser.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Here are some of the portable diffusers that I use:

    Soft Box by LumiQuest

    Bounce flash card

    Sto-fen Omni bounce

    Small sock-like diffuser (ordered from Hong Kong for less than $5 USD)


    All do a good job of diffusing the light.

    When the subject is close and/or I am shooting in close quarters, I prefer to use the Omni bounce or the small sock-like diffuser on a flash that is attached directly to the hot shoe.

    However, I usually do not attach my flash directly to my hot shoe. Instead, I use a long sync cord so that I can place my flash farther from the camera.

    In a small room with light walls and ceilings, the Omni bounce and the small sock diffuser do a good job.

    In a large room with walls and ceiling that are too far away to reflect light, the bounce card and soft box do a better job.

    Sometimes, I will use the Omni bounce and the bounce card together.

    I usually use more than one flash. My favorite set up is to use the Soft Box on a flash attached to my camera via a long sync cord as my main light and a remote flash with the Omni bounce as a fill light and/or a background light.

  7. #107
    Member Kenneth67C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Shanghai, China, China
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    I use the Demb Pro Diffuser:

    http://www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

  8. #108
    Member yu jianzhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Bounce card on my SB-600 which i got it 2 weeks ago

    DIY Bounce Card lol i make it myself and it cost 20 cents to do that lol
    Only Good thing about CS Worth Watching is Kopitiam And B&S Section ... , no offence

  9. #109

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Cathay man intro me that, he said many pro use it, but im not sure. Is bulk imo.
    Did not get that, and get LumiQuest softbox II instead.


    Quote Originally Posted by ahguan View Post
    Check out this new ingenious product... i think we should call it the light bowl


  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dapao
    Cathay man intro me that, he said many pro use it, but im not sure. Is bulk imo.
    Did not get that, and get LumiQuest softbox II instead.
    Why nt sb3?

  11. #111

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Omni bounce for outdoor shoots. i tried using a self made bounce card and the strong winds threatened to blow the card away although it was attached securely to the flash with velcro.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    These videos will tell you how to select the appropriate flash modifier for different situations. Sorry to burst your bubble, gopperlie, but the omni bounce does nothing in an outdoor situation other than waste flash power.










    Last edited by brapodam; 19th February 2011 at 12:50 PM.

  13. #113

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    These videos will tell you how to select the appropriate flash modifier for different situations. Sorry to burst your bubble, gopperlie, but the omni bounce does nothing in an outdoor situation other than waste flash power.










    i don't own a flash yet but i do read about them online somewhat
    thanks for sharing these links, i find them highly informative
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  14. #114
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    This survey would be more interesting if someone could take photos of the same subject with all the different options and show the effect of each diffuser.
    I did some sample shots comparing bounce flash, GaryFong LS2, Lambency and Demb Flip it Jumbo.
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2011/03/flash-diffuser-shootout.html

  15. #115

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    In the few instances where my dad will let me use his flash guns, i just take a large handkerchief, tie it over the flash gun and off i go.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I did some sample shots comparing bounce flash, GaryFong LS2, Lambency and Demb Flip it Jumbo.
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2011/03/flash-diffuser-shootout.html
    Your test involved having the flashes in a (I think small) indoor environment, where the Lightsphere can spread the light all around and let it bounce off walls and not just the ceiling, and it naturally works pretty well. It is only 1 type of environment, and not all events are held in that type of environment. I believe there is no one best diffuser, and the photographer must know when to use which diffuser. I've seen people stick the Lightsphere on in outdoor environments, and that doesn't really help much.

  17. #117
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Your test involved having the flashes in a (I think small) indoor environment, where the Lightsphere can spread the light all around and let it bounce off walls and not just the ceiling, and it naturally works pretty well. It is only 1 type of environment, and not all events are held in that type of environment. I believe there is no one best diffuser, and the photographer must know when to use which diffuser. I've seen people stick the Lightsphere on in outdoor environments, and that doesn't really help much.
    Yes. That is correct. In big halls, the lightsphere type of diffuser will become a lot less efficient, and will drain your flash batteries out really fast. In outdoor, the lightsphere is practically useless.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yes. That is correct. In big halls, the lightsphere type of diffuser will become a lot less efficient, and will drain your flash batteries out really fast. In outdoor, the lightsphere is practically useless.
    How abt lightsphere with chromedome?
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

  19. #119

    Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

    Quote Originally Posted by Zahne View Post
    How abt lightsphere with chromedome?
    That thing soaks up even more light lol, so unless you use it with the flash very close to the subject and point it directly at them, not much use I think.

  20. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson
    Curious... anyone did some test shot comparison between the LightSphere & Omni-Bounce?
    Can I use LS for macro

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •