32 4.78%
  • Normal bounce card

129 19.28%
  • Others

66 9.87%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Flash Difusser for Events

Default Re: Best Flash Difusser for Events

Not sure if anyone has posted any test photos using various bounce techniques in this forum. I would always like to know the effect from various bounce techniques.

Did some test shots with Canon 450D camera, and 580EX II speed light.

#1 External flash - direct flash.

#2 External flash with Stofan Onmi Bounce - direct flash.

#3 External flash - upright - bounced from ceiling.

#4 External flash - upright - with build in bounce card.

#5 External flash - upright - with self made 4X6 bounce card.

Last edited by unclesam; 10th January 2009 at 08:55 PM.
    Canon EOS 450D, BG-E5, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 580EX II

#6 No flash. Natural lighting.

Canon EOS 450D, BG-E5, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 580EX II

unclesam! Thanks for the comparison.

I question: Is your ceiling light peach in colour like ur walls? Ur bounced like looks very warm.

i got the demb+flip-it.
    I wonder how the pics will turn out, given the same setup and subjects.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Curious... anyone did some test shot comparison between the LightSphere & Omni-Bounce?

Hi Soons,

The ceiling is not exactly white, but very much lighter in color when compared to the wall color.

IMHO, using bounce card showed better result than just bouncing off the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    unclesam! Thanks for the comparison.

I question: Is your ceiling light peach in colour like ur walls? Ur bounced like looks very warm.
    Last edited by unclesam; 11th January 2009 at 11:22 AM.

I still love the bounce card.

Doesn't this exercise show that if there is sufficient light, no flash is best? No flash looks the most natural.

I see photographers who fire the flash at every opportunity, even when there is sufficient light, and fill flash is not necessary. Obviously don't know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiski View Post
    if ceiling isn't too high, and is white, then no diffuser (100% bounce)

if ceiling is so-so (ie. nearly white, but still bouncy) then i'll use the FULL piece of matt A4 photo paper ala. a-better-bounce-card, which i assume is ABBC on the voting thing..

if ceiling is crap (you know what i mean lah..) then demb flip it. big one pls.

if ceiling is crap and I want more natural/warmer portaits, then the white opaque fong-dong is da bomb (sorry..couldn't help it..lol)

I also like to stuff coloured paper/plastic in the fong dong for to interesting effect..heh..or alternatively, coloured condoms anyone?

i HATE the stofen omni-bounce ( hah..there i said it... -grin- )
    hmm. Wat if its outdoors i.e. at night with little lighting? Do we use the bounce card or the lightsphere?

haha, I swear by my DIY PVC bounce card.

i prefer bounce card or lightsphere. whaletail when i want to be funny(toilet bowl)

WhaleTail FTW!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

both the Sto-Fen and the Lumiquest pro-max

I like the Gary Fong products, especially the Whailtail although I only buy the copies as the originals are too expensive for me...

After trying both the ABBC and good 'ol Sto-fen cup, I've decided to stick to Sto-fen cup for events (and more actually), it just works and by the way, I have now nicely cut a hole on the top eliminating the cut of light output. So now I get full power to the ceiling or wherever am bouncing too. and not it's not that hard, any pen-knife will do... just be patient and cut nicely else, you'll get angry at yourself for no reason. LOL.

Basically, I can't be bothered by the rest. Sto-fen does the job and am happy with how the images turn out. Also, at the end of the day, factors such as bouncing angle and balancing flash and ambient light affects the final result so, it's more than just what you use for your flash modifier.
    Last edited by rendition; 9th June 2009 at 09:17 AM.

i use ring flash for now
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Doesn't this exercise show that if there is sufficient light, no flash is best? No flash looks the most natural.

I see photographers who fire the flash at every opportunity, even when there is sufficient light, and fill flash is not necessary. Obviously don't know what they are doing.
    actually they do...rather then forget to on the flash, safer to leave it on all the time.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post

It really depends on what are the things you are shooting and the surrounding.
    Of cos firing flash at a bright daylight shooting landscape/scenary is redundant.
    If it is a portraiture shot, then i would fire it most of the time to get the catchlight on eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    definably,
    you need a good camera, good lens, good lens hood, good flash, good CF cards, good batteries, good camera bag, good shoes....... everything must be good..

and one last thing, need a good brain.
    I like that! Brain... wo it everything will fail.. I think it includes planning... getting backup etc

I like the self-made card... less shadow but all flash shows warm colour!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast