Thread: Noise, ISO and neatimage

Default Noise, ISO and neatimage

Was wondering which to do.
    Should i....

1)Use a higher ISO, thus getting a properly exposed but grainy pic, then neatimage

2)Set a lower ISO with less grain, underexposed, then level later. And do neatimage as well?

Which is better.

oh, how many stops underexposed can a picture still look good, salvaged, after doing level in PS.
    Last edited by blizzy; 13th June 2003 at 09:33 PM.

1 stop underexposed is ok, autolevel + slight colour cast correction and it will still look fine.

Sometimes I go up to 2stops under, but the resultant colour cast is quite difficult to correct.

I would think it might be better to underexpose and use both neat image and levels correction.

What camera are u using btw?

using pro90is.

At iso 200, the grain is rather bad. have to neatimage definitely.

heh...wat's neatimage huh??

Originally posted by kelster
    heh...wat's neatimage huh??

www.neatimage.com

a software to reduce noise.

hmm...is the software free?...tried the site...but seems to have some problem....

If your camera has a histogram, use it. You can underexpose as long as the darker regions are not getting clipped. If the histogram is clumped in the dark end, then the image is too underexposed, and the details in the shadows cannot be recovered, bcoz they were not captured in the first place. In that case, i would bump up the ISO. In other words, as long as the histogram says 'ok', i would prefer to underexpose.

About the colour cast: when you underexpose, some of the colour channels may be in the 'too dark' region, although the combined histogram says 'ok'. This results in the colour cast. Very hard to correct. Can avoid by not letting the histogram go too near the complete black region.

i'm using a 10D. i would go as high as ISO800 - above that i would rather risk camera shake or i won't bother with the shot. NeatImage is awfully slow. (Though it does wonders.)

What's a pro90is?

Originally posted by ST1100
    What's a pro90is?
    It's an old Prosumer Canon digital camera with x10 zoom, optimal image stabiliser and about 3 mega pixels ... I think.

I stand corrected. 2.6 megapixels. Too bad they couldn't make full use of the 3.3 megapixel CCD it comes with.