Thread: How to get a second ISP Address from the same Computer?

Default How to get a second ISP Address from the same Computer?

If I need a different ISP address from the same computer, I will need to have to subscribe to a second ISP service?

And it is possible for a computer to use two ISP services one ADSL through the phone line and another one wireless?

Thanks.

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: How to get a second ISP Address from the same Computer?

I think one computer can only use one TCPIP service at one time if I am not wrong. Experts can help verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If I need a different ISP address from the same computer, I will need to have to subscribe to a second ISP service?

And it is possible for a computer to use two ISP services one ADSL through the phone line and another one wireless?

Thanks.
    hmm, u can bridge them, if i think you are saying it correctly. meaning, u got 2 internet connection, at the same time. Did that last time when ISP are starting broadband. 1 Cable, 1 ADSL.

But you can't choose which one you are using unless you disable them both and on one at a time.

btw, y u need 2 ISP? u got clones?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Easiest way is to buy a dual WAN router and connect this to your two internet connections (eg. cable modem and adsl modem). You can set it up such that both are used at the same time or only one.
    Last edited by gooseberry; 3rd April 2008 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Easiest way is to buy a dual WAN router and connect this to your two internet connections (eg. cable modem and adsl modem). You can set it up such that both are used at the same time or only one.
    I've got a desktop computer and a laptop.

Probably the way to go is to use adsl modem on desktop and a wireless ISP service on laptop so that each computer will have a different ISP address?

All I want is to be able to use two different ISP addresses.

At the moment the laptop is accessing the same ISP via wireless router.
    Last edited by Sion; 3rd April 2008 at 10:24 AM.

No I want to use the ISP service with a different address one at a time.
    then get 2 ethernet card, put in your system, then enable either one to use.

probably you have to do this... if XP

start ->run
    type 'cmd'
    in the dos prompt type 'ipconfig /renew'

it will refresh the ip address accordingly
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I've got a desktop computer and a laptop.

Probably the way to go is to use adsl modem on desktop and a wireless ISP service on laptop so that each computer will have a different ISP address?

All I want is to be able to use two different ISP addresses.

At the moment the laptop is accessing the same ISP via wireless router.

Just to get an understanding of what you have and what you want to do...

You have an internet connection with one ISP at the moment, and you have a wireless router connected to this (which I assume is via a cable modem ?). Both your desktop and laptop are now connected to this wireless router.

You now want to get another ISP connection ? Do you want both desktop and laptop to be able to use this second connection ? Or only one of them ? Do you want to use the two connections at the same time (eg. you could load balance the two connections to get better performance) or only one at a time ?

In your original post, you were asking if you could use two different ISP connections from the same machine - which the easiest solution is to use a dual WAN router.
    Last edited by gooseberry; 3rd April 2008 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Just to get an understanding of what you have and what you want to do...

You have an internet connection with one ISP at the moment, and you have a wireless router connected to this (which I assume is via a cable modem ?). Both your desktop and laptop are now connected to this wireless router.

You now want to get another ISP connection ? Do you want both desktop and laptop to be able to use this second connection ? Or only one of them ? Do you want to use the two connections at the same time (eg. you could load balance the two connections to get better performance) or only one at a time ?

In your original post, you were asking if you could use two different ISP connections from the same machine - which the easiest solution is to use a dual WAN router.
    Thanks.

Questions replied through PM as they are related to sensitive commercial strategy.
    Last edited by Sion; 3rd April 2008 at 11:48 AM.