Thread: Types of filter for dslr lens.

Default Types of filter for dslr lens.

Dear Moderators and Sifus,
    May I know is it necessary to use branded UV filter ? I have two UV filters- Hoya UV and Sakure UV. I put them on my Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Hsm Macro lens. Some photographers told me UV filters are mainly to protect our lens from scratching, reduce hazing effect and dusty. They used ordinary UV filters. Whereas another group of photographers emphasized on the quality of UV and BW filters to obtain good effect on their photos. Could you please tell me which is true? I hope to learn from you all so that I could teach my students in the school. I thank you.

Default Re: Types of filter for dslr lens.

Quote Originally Posted by cikguyan View Post
    Dear Moderators and Sifus,
    May I know is it necessary to use branded UV filter ? I have two UV filters- Hoya UV and Sakure UV. I put them on my Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Hsm Macro lens. Some photographers told me UV filters are mainly to protect our lens from scratching, reduce hazing effect and dusty. They used ordinary UV filters. Whereas another group of photographers emphasized on the quality of UV and BW filters to obtain good effect on their photos. Could you please tell me which is true? I hope to learn from you all so that I could teach my students in the school. I thank you.
    UV filters are mainly used for protections for the lens however there are other filters such as cpl , Nd filters which have different uses so u may consider getting whichever that suits u
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

For me, I am using Hoya filters, namely the HMC and the ordinary ones. I am comfortable with the filters and indeed they serve their purpose to protect the lenses.

There are also Pro1 Digital filters which are meant for digital camera.

I guess its good to visit HOYA website to check out what you want to know.

Good luck
    Let's get rolling :)

depends on what you want the filter for

if you want to keep it on when shooting and you are very anal about image quality (when printing large size, etc) then you probably should get a better one

otherwise, no filter frankly is always best (at least uv filter).. you put b&w la, etc.. if just to protect.. how to not degrade image? lens is designed to shoot with filter leh

i always take mine off when shooting.. mainly to protect the lens only.. for cheaper lens also, never even put any uv filter on, so ley chey to take out

more expensive filters are less prone to flaring, ghosting, i.e. giving very funny light things, and do not degrade your image quality too much.
    cheaper ones are well, advantageous in that they are cheap

frankly, there is no right and wrong answer, the reason why you are getting a mixture of answers is because people think differently, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    depends on what you want the filter for

if you want to keep it on when shooting and you are very anal about image quality (when printing large size, etc) then you probably should get a better one

otherwise, no filter frankly is always best (at least uv filter).. you put b&w la, etc.. if just to protect.. how to not degrade image? lens is designed to shoot with filter leh

i always take mine off when shooting.. mainly to protect the lens only.. for cheaper lens also, never even put any uv filter on, so ley chey to take out

more expensive filters are less prone to flaring, ghosting, i.e. giving very funny light things, and do not degrade your image quality too much.
    cheaper ones are well, advantageous in that they are cheap

frankly, there is no right and wrong answer, the reason why you are getting a mixture of answers is because people think differently, as usual.
    true..true...

To TS,

If you want to teach your student there are 2 ways....

a) technical specifications based on the sciences, which you can do a search online about the optics and physics in photography

b) personal preferences.

Personally, I am not an expert, but I mostly put a UV filter to protect the lenses, and try to use other types of filter for a different images...mostly CP or ND filters.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Dear spazzer,
    Thanks for your sharing on filters.

Dear NoMoney,

Dear night86mare,